Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Cartoons and children's specials that scared you as a kid

I honestly remember being terrified of the Snow Monster on Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer and of the Winter Warlock from Santa Claus is Coming To Town.

Don't get me wrong, I watched them both every year (and still do), but I would hide my eyes when those two villains came on. brrrrr

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I honestly remember being terrified of the Snow Monster on Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer and of the Winter Warlock from Santa Claus is Coming To Town.

Don't get me wrong, I watched them both every year (and still do), but I would hide my eyes when those two villains came on. brrrrr
    Damn! I thought I was the only one who got a major league case of the shivers as a kid when I saw him! Whoa! Good to know I'm not alone!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Back when Drive-in theaters ran cartoons before a movie there was a cartoon where a man put a hot towel on his face and his face ended up on the towel with his head blank and the face on the towel staring back
    at the head in shock. Don't even know what cartoon that was or the context. I am sure it was meant to be funny. But that scared the hell out of me.

Inhumanoids was pretty freaky stuff at times. Basically it was from Marvel's animation deal with Hasbro, but instead of transforming alien robots and soldiers, it was Lovecraftian horrors.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Disney's "The Truth About Mother Goose" : the Little Jack Horner and Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary segments gave me some shivers, like Jack Horner haunted by the voices intoning the poem as he cowered in his spooky mansion, and Mary, Queen of Scots going to her execution. And of course, Ichabod Crane and The Headless Horseman!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Damn! I thought I was the only one who got a major league case of the shivers as a kid when I saw him! Whoa! Good to know I'm not alone!
    No, you are not alone, man. I like the old days where writers and creators didn't feel kids should be shielded from terrifying monsters in fairy tales.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Peter Parker agonizingly growing four extra arms in 90s TAS scared me so badly I couldn't even watch the reruns for years.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Courage the cowardly dog use to freak me out if I woke up in the middle of the night and it was on.

Definitely the Arachnoid:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Both of my kids when they were 3-4 years old refused to watch because of the Bumble. So it's multi-generational too!

A couple of the old GI Joe cartoons freaked me out when I was a kid, especially the ones involving Dr. Mindbender. Such as turning this character named Iceberg into a Killer Whale as the transformation was too much for me. Also the episode in which Mindbender would transfer a woman's youth into an older woman making the older woman young and the younger woman would end up losing her face. And of course, there was the GI Joe animated movie featuring the intro of Cobra-La in which Duke almost dies during a battle with Serpentor. The way it was done was too graphic.

I know there's something, but it seems I suppressed it.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

In 1985 there was a claymation special called The Adventures of Mark Twain.

After having a bout of one-upmanship, Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and Becky Thatcher sneak aboard an airship piloted by Mark Twain in an attempt to become famous aeronauts. Upon discovery, they find that Mark Twain intends to pilot the airship to meet Halley's Comet. Worried that this goal will end in their deaths, the trio learn to fly the ship while conspiring to sabotage the voyage.

After discovering the truth behind Twain's journey, the trio recognize their folly, and the group navigates storms and treacherous skies with the help of a mysterious dark figure who turns out to be Mark Twain's dark side. The two Twains merge and fly off to meet the comet, leaving the airship in the hands of the youngsters.

The film features a series of vignettes extracted from several of Mark Twain's works, built around a plot that features Twain's attempts to keep his "appointment" with Halley's Comet.

One of the vignettes is based on Twain's work The Mysterious Stranger.

I never saw this as a kid, (and when it was released, I was 15 or so), but had I seen the "Mysterious Stranger" segment as a kid, I would've been freaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I honestly remember being terrified of the Snow Monster on Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
    lol I loooved that big stupid monster and an
    Kid lol
    "looky what he can do!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Courage the cowardly dog use to freak me out if I woke up in the middle of the night and it was on.
    Ha the episode about Muriel's nephew coming to visit and is obsessed with shaving.... ends up shaving poor Courage lol

No lie I this scene in sleeping beauty scared the sh!t outta me
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

Several Scooby Doo Where Are You episodes scared me, but this one was the ultimate one: