View Poll Results: What do you rate the issue?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

3 6.00%
  • ★ ★ ★ ★

10 20.00%
  • ★ ★ ★

19 38.00%
  • ★ ★

14 28.00%
  • 4 8.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Mutants [03]: To The Grave (Review & Spoilers)

We begin this issue with Armor and Glob discussing the mutant paradise that is Krakoa. This conversation carries over to a party happening at the Carousel, where Glob quickly abandons Armor to go dance with Pixie. Armor, however, wonders who isn’t enjoying life on Krakoa.

Armor visits Sage as they go through some names of who is and who isn’t on Krakoa. Armor stops at Beak and Angel. Confused as to why they aren’t on the island, Armor is determined to change their minds. Back in Akademos Habitat, Glob confesses that will all this free love happening on Krakoa, there might be a chance for him to pursue something with Pixie. Armor doesn’t care and neither do I, so she figures out why the couple aren’t on Krakoa and goes to visit the New Mutants, looking for Sunspot.

Armor arrives to an empty nest or not as empty as she thought. She finds Goddess Boom-Boom digging around in Roberto’s room for completely unknown reasons. Armor explains that she’s planning to visit Beak in Nebraska and needs some Krakoan medicine to bring with her. Bored out of her $%@!$&% mind, she says she’ll just do whatever she wants and will get it done in a few days.

Two days later, Armor and Glob are packed with everything they need and are ready to head through the Gate before they’re stopped by Maxime and Manon who desperately want to join them. They even recommend their usefulness in mind control, but Armor reprimands them that mutants need to make their own choice when it comes to joining Krakoa (ahem) and lets them join if they promise not to be shitty brats. They head up to Beak’s home and reunite with him, Angel, and the kids. As they catch up, Beak and Angel let the kids play outside. Armor’s Outreach team also say they know why they haven’t joined.

Beak’s dad has been infected with a new disease called Munus Motricum Dementia (also called the ‘Taylor Ellis’ disease or MMD). The disease results in a total body system shutdown where the patient eventually forgets how to walk or even breathe. 90% of those diagnosed have a mortality rate of 100% within a year. Anyway, Armor injects the medicine into the IV drip and Beak’s father recovers and is healed of his worldly diseases thanks to the grace of Krakoa!

A couple hours later, all the mutants are hanging out in the kitchen. Armor tells Beak and Angel that Mr Bohusk’s functions should be completely relearned within a couple months, and after that, they can join Krakoa. Before the two could talk some more, Beak notices there’s an unknown party on their lawn...and they have the KIDS!!

Armor and crew go outside to confront these human aggressors. The leader of the redneck crew says that they came by because they heard of the wonderful medicines that they don’t have access to and they want some or else. Armor goes to incapacitate them, but gets hit by, um, uhhh a power-dampening missile. The leader steps up and once again demands negotiation, or the kids are sacrificial lambs. To be continued....

Data Pages:

1) There’s one on the disease that Mr Bohusk has that goes in depth with how rare and deadly it is.

2) This page is major world building for Krakoa and specifically, the Akademos Habitat. This page details the living spaces of the Sextant which is home to the different generations of X-students throughout the years. They are divvied up by Greek Houses that each belong to a different group.

• DELTA House: Generation X
    • ZETA House: The New X-Men
    • BETA House: The Frost Academy
    • The Pod: The Five
    • Lifedeath: Communal
    • SIGMA House: The Jean Grey School
    • OMEGA House: [REDACTED]
    • ALPHA House: The New Mutants

Review: Meh. I enjoyed this issue more than Fallen Angels but less than X-Force but still felt painfully boring. I don’t know if it was because there was no emotional resonance when Armor and Beak and Angel reunited because they shouldn’t even know each other or how weird Angel acted. I hoped Angel and her kids sans Tito’s depowered status would be brought up but the kids have randomly been repowered so I’m guessing Angel is too. I’m more excited at how the Akademos Sextant developments will further be explored rather than this rescue. Boom-Boom was there so that’s a plus automatically.

I was caught by surprise the story had nothing to do with the New Mutants in space plot. The change in the art also gives the impresion it's not even the same book.

So I guess this title will cover all those "younger generations" of X-Men? With unrelated story arcs focusing on each generation at time?

The story was ok tho. I was really into it until those redneck-reavers showed up.

BANNED

“Meh” and “not even the same book” are great ways to describe this. It was ok which is a plunge in quality considering how good 1 & 2 were. Someone should let Brisson know Glob and the twins are dead weight. That he insists on carrying them around has me shaking my head.

It was a bit boring for me too. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been (less Glob than expected thank God) but it was so plain. Angel Salvadore didn't sound like Angel Salvadore. I was hoping that the reasons for them not being on Krakoa would have been more compelling than "we're busy now". Angel is totally the kind of character that would tell Xavier to **** off with his ideas, so I was expecting her to question Krakoa but no one did (I like the new status quo but some dissent is much needed).

The Akademos habitat description was nice. I wonder who lives in the Omega house.
    Last edited by Veitha; 12-11-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Oh and what is it with all the power dampening tech? I hope it gets explored because it's getting ridiculous. Mutants should start carrying weapons with them since their powers can be nullified so easily.

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

How the hell does a power dampening missile explode and effect Hisako THROUGH her armor.
    If it can go through her armor, the explosion should have killed her.
    If her armor can repel the explosions, the effect of the missile shouldn't have effected her at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    How the hell does a power dampening missile explode and effect Hisako THROUGH her armor.
    If it can go through her armor, the explosion should have killed her.
    If her armor can repel the explosions, the effect of the missile shouldn't have effected her at all.
    I assumed like an EMP kind of thing. Light still goes through her armor, one can assume most electromagnetic energy would too.

So I've always wondered why humans DIDN'T have more power dampening technology BUT DoX is giving us a **** ton.

How exactly does a missle explosion power dampen mutants?

Once it explodes it releases nano tech thats power dampening?

Too much power dampeninig.

It was ok-ish until the power-dampening missile thing. Seems lime everyone have power dampening things now

We have two telepaths and they couldn't disarm the terrorists?

Armor even interact a lot with Beak/angel? this felt a bit forced

I do like that the generation I read is actually called the New X-Men though.

Wish should make a thread of what students we think are in the Jean Grey School, Frost Academy, and New X-Men.

Didn't want to do this but after this issue I'm only gonna follow the space issues. After the awesome last issue this was a big time letdown.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    It was ok-ish until the power-dampening missile thing. Seems lime everyone have power dampening things now

The telepaths (one's an empath technically) are tactile only - no physical contact means no effect.
    And I don't remember Armor interacting with either of them ever.

This was cute but starting this at the third issue felt so out of place. Really think this should’ve happened in the X-Men book or something since that has a rotating cast anyway.

I love Angel and Beak but yeah, one of the Cuckoos should have spearheaded this in Armor’s place or something to give the reunion more depth.

Irma Cuckoo, Prodigy, Mercury, and Shark Girl would’ve maybe made more sense as a welcoming committee to cover the various generations.
    Last edited by MYCMTSC; 12-11-2019 at 08:13 AM.

This issue was so meh. I did not like the way Angel was written. What up with the kids? Didn’t they look different than that? What with the power dampening equipment? There was some okay stuff. The Boom-Boom stuff was funny, if I’m going to point out something.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post

This is the best to describe the issue. It was pretty laid back but the art and dialogue was good. But is Arno Stark giving away anti-mutant tech or something? C'mon.
    "Cable was right!"