Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #14

FNSM #14 - Tom Taylor's final FNSM issue is a wonderful single issue that also closes the volume well.

It's a wonderful valedictory issue, it's got some real emotion and some of the best Peter and Aunt May interactions ever. The entire issue is an adaptation of that line at then end of Spider-Man 2, "Isn't it time someone else saved your life?"

This is worthy of Paul Jenkins.

To me Taylor's entire 14 issue run on FNSM is criminally underrated. It features for my mind three all-time great issues (Spider-Bite, FNMJ, and this).

In terms of recent finale issues, it's not at the level of Zdarsky's SSM#311 but I would put it quite above Slott's ASM#801.

I see they had Reed and Kamala team-up... I wish we could see that in either Fantastic Four or Magnificent Ms. Marvel - they have similar powers and that should be explored in more than a one panel cameo.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

we got one more tom taylor spidey left with that hulk tie in one shot. so there that but yeah really enjoy this alot.

enjoyed this volume everybody that Peter help throughout the run helped him brings it back all together
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Spectacular Member

Dump Spencer stat, give ASM to Tom Taylor and let him write it for as many years as he wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by mrswing View Post
    Dump Spencer stat, give ASM to Tom Taylor and let him write it for as many years as he wants to.
    Or just keep FNSM going as it should have.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    FNSM #14 - Tom Taylor's final FNSM issue is a wonderful single issue that also closes the volume well.

It's a wonderful valedictory issue, it's got some real emotion and some of the best Peter and Aunt May interactions ever. The entire issue is an adaptation of that line at then end of Spider-Man 2, "Isn't it time someone else saved your life?"

This is worthy of Paul Jenkins.

To me Taylor's entire 14 issue run on FNSM is criminally underrated. It features for my mind three all-time great issues (Spider-Bite, FNMJ, and this).

In terms of recent finale issues, it's not at the level of Zdarsky's SSM#311 but I would put it quite above Slott's ASM#801.
    Cosigned, although Zdarsky's last Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man issue was 310, not 311, which was part 1 of the Spider-Geddon tie-in and should have frankly been its own miniseries.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It's settled. I'm going to make a custom bind with this run. And another for Zdarsky's Spectacular with Life Story. These have actually been better than ASM.

Now this was definitely a great issue but not on the level of Spider bite or the MJ stand alone. Those two were the highlight of the entire run. I’m sad to see the title go because now we are essentially left with one Spider-Man title. The problem is that particular title has really been struggling as of late.

All in all not the best time to be a Spiderman fan.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Now this was definitely a great issue but not on the level of Spider bite or the MJ stand alone. Those two were the highlight of the entire run. I’m sad to see the title go because now we are essentially left with one Spider-Man title. The problem is that particular title has really been struggling as of late.

All in all not the best time to be a Spiderman fan.
    You're exactly right. It hasn't been for a long time now. Not unlike 20 years ago, the character is due for a renaissance across titles (JMS, Jenkins, RAS, Bendis). Today, we're stuck with Peter David writing out of continuity titles for pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanParkerMan View Post
    You're exactly right. It hasn't been for a long time now. Not unlike 20 years ago, the character is due for a renaissance across titles (JMS, Jenkins, RAS, Bendis). Today, we're stuck with Peter David writing out of continuity titles for pleasure.
    Hasn't been all bad. We've gotten Zdarsky, Taylor, Life Story, City at War...and movies, we've gotten Into the Spider-Verse, Spider-Man: Far From Home, the PS4 game...yeah the comics are in a weird spot, but this has been a good few years for the web-slinger.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Hasn't been all bad. We've gotten Zdarsky, Taylor, Life Story, City at War...and movies, we've gotten Into the Spider-Verse, Spider-Man: Far From Home, the PS4 game...yeah the comics are in a weird spot, but this has been a good few years for the web-slinger.
    Completely agreed. There’s been some really great work done on the character whether through comic, movie or video game in the past years. It’s just that currently the comics are in a bit of a rut. Saying things have been bad for a long time is a bit extreme to me....Even Spencer’s run has had some really bright moments. Right now it’s just stale as hell though and I feel some fans are letting him off the hook for it because of how bad some people hated Slott.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Completely agreed. There’s been some really great work done on the character whether through comic, movie or video game in the past years. It’s just that currently the comics are in a bit of a rut. Saying things have been bad for a long time is a bit extreme to me....Even Spencer’s run has had some really bright moments. Right now it’s just stale as hell though and I feel some fans are letting him off the hook for it because of how bad some people hated Slott.
    Or more likely, people feel Spencer's run has been really good for the most part - regardless of whether they loved, hated, or had mixed feelings towards Slott's run - and it's easy enough to cut him some slack for a so-so arc.

The 2099 story line has been, most would agree, flat and before that was the just-ok AC crossover issues so, yeah, it's felt like ASM has been treading water for a few months but it's hardly like Spencer has been stinking up the joint for ages. If anything the last few months have only been disappointing because ASM was going along so well prior to that.

Solicitations for Jan and Feb promise a return to the ASM that fans were enjoying before things got sidetracked by back to back events.

As a longtime Spidey fan, I think it only shows how spoiled fans have become where a dud arc is an excuse to cry about how bad things are when there's generally an over-abundance of cool Spidey material in comics, movies, games and cartoons.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Or more likely, people feel Spencer's run has been really good for the most part - regardless of whether they loved, hated, or had mixed feelings towards Slott's run - and it's easy enough to cut him some slack for a so-so arc.

The 2099 story line has been, most would agree, flat and before that was the just-ok AC crossover issues so, yeah, it's felt like ASM has been treading water for a few months but it's hardly like Spencer has been stinking up the joint for ages. If anything the last few months have only been disappointing because ASM was going along so well prior to that.

Solicitations for Jan and Feb promise a return to the ASM that fans were enjoying before things got sidetracked by back to back events.

As a longtime Spidey fan, I think it only shows how spoiled fans have become where a dud arc is an excuse to cry about how bad things are when there's generally an over-abundance of cool Spidey material in comics, movies, games and cartoons.
    I actually completely agree with this. Approve this message and all. No sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

People have a short memory on things.

It just seems like there's a lot of conversation about the earlier stuff being better.

When Romita Jr left Amazing Spider-Man, there were arguments about how the book was nowhere near as good.
    When One More Day came along, suddenly the JMS New Avengers era was a groundbreaking step forward.
    When the Big Time era came long, the One More Day era was an economically realistic Spider-Man.
    When Superior Spider-Man came along, the Big Time era was a stretch of good Peter Parker stories.
    When Peter Parker came back, it was seen as a step down from Superior.
    And on and on.

I think there's a few reasons for this.

It feels like a long time when the comics are coming out, since it takes months for a story to finish.

When a story is done and it's just one set of back issues, it can be appreciated as a contribution to the larger mosaic, rather than a bunch of tiles you're looking at close up.

It also shapes our experiences if we know how it's going to end. If the end is a letdown, you take that into account when reading the issues, and enjoy them for what they are. But you could also see the seeds of something you like better (reading the Ends of the Earth and seeing the set-up for Superior Spider-Man, reading Civil War and seeing the set-up for Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1, etc.) That could easily happen with Spencer's 2009 arc. Maybe it ends in a really awesome way. Maybe there's a swerve we don't see coming about an ongoing storyline.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets