Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Question Which is the main DC universe post-Doomsday Clock?

Hi guys

Now that Doomsday Clock has ended, will DC relaunch it's comics?

Here's why I'm asking this (Doomsday Clock spoiler):

From what I understand, when Dr, Manhattan restored the green lantern ring within the reach of Allan Scott it bright back the Justice Society and the Legion of Super Heroes and restored the rest of DC's history pre-Flashpoint. But then Manhattan claimed that two earths were born, earth 1985 and earth 2. If I know my comics history right, isn't earth 1985 the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths history of the main DC universe? and isn't earth 2 the pre-Infinite Crisis history of the main DC timeline?

If so, then what do you call the current universe and which one of these worlds is the main DC universe?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And what are the odds of DC reboot its comic book series post-Doomsday Clock?
    Last edited by Mr_E_88; 12-21-2019 at 03:02 PM.

BANNED

Earth 0 is the main universe for now. They will just roll off history changes in book. Clarks Parents are back in Bendis books soon.

Earth 2 is pre crisis. But you have to keep in mind the Crisis and events in Doomsday Clock overrwritten how it all came to be.

Spectacular Member

Is earth 0 the one that we have now?

And if earth 2 is pre-crisis on infinite earths then what is earth 1985?

And what happened to the events and characters from pre-flashpoint, are they still connected to the main universe or do they have their own?

P.S: sorry for asking too many questions, I just love these things in comics and what to understand them.

BANNED

Both Earth 1985 (JLA) and 2 (JSA) are pre crisis kinda. As in based on their old versions.

Earth 52 is Nu52. But before DC rebirth and DC YOU.

Earth 0 history carrys on post crisis/zero hour/infinite crisis/final crisis/post rebirth/post metal but isnt exactly the same either. It's just now generational has elapsed time thanks to DC issue 12. It's the main Earth for now.

Earth 0's history will be shunt to Earth 5G in 2026. While Earth 0 will start anew.
    Last edited by Mr.B; 12-21-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Spectacular Member

That cleared up a lot, thanks

One last question:

When you said that earth 0's history will be shunt to earth 5g, does it include the event of post-crisis and the other events or just the events between rebirth and Doomsday clock?

And if all of the events are sent to earth5g, does that mean that earth 5g will be the new main universe?

Because I think that it may not work, since earth 5g is meant to be the next generation it needs to build its own history instead so the characters can be relatable.

What do you think?

For the time being,I mostly just read the Bendis stuff. Legion has been fairly easy to get into. Once the 5g thing happens , I’ll go in hard since I’m really interested in that. The rest, I’m just not a multiple universe guy. I don’t mind it if it’s used sparingly but when I see people talking about Earth 1985 my head hurts. I used to think Marvel was a mess with its multiple universes but man DC is right there. Hopefully, I just follow what writers I like without getting sucked into a maze of Earths! Having all the universes shouldn’t detract from my enjoying what I like.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 12-21-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    That cleared up a lot, thanks

One last question:

When you said that earth 0's history will be shunt to earth 5g, does it include the event of post-crisis and the other events or just the events between rebirth and Doomsday clock?

And if all of the events are sent to earth5g, does that mean that earth 5g will be the new main universe?

Because I think that it may not work, since earth 5g is meant to be the next generation it needs to build its own history instead so the characters can be relatable.

What do you think?
    It's very likely that when Earth-0 hits 5G, they're gonna have a revisioned history to fit the story they want to tell, much like how when Post Crisis and New 52 began they created new origins for Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman

The Earth-0 history that will be shunted to Earth-5G will happen after the 5G story is finished and they want to make a new continuity. The 5G story will be preserved as a different Earth while Earth-0 moves on with a new continuity.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-22-2019 at 01:45 AM.

Astonishing Member

So from what I understand, the basic idea is that everytime the history of the main DCU earth is altered, the previous history gets preserved as a parallel earth.

Let's call the main DCU earth "Earth 0" (it hasn't always been called that but let's roll with it).

Earth 0 was originally the Golden Age earth (with Superman showing up in 1938, the JSA etc.)

Earth 0's history was then altered to become the Silver Age earth AKA Earth 1. When this happened, the previous Golden Age history was preserved on a parallel earth that came to be known as Earth 2. This was basically the set-up we had from the start of the Silver Age up till COIE.

After COIE, Earth 0's history was altered again, and became a blend of the histories of Earths 2, 4, S and X. But the previous Silver Age history was preserved on a parallel earth that is now revealed to be Earth 1985.

Earth 0's history was eventually altered again post-Flashpoint as a result of Manhattan's tampering, becoming the New 52 earth. But due to the events of Superman Reborn, and now Doomsday Clock, that tampering was undone and Earth 0's history was mostly restored. However, as in previous cases, a new parallel earth has been created to preserve the New 52 history, called Earth 52.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    It's very likely that when Earth-0 hits 5G, they're gonna have a revisioned history to fit the story they want to tell, much like how when Post Crisis and New 52 began they created new origins for Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman

The Earth-0 history that will be shunted to Earth-5G will happen after the 5G story is finished and they want to make a new continuity. The 5G story will be preserved as a different Earth while Earth-0 moves on with a new continuity.
    But when this happens, will earth 5g be the main universe instead of earth 0?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    So from what I understand, the basic idea is that everytime the history of the main DCU earth is altered, the previous history gets preserved as a parallel earth.

Let's call the main DCU earth "Earth 0" (it hasn't always been called that but let's roll with it).

Earth 0 was originally the Golden Age earth (with Superman showing up in 1938, the JSA etc.)

Earth 0's history was then altered to become the Silver Age earth AKA Earth 1. When this happened, the previous Golden Age history was preserved on a parallel earth that came to be known as Earth 2. This was basically the set-up we had from the start of the Silver Age up till COIE.

After COIE, Earth 0's history was altered again, and became a blend of the histories of Earths 2, 4, S and X. But the previous Silver Age history was preserved on a parallel earth that is now revealed to be Earth 1985.

Earth 0's history was eventually altered again post-Flashpoint as a result of Manhattan's tampering, becoming the New 52 earth. But due to the events of Superman Reborn, and now Doomsday Clock, that tampering was undone and Earth 0's history was mostly restored. However, as in previous cases, a new parallel earth has been created to preserve the New 52 history, called Earth 52.
    This is my understanding too.

Other threads are theorizing what other Earths there could be out there. But it's just speculation.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My understanding is this:

Earth 0 is basically the pre-Flashpoint Earth again more or less with a few tweaks. (Diana and Steve are together, for instance and they weren't before. Power Girl is supposedly here but where she came from is anyone's guess)

Earth 1985 is the pre-Crisis E-1. Which continued on as if nothing had ever happened. Supergirl still alive and all.

Earth 2 is supposedly the pre-Crisis E-2 but how they got around Superman going into the void with Lois is beyond me so who knows.

Earth 52 is the New 52 Earth.

Basically DC's old "52 Earths" map is now irrelevant.

I have no idea what any of this means going forward or if they even have any plans for any of this. It sounds like this is just to appease old fans and if that's the case, that's fine. I imagine there are a lot of tweaks that need to be made here. For instance, is it still 1985 in E-1985? And what year does E-2 take place in? We may be giving this more thought than they have.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    But when this happens, will earth 5g be the main universe instead of earth 0?
    Nope. Like the previous continuities, Earth-5g is created to preserve stories already done. A record of history. Ongoing stories, new stories, will be the main continuity and stay in Earth-0.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post

Earth 0 is basically the pre-Flashpoint Earth again more or less with a few tweaks. (Diana and Steve are together, for instance and they weren't before. Power Girl is supposedly here but where she came from is anyone's guess)
    They mentioned in Doomsday Clock that Wonder Woman is now a JSA founder so the current continuity of Earth 0 should be that new Timeline they haven't officially announced.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post

Earth 1985 is the pre-Crisis E-1. Which continued on as if nothing had ever happened. Supergirl still alive and all.

Earth 2 is supposedly the pre-Crisis E-2 but how they got around Superman going into the void with Lois is beyond me so who knows.

Earth 52 is the New 52 Earth.

Basically DC's old "52 Earths" map is now irrelevant.

I have no idea what any of this means going forward or if they even have any plans for any of this. It sounds like this is just to appease old fans and if that's the case, that's fine. I imagine there are a lot of tweaks that need to be made here. For instance, is it still 1985 in E-1985? And what year does E-2 take place in? We may be giving this more thought than they have.
    Here's the thing though.

Earth 2, at least the Earth 2 that we followed all through the Silver Age and Bronze Age, is gone. It became part of Earth 0. The JSA that returned at the end of Doomsday Clock is the same JSA who, before COIE, were from Earth 2, and who were merged into the history of Earth 0. This also explains where Power Girl comes from.

There might be another Earth 2, or Golden Age world, out there somewhere in the Multiverse or Metaverse of what-have-you. But the original Earth 2, formed when Earth 0/Earth 1 morphed into Silver Age continuity, is gone.

BANNED

Who says it gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Who says it gone?
    Agree. I thought the whole point of the Doomsday Clock explanation was that it's NOT gone.