tacoboy

Default Does Outcast #1 have the potential to be as valuable as Walking Dead #1?

What do you think? WD #1 goes for quite a bit nowadays...

I doubt it.
    Walking Dead flew under the radar until the TV show hit and it became big. The scarcity aided the value.

All spectator eyes are on Outcast as "the next Kirkman TV show book." Pretty much meaning itll sell too well to be worth anything in the long run.

Yea, I agree with Dark-Flux. I don't think it will ever become as valuable. The spotlight is on the series now, and I think the first issue might get you around £100 in a few years, but I've seen TWD go for £1.2k on ebay, which I don't think Outcast will ever be able to do.

I think Saga may have a chance to be as valuable in the future.
    Last edited by ysemaj; 08-08-2014 at 06:41 AM.

Outcast no. Chew yes

Amazing Member

Outcast #1 will sell very well, many will buy 2-3 copies thinking they can do a flip down the road. But it's way to early to tell and if you go back to some of the books Kirkman worked on earlier, before TWD turned into a HUGE franchise, the interest in them didn't pick up in a big way when TWD became a hit. In the old days, when a penciller or writer suddenly became a hit on a specific title, the titles they worked on prior usually would be worth a lot more, but that doesn't seem to happen these days. I mean the issues of Haunt that Kirkman worked on, I can pick them up on Ebay for pretty damn cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Haunt-2009-I...item486b8c8a7a
    Funny Books That Currently Have My Attention (for now): Can't think of a single one...

Most of the time when speculation occurs right from the beginning, and the book is published in relatively high numbers, long term investment potential is low. This was one to flip fast, due to the buzz. Long term? Will probably never break three figures more likely about $20.00.

I see much better potential in Rat Queens. It was under the radar when it started. It now has a cartoon deal. For stuff to hit big, it needs to break into popular culture, ala TMNT and TWD.

Chew has great potential, but it is just so odd that I don't see TWD potential.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBarbarian View Post
    Most of the time when speculation occurs right from the beginning, and the book is published in relatively high numbers, long term investment potential is low. This was one to flip fast, due to the buzz. Long term? Will probably never break three figures more likely about $20.00.

I see much better potential in Rat Queens. It was under the radar when it started. It now has a cartoon deal. For stuff to hit big, it needs to break into popular culture, ala TMNT and TWD.

Chew has great potential, but it is just so odd that I don't see TWD potential.
    I agree about Rat Queens. I would also add Five Ghosts since it now has a TV deal and had relatively low sale numbers.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

I'm very interested in seeing how they bring Five Ghosts to life.

Quote Originally Posted by tacoboy View Post
    What do you think? WD #1 goes for quite a bit nowadays...
    Not even close. For one TWD #1 had a pretty low print number written by a relatively unknown Robert Kirkman. Outcast on the other hand was written by star writer Robert Kirkman, who wrote/owns a rare non big 2 franchise that is popular to both comics readers and non readers alike.

Not to mention I can't imagine how many issues they printed for release. Probably more than they'll ever possibly sale.

It just plain and simple won't come close. What might possibly be worth something would be the entire collection variants and stuff together if it happens to run as long as TWD like Kirkman expects and ends up with a hit show, which I had heard at one point was in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by ysemaj View Post
    Yea, I agree with Dark-Flux. I don't think it will ever become as valuable. The spotlight is on the series now, and I think the first issue might get you around £100 in a few years, but I've seen TWD go for £1.2k on ebay, which I don't think Outcast will ever be able to do.

I think Saga may have a chance to be as valuable in the future.

I think Saga will. Not sure if it will hit into pop culture, maybe with a movie? But it's insanely popular among comic fans. My LCS's that have it sale it for $20-30, but I find they charge more than I can usually get elsewhere.

This comic is perfect for a screen adaption that would be really cool. The story is really cool, though not as dark as WD I think it will sell well and be valuable in time.