Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Actually, you might be right. I was reading the Surfer's monologue of "the hole they punched in space in their frantic effort to escape has frayed and split" as referring specifically to the dead refugees in front of him, as in they themselves had punched the hole in space. But it is possible Surfer was more referring to denizens of the Negative Zone in general having opened the portal. There were some refugee ships mentioned in the issue Annihlus opens the hole, so they might just be those folks.

And that would make more sense-- I scratched my head when I first read the Surfer issue, because the rando civilians having tech to get to the positive zone independently didn't make much sense given how big a deal the tech was in other issues. That might have been the same hole over in Nova-- time passing differently in the negative zone could mean that Void's confrontation with Beta Ray Bill might have happened after his confrontation with Nova-- potentially right after if he was chasing Richard through the portal.
    The Annihilus portal Void messed with being the one Surfer witnessed also lines up with Surfer realizing it was an unsafe passageway. The Annihilus techies told him they should have run more safety testing due to being unstable, but they ran out of time to get to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    I don't want to be mean but does the Sentry really only have that one storyline? I could swear that "Oh no the Void is out!" is what happens every single time. Is there any other story about him that I missed?
    He's a terrible character, be mean ;p

Astonishing Member

I don't want to be mean but does the Sentry really only have that one storyline? I could swear that "Oh no the Void is out!" is what happens every single time. Is there any other story about him that I missed?
    The Void played a crucial role in the Jeff Lemire miniseries but actually appeared for only a few panels and the villain driving the plot turned out to be somebody else, for once.

I've heard interesting things about Age of the Sentry (which inspired one of the villains in that Lemire series) but I've never gotten around to reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I mean on the one hand Beta Ray Bill while taking a very one sided beating was able to use a charged up hammer toss to send him back into the rift (I suppose the idea was that the Sentry couldn't lift Stormbreaker off himself as it hurtled away with him, essentially Bill never called the hammer back, he sent it into the rift with the Sentry), but then again Rich Rider Nova, with enough of the Nova Force that he was able to throw a spaceship into a sun across some decent distance, punched him full on and did dead zero nothing but make the Sentry's head turn a little, later noting "he almost felt that".

So yeah... overall.. yeah.

Then again the Surfer just merged with Bob Reynolds and that entity might defeat him, we'll see. Then again the Surfer is all weird now, having undergone some strange metaphysical shift after Silver Surfer Black.
    He uh ... created all life in the current 616 or some such, by exploding all over the universe, didn't he ?

At which point he reformed himself ?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I'd also jump on the "Sentry sucks" bandwagon, but it's not as interesting as the "Cancerverse/Annihilation Event again guys ? Really ?" train that is getting ready to leave the station.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I'd also jump on the "Sentry sucks" bandwagon, but it's not as interesting as the "Cancerverse/Annihilation Event again guys ? Really ?" train that is getting ready to leave the station.
    Just file it under the Civil Wars, Infinity, Secret Wars etc. Greatest Hits cover band cabinet. There's plenty space there for more!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Just file it under the Civil Wars, Infinity, Secret Wars etc. Greatest Hits cover band cabinet. There's plenty space there for more!
    I can't fit anymore tired old corpses under the sink, or the floorboards, or the cupboards, or the closet ...

Look, I'm not HGTV I can't just keep building storage space !

Arx Inosaan

Can we all just agree that Sentry/Void/Bob is better off in space messing with other cosmic types? Just a better fit for the character at this point. His earthly adventures were starting to feel tedious.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Can we all just agree that Sentry/Void/Bob is better off in space messing with other cosmic types? Just a better fit for the character at this point. His earthly adventures were starting to feel tedious.
    I mean as a character he feels tedious.

"Oh, I actually have to read this again ? It's the same story as last time, just in a different setting !"

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

He's certainly better placed in space for the moment.

I think the Marvel Universe just isn't very well set up for the kinds of stories one would want to tell with the kind of character he is.

Astonishing Member

At least Void becoming the emancipated God of the Cancerverse is an idea that feels like should have played out years ago in some capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    At least Void becoming the emancipated God of the Cancerverse is an idea that feels like should have played out years ago in some capacity.
    I mean he looks exactly like Wendell Vaughn, who was the old Cancerverse High Priest.

Or was it Adam Warlock ?

I don't remember, they were blonde.

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I mean he looks exactly like Wendell Vaughn, who was the old Cancerverse High Priest.
    Cancerverse Mar-Vell was the old Cancerverse high priest.

Well he is that boring, tbh.

Writers probably don't know what else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Cancerverse Mar-Vell was the old Cancerverse high priest.
    Ah yes, yet another blond man.

Clearly the Cancerverse has a preference. Like Namor, but more metaphysically horrifying.

Arx Inosaan