View Poll Results: What’s your opinion on the data pages in the Xbooks

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think they are a good thing, extra info for the story.

44 54.32%
  • I don’t like them, use the page for art. Show me don’t tell me.

9 11.11%
  • Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are bad.

28 34.57%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hickman’s in hoxpox were the best, some of the latest ones have felt forced and gimmicky but others were really good. It’s case by case for me. Overall cool for storytelling purposes

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I like them, but my favourite is the naval intelligence reports in Marauders. I love that behind it all the naval intelligence operative writing the reports is always complaining that he doesn't have enough money in his intelligence budget!
    lmao it's my fave too. i think it's the best done. I feel like i'm following his life. lol If you read one piece he's like Cody. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    I like the charts and graphs and lists, but when it's huge blocks of text I just skip them.
    While I do not skip them, I do wish they were more than just black text on white pages. I liked the data pages in Black Monday Murders. I wish some were news articles or a journal entry (where we actually see the hand writing in a journal or see a newspaper clipping, etc). These feel cheap (just like the recap pages) but overall I do enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    lmao it's my fave too. i think it's the best done. I feel like i'm following his life. lol If you read one piece he's like Cody. lol
    yeah, he just seems like a poor put upon intelligence officer getting frustrated trying to track Kate's team all over the planet and complaining he doesn't have enough money to keep an eye on the mutants.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

No, they feel forced, like each book needs to feel connected so the writers have been instructed to include them, evne if they dont make sense for the title or add much.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    I like the charts and graphs and lists, but when it's huge blocks of text I just skip them.
    Im with this. The one from X-Force which were scenes, could have been drawn in panels

When its interesting but superfluous information, its fine. Things like maps and dorm layouts are also fine. But when its important story beats, it should be drawn on page. Hickman got 12 issues of HoXPoX for worldbuilding, he shouldn't need pages and pages of text for more. So many series would kill to even reach 12 issues.

Marauders shouldn't tease us with those travel logs. Some of that sounds like interesting character work that really should be on panel. Some of it even sounds more interesting than the stuff actually going on in the comics. Actually, that's a big one. The story told or alluded too in the data page shouldn't be more interesting than the one actually on panel.

I think they’re good additions so far. I think they help progress the story and allow for panel time for the characters we want to read about vs taking up limited page real estate having to explain the same thing with dialogue and art.
    Last edited by Wind Rider; 12-12-2019 at 09:51 PM.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

They're cool, but this is a comic. I'm an avid reader, but for graphic works, I prefer to be shown, not told
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I like them, but my favourite is the naval intelligence reports in Marauders. I love that behind it all the naval intelligence operative writing the reports is always complaining that he doesn't have enough money in his intelligence budget!
    I agree, the Marauders ones are always solid.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    When its interesting but superfluous information, its fine. Things like maps and dorm layouts are also fine. But when its important story beats, it should be drawn on page. Hickman got 12 issues of HoXPoX for worldbuilding, he shouldn't need pages and pages of text for more. So many series would kill to even reach 12 issues.

Marauders shouldn't tease us with those travel logs. Some of that sounds like interesting character work that really should be on panel. Some of it even sounds more interesting than the stuff actually going on in the comics. Actually, that's a big one. The story told or alluded too in the data page shouldn't be more interesting than the one actually on panel.
    That’s my take, love the graphs and maps, I’m always a sucker for maps and even analysis, but they’re now being used in some of the books to tell parts of the story.
    Logan’s shopping list was fun, in Marauders, and then in comic we see Kate delivering it to him. That works.
    Telling us the bodies of the assassins exploded and not showing it, in X Force, that doesn’t work for me.

In Fallen Angels and Excalibur they are expendable.

The last X-Force was the only time I felt they were used to shoehorn in extra story there wasn’t time or space to draw.

BANNED

I really enjoy them. I've come to like them even more as the Dawn the X books have all taken their own angle on those pages.

Sometimes I like them
    Sometimes I don’t.

It all depends. Truth be told, when they first started back during HOX/POX I Absolutely loved them. The content was interesting but then soon after it just began to drag. There were some data pages during the phalanx angle that were hurt a complete bore to get through. Again it all depends on how they’re used. I do miss the days of just using panels to push that story and explain it but in DOX’s defense there is a lot going on that wouldn’t fit into your conventional comic format.

At this current point I’m honestly skimming through some of them especially if it’s one long wall of text.

BANNED

It’s added contest at no additional cost. It provides context at times and “deleted scenes” at others. Either way, it’s stuff we wouldn’t see otherwise.
    Last edited by Wolverine12; 12-13-2019 at 11:36 AM. Reason: You need to relax