Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default God loves Man Kills

I was just wondering how many of the new X-men fans have read the topic book? (last 5-10 years)

Now for many of the Old guard we/I consider this to be the X-men Bible or standard for the stories to follow. If you haven't read it I strongly recommend if your a fan.

You know, I have been an X-men fan my entire life but for some reason I never got around to reading this...you know what...I will buy this this weekend and read it. Do you suggest a hardcover or a digital purchase? I'm leaning towards hardcover being that I like my X-men trades on display

Yup, I own the hardcover trade of it. I love this story.

The opening sequence with the playground execution, and the "n-word lover" (but not in those words) debate with Kitty Pryde are some of my favorite moments in the X-Men comics.

I've got a first print, a trade, and have it digitally. Best single X-Men story written, in my opinion. If someone were to say that they've never cracked open an x-men book before and wanted to know what they were all about, I'd direct them to read GLMK.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    I've got a first print, a trade, and have it digitally. Best single X-Men story written, in my opinion. If someone were to say that they've never cracked open an x-men book before and wanted to know what they were all about, I'd direct them to read GLMK.
    I second that. Claremont summed up everything the X Men stood for in this book. I loved X2 but it's a shame they never got to put the novel on screen in its original form.

It's my favorite comics story of all time. Of course everyone should read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    You know, I have been an X-men fan my entire life but for some reason I never got around to reading this...you know what...I will buy this this weekend and read it. Do you suggest a hardcover or a digital purchase? I'm leaning towards hardcover being that I like my X-men trades on display
    Hardcover would be my suggestion, I recently had to rebuy as my first print has fallen apart.

BANNED

I have the TPB of it but haven't read it in at least ten years or more. All I really recall is that at the end spoilers:
    its a cop who saves the day which I found to be awesome
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Yup still my favorite comic book story even after all this time, and I wish with all my heart and soul X-Men never jumped the shark.

I own this couple different ways. As one of the prints of the original graphic novel, in the rerelease they did for X2 and at the beginning of my God Loves Man Kills II X-Treme X-Men trade.

Such a great story!

Pending on your medium, a digital copy might be okay but the art really needs some space to be seen.
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I second that. Claremont summed up everything the X Men stood for in this book. I loved X2 but it's a shame they never got to put the novel on screen in its original form.
    I've thought about this, because there are some aspects of the graphic novel that were left out of the movie that would be amazing.

But I can obviously understand why they didn't have children executed on a playground. I can understand why they didn't have the "N-lover" sequence, although it's very poignant to the themes of the films, and I can really understand why Stryker was turned into a military figure. It would cause a whole huge controversy if the films had portrayed a Christian figurehead as a greatly evil figure of hate like that.

And as is, I do feel like turning Stryker into a military figure who's connected to Logan's history adds some entirely new elements to the films that have their own merit.

So ultimately, I can understand why a lot of changes were made. The movie follows close enough to the novel for me, while continuing the plotlines established in the movie world, and creating some strong new lore with the Stryker / Logan connection.

I wouldn't say that God Loves Man Kills is my favorite X-Men story (I think Days Of Future Past fills that space), but it IS a good one, with a lot of powerful moments.

i started reading the comics within the last ten years and read it.
    I liked it a lot, it is one of my favorite x-stories. I think they were good character moments, especially magneto, kitty, and kurt. i liked using magneto to tie in the thought of a pure human race to how similar feelings lead to the holocaust.
    I liked kitty most though, her fight at the beginning(before the rant to stevie), her and illyana try to go against strikers spy machine and crew alone, and her jumping into defense of kurt when he is called out as less then human. I actually didn't like kitties n-word rant. Using actual slurs against a real race to point out why its wrong to use fake slurs against an imaginary race? Why???

I also think they could have done better with striker and have his reasoning mirror reasons used often by real life bigots. Remember in the dofp movie when trask says "I dont hate mutants, I admire them" then went on to explain how he wanted that power... even though they didn't build on it much it's much more interesting to me then being shocked by your kids mutation then saying "mutants are abominations, I hate mutants." then using that to kill a bunch of people. I know some bigots do go on little more than that but they also usually dont gain that huge following. He just seemed not interesting/realistic to me.

I feel bad posting so much negative after rereading my post xD It really is one of my favorite x-stories.
    }|{

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

It's almost perfect as a story. The pacing is great too the action sequence especially Kitty's desperate escape was just AMAZING. And it was really extremely brutal with the brainwashing and all of that. I just wish it was longer or more stuff like it was done :/

I think there are a lot of new readers who want to "begin at the beginning", like me. I only recently read this graphic novel, and once I started it I couldn't even get out of my parked car until I finished it! It's ambitious and not without flaws (I'm critical of the mutant=minority metaphor), but it's a great, taught little story. God, I wish there had been more of these self-contained, non-canonical trades. I'd sell a non-vital organ for more. Batman offers loads! Marvel doesn't even have to sacrifice their slavish continuity; just stick a good indie-style writer on a good idea and let 'em tell a story! Take politically-relevant risks! *Sigh*.

As a side note-- as a Christian reader, I can tell the difference between a writer who's soapboxing without giving a real **** about making a compelling argument (coughaustencough) and one who understands what the hell they are writing about, to a degree that is truly frightening. Compare the way Austen's notorious Pope-plot uses Scripture to the way Claremont uses Scripture, it's a Creative Writing 101 lesson in how to incisively portray religious fundamentalism.
    “You know how it is: as soon as you decide to forget something, your brain comes to the conclusion that it's the most fascinating thing in the world.” -- Jane Yolen, probably not talking about superhero comics

One of the best stand-alone X-Men stories!

I find it a shame that Fox messed it up. Reverend Striker was by far the more compelling character. I like that he used people's deeply held beliefs to corrupt them. That is very scary and villainous. I also like that he killed you know who when he found out you know what! In both cases it showed his fervor and dedication to his twisted beliefs. Colonel Striker using mutants as he did in the movies was not as powerful. And the fact that Reverend wasn't a military power and only a private individual and yet still had the X-Men on the run spoke to his effectiveness.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!