Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 135
  1. #76
    Satanic Member pkingdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Zuhhh what?
    Its not colonization...non of the indigenous Savage Landers are being conquered....nor is it exploitation...none of the Savage Landers are being put to work, or having their surroundings changed for the benefit of the mutants. All we have is a buncha mutants picking flowers. I guarantee that the this is okay with the SL who will no doubt benefit from from the from the KraKoan drugs.
    They cleared land and built a structure for growing flowers. Its taking over part of the SL to exploit its natural resources, in this case, its fertile land. Doing these sorts of things 'for their own good', or in a way that the mutants think will benefit the tribes of the SL is straight up colonial speak.

  2. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    They cleared land and built a structure for growing flowers. Its taking over part of the SL to exploit its natural resources, in this case, its fertile land. Doing these sorts of things 'for their own good', or in a way that the mutants think will benefit the tribes of the SL is straight up colonial speak.
    Hmm...ecological colonialism...

    Now that is an interesting concept in and of itself. Even in a fictional landscape you have to wonder how that affects the eco-systems of both on a larger scale and, from there, what fall-out effect that has or might have on a much larger scale?

    I'd be curious to see if that ever gets brought back up, actually.

  3. #78
    Satanic Member pkingdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Its similar to clearing out the rainforests for farmland. Though you have add in the colonialism angle on top of that. Which makes it worse.

  4. #79
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    11,375

    Default

    Wait aren’t Mutants the evolutionary inheritors of the Earth? Everything on the planet is theirs IIRC.

  5. #80
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    They cleared land and built a structure for growing flowers. Its taking over part of the SL to exploit its natural resources, in this case, its fertile land. Doing these sorts of things 'for their own good', or in a way that the mutants think will benefit the tribes of the SL is straight up colonial speak.
    Ehhhh You donít know what was there before they planted the flowers as I doubt they displaced any of the tribes. Again how is it colonization when itís Obviously the mutants have permission to plant in their SL plot. And Hmmm how can access to mental stability and higher life expectancy help people living in 4th world country???
    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Its similar to clearing out the rainforests for farmland. Though you have add in the colonialism angle on top of that. Which makes it worse.
    Again thereís no evidence as to what had been there before or how the different tribes interacted in the area pre Krakoa farm. Again with the colonialism....Who is being colonized? Who are the losers in this scenario?
    GrindrStone(D)

  6. #81
    Satanic Member pkingdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Its not obvious they have permission. There's no indication that they have permission from anyone. Do you not know how national heritage sites are supposed to work? Its supposed to be a protected ecosystem. People who aren't native to the island are not supposed to even visit, let alone build structures and bring in new plant species. The Krakoa flowers were obviously new. It doesn't matter what, specifically, was in that spot where they built the farm. Building anything on that island is bad. Bringing in potentially invasive species to the place is worse.

    I used colonization because its people from outside of the island coming in and seizing part of the land for their own needs. It doesn't matter if they're doing it 'for their own good' of the local tribes.

  7. #82
    Astonishing Member Veitha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Hmm...ecological colonialism...

    Now that is an interesting concept in and of itself. Even in a fictional landscape you have to wonder how that affects the eco-systems of both on a larger scale and, from there, what fall-out effect that has or might have on a much larger scale?

    I'd be curious to see if that ever gets brought back up, actually.
    I think we're going to see something like that (like the scene where the Krakoan Flowers became aggressive towards other Flora in New Mutants#1).

    I hope it won't get forgotten because it sounds like a nice plot.

  8. #83
    Astonishing Member Veitha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Wait aren’t Mutants the evolutionary inheritors of the Earth? Everything on the planet is theirs IIRC.
    I can see Pyro using that line while he steals from a supermarket.

  9. #84
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    11,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I can see Pyro using that line while he steals from a supermarket.
    Pyro and Boom-Boom go on a stealing spree in a mall, get caught and go to the holding cell before using that line, blowing up the mini-jail, and beating up the mall cop. Storm's more than disappointed of course.

  10. #85
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imagi Nation
    Posts
    7,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Its not obvious they have permission. There's no indication that they have permission from anyone. ...
    And conversely, it's not obvious they don't. There's no indication they haven't been allowed to cultivate there, so until we know more, it's an assumption either way.

  11. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Wait aren’t Mutants the evolutionary inheritors of the Earth? Everything on the planet is theirs IIRC.
    I'm not sure that's how that works; morally if nothing else. If anything, how you phrase that rings eerily true to colonial attitudes of the past?

  12. #87
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imagi Nation
    Posts
    7,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    seizing part of the land for their own needs. ...
    When & where was this shown?

  13. #88
    Astonishing Member Veitha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Pyro and Boom-Boom go on a stealing spree in a mall, get caught and go to the holding cell before using that line, blowing up the mini-jail, and beating up the mall cop. Storm's more than disappointed of course.
    They would later explain that they did not beat the cop because they hate humans, but because they hate cops.

  14. #89
    Astonishing Member Veitha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    And conversely, it's not obvious they don't. There's no indication they haven't been allowed to cultivate there, so until we know more, it's an assumption either way.
    And the Savage Land sucks. It's full of dinosaurs and strange people whose only purpose is being kidnapped by the High Evolutionary. I'm pretty sure Hickman didn't put too much thought into the possible invasion of their land by Krakoans.

    Didn't Sunspot have the Zebra people from the Savage Land as friends? They probably sold them some estate (it appeared from HoX 1 that Xavier or some X-Men possesed the places on Earth that were turned into biomes, such as the Gerusalem one).

  15. #90
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    8,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Pyro and Boom-Boom go on a stealing spree in a mall, get caught and go to the holding cell before using that line, blowing up the mini-jail, and beating up the mall cop. Storm's more than disappointed of course.
    god why can't this be a book
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin Richards
    Fragile creatures, we are taught to fear the Reaper!
    Ever running, we are dead before we meet Her!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valeria Richards
    Fearless creatures, we all learn to fight the Reaper!
    Can't defeat Her, so instead I'll have to be Her!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •