Page 84 of 120 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1797

Thread: Empyre (2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    LMAO. My thoughts exactly. Johnny giving off some bi vibes there.
    As I said in the other thread, Johnny always gives off bi-vibes. It's his go-to vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    As I said in the other thread, Johnny always gives off bi-vibes. It's his go-to vibe.
    Even if Johnny (writers) never canonize that narrative, I still very much enjoy this type of character. I know this guy. I've met this guy. The gorgeous man who -- regardless of affirmed orientation -- revels in flirtation and recognizing beauty, as well as loves his own beauty being recognized. The "Any GOOD attention is GOOD attention, lay it on me" mentality. Its cute.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Empyre #4 got a second printing and will be getting a new variant cover for it! Do we know if any other issue got a second printing? If not, I'm gonna assume that last page brought some extra attention to the issue. The gays outsold... literally!

https://aiptcomics.com/2020/08/06/ma...cond-printing/

It's weird not being able to keep up with monthly sales in the Direct Market anymore, since Diamond has stopped revealing their sales data completely ever since the pandemic hit, but I hope Empyre is doing fine.

About that: https://twitter.com/comichron/status...15482086248454

THREAD: Diamond hasn't yet resumed its monthly comics sales charts, and while we have good reason to believe they'll return, we expect it'll happen only when supply and demand have stabilized.

Supply levels still haven't, as you'll see in this tour of the spring in comics... 1/

After Diamond shut down in March, @DCComics made its deal with new distributors UCS and Lunar. They started shipping April 28, and only three comics came out that month. It's a safe bet DAPHNE BYRNE #4 was the top Direct Market comic in April; it was in 132nd place in March! 2/

Only UCS and Lunar sold DCs until Diamond reopened for new comics May 19. It was mostly backlog, what was already in process. DC's release slate was less than half its March size; overall slates were down by 80%.

VENOM #25 was the likely #1, with UNKILLABLES #3 the lead DC. 3/

By June, DC was getting up to speed, with its release slate size approaching its March level; DC announced June 5 it was dropping Diamond by the end of the month. But the market apart from DC was still regrouping, with fewer than half as many new releases as they had in March. 4/

And now, July. Like April, all new DCs came from Lunar and UCS — and the slate was actually smaller than June. Meanwhile, Marvel's ramped up, but isn't back to 50% of its pre-shutdown slate size.

So new comics offerings have been increasing in number, but haven't stabilized. 5/

Another reason why we can say release counts are still greatly in flux is on the graphic novel side.

Recall that graphic novels continued to ship through the book channel through the pandemic; in the Direct Market, UCS's site reports it got 27 DC titles for resale in April. 6/

May saw Diamond reopening, but little new material went out. Much of it from publishers whose main business is outside the Direct Market; these are in the "other" category. Remember, the book channel was still moving, so their presses and trucks rolled. 7/

In June the GN deluge began, as books that intended to ship in April and May all started landing at Diamond — including a LOT of manga. No less than 48 titles from Yen Press, another 32 from Viz. June's graphic novel release slate was 70% larger than March's.

And in July? 8/

July saw the GN floodgates open even MORE at Diamond. 68 Viz titles, 67 Yen titles, 47 from St. Martin's. Comics publishers could adjust their schedules; book publishers, not so much. Four months of books dropped in eight weeks. July's GN release slate was +124% over March! 9/

So with periodical slates still recovering, we also have a graphic novel bottleneck, either of which could make sales charts less useful and reliable before we even consider demand.

We DO expect Diamond's charts to return, but likely when the signal-to-noise ratio improves. 10/

For now, that leaves the reorder charts, which Diamond resumed on May 3. The advance-reorder reports, which are forward-looking, have been looking more "regular" after gyrations due to the pandemic and DC's departure. The latest ones are just out. 11/

Math fixes and count changes made to the GN chart: Yen, St. Martins, and Viz released some "light novels" which contain few illustrations and which we wouldn't class as GNs; they're removed in the chart below. It's still more GNs than Diamond has ever shipped in a month. 12/

I wouldn't expect sales charts this side of Christmas, we know there's books still due back in October or even later.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Empyre #4 got a second printing and will be getting a new variant cover for it! Do we know if any other issue got a second printing? If not, I'm gonna assume that last page brought some extra attention to the issue. The gays outsold... literally!

https://aiptcomics.com/2020/08/06/ma...cond-printing/

It's weird not being able to keep up with monthly sales in the Direct Market anymore, since Diamond has stopped revealing their sales data completely ever since the pandemic hit, but I hope Empyre is doing fine.
    Duh, that's what I get for not reading the whole thing. The press release mentions all issues of Empyre so far have gotten second printings. This means the book is doing better than Marvel thought it would overall, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    This is definately an event where I feel I need to read the tie-ins. I think generally speaking marvel events often do a much better job of making the tie-ins seem less necessary... but I'm just not feeling like I'm getting a complete story here.

That said, the plants are starting to come off a lot scarier, and that's what I needed. I just didn't feel as though they were legitimately that much of a threat, but I'm starting to now. So that's helping the story a lot.
    In Empyre Avengers issue #1, I didn’t believe any of the Avenger interaction dialogue on Panthers Helicarrier. The whole book by Zub felt like 1950’s DC JLA, not a Marvel book at all. Is it because all the Avengers are Cotati Impersonators making up the language? And why was that guy Doctor Nemesis in an Avengers book. I feel like I’ve missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sataniel View Post
    Empyre sure got screwed hard by the cutting down of the tie-ins. It's a rare event where many feel substantial (Lords of Empyre oneshots especially), and many would feel substantial if we got them (Invasion of Wakanda obviously, Thor perhaps, since they refer to it heavily). It generally is no wonder that Ewing tried to put some weight on tie-ins since the story already has a lot to deal with (and honestly could have much more, there is a lot of potential subplots that aren't touched on, probably due to issue constraints).

Well there is that Secret Empire personality that was imprisoned spoilers:
    but might've broken free
    end of spoilers and whatever is going on with spoilers:
    Green Scar and perhaps Joe being compromised by Leader
    end of spoilers.
    Talking about subplots, in Empyre Avengers #1 where does Wakanda tech get a hold of Odin magic and Dr Strange magic? When did this happen?

BANNED

He has worked with Strange and met Odin in Aaron's Avengers and presumably it was Then that he got it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    In Empyre Avengers issue #1, I didn’t believe any of the Avenger interaction dialogue on Panthers Helicarrier. The whole book by Zub felt like 1950’s DC JLA, not a Marvel book at all. Is it because all the Avengers are Cotati Impersonators making up the language? And why was that guy Doctor Nemesis in an Avengers book. I feel like I’ve missed something.
    Dr. Nemesis is a member of the Agents Of Wakanda, who are working alongside the Avengers at Panther's direction. That is also why Ka-Zar is present in the book--he is also an Agent of Wakanda.

Talking about subplots, in Empyre Avengers #1 where does Wakanda tech get a hold of Odin magic and Dr Strange magic? When did this happen?
    Panther and Odin have been shown to have a relationship in Aaron's AVENGERS run, and Dr. Strange has also been a member of the team during Aaron's run. Panther is pooling available resources for dealing with the current crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Dr. Nemesis is a member of the Agents Of Wakanda, who are working alongside the Avengers at Panther's direction. That is also why Ka-Zar is present in the book--he is also an Agent of Wakanda.

Panther and Odin have been shown to have a relationship in Aaron's AVENGERS run, and Dr. Strange has also been a member of the team during Aaron's run. Panther is pooling available resources for dealing with the current crisis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denkota View Post
    He has worked with Strange and met Odin in Aaron's Avengers and presumably it was Then that he got it.
    Thanks guys for clearing up those points. I’m just surprised Odin gets so chummy with mankind. Odins changed.

I remember Odin getting chummy with Tony Stark after Fear Itself Iron Man, but that was because Tony prayed to Odin, by sacrificing his sobriety for Odins intervention. I wonder if T’Challa had to do something similar?
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-09-2020 at 11:27 PM.

BANNED

Thanks guys for clearing up those points. I’m just surprised Odin gets so chummy with mankind. Odins changed.

I remember Odin getting chummy with Tony Stark after Fear Itself Iron Man, but that was because Tony prayed to Odin, by sacrificing his sobriety for Odins intervention. I wonder if T’Challa had to do something similar?
    He wouldn't have to go through that to get an audience as he is the embodiment of the panther god and as his chosen agent Odin would naturally grant him a audience not to mention he has actually worked with his predecessor in Aaron's retcon and so though reluctant he provided Intel to him to deal with the celestials threat.

I can see a similarity in Empyre to COVID-19 as the Cotati attacked in Empyre #1. You could say mankind was being attacked by nature when the whole world had no defence against the C-19 virus, just like the whole Kree/Skrull fleet had no defence against the Cotati death flower. In one respect, the pandemic is another life form trying to eradicate meat eaters, just like the Cotati are trying to eradicate all mammals.

BANNED

I can see a similarity in Empyre to COVID-19 as the Cotati attacked in Empyre #1. You could say mankind was being attacked by nature when the whole world had no defence against the C-19 virus, just like the whole Kree/Skrull fleet had no defence against the Cotati death flower. In one respect, the pandemic is another life form trying to eradicate meat eaters, just like the Cotati are trying to eradicate all mammals.
    So you don't put stock in China's having bio engineered the virus conspiracy theory?

Even if it wasn't bio-engineered, China are definitely to blame for it getting out into the wild, they should've closed their borders, in hindsight. But the question is was the virus's creation accidental or deliberate? We have to assume accident unless proven otherwise.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Even if it wasn't bio-engineered, China are definitely to blame for it getting out into the wild, they should've closed their borders, in hindsight. But the question is was the virus's creation accidental or deliberate? We have to assume accident unless proven otherwise.
    Right. It is unlikely that it would turn out to be a instance of bio terrorism but then no one can be 100% sure.