Page 17 of 120 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Empyre (2020)

The book may have been prematurely canceled but I miss my buff blue wife

I remember when she slaughtered a planet and all that little trashbag Kevin could care about was how hot she was, and then they let her go without any consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I remember when she slaughtered a planet and all that little trashbag Kevin could care about was how hot she was, and then they let her go without any consequences.
    Can you blame him?

Va-Sohn is the female Kree Starbrand from that bad Starbrand/Nightmask ANAD book.
    So there was two at the same time? That's a major continuity fail, that isn't supposed to be possible.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Let's not forget that the "all he could care about was how hot she was" was a security protocol programmed into his powers -- whenever one Starbrand encounters another they become overwhelmed with lust for each other in order to prevent them from fighting each other and causing mass destruction. (which makes me wish Kevin had run into Wendell Vaughn at some point. Given that Wendell once possessed the Starbrand too, that might have made for an amusingly awkward encounter....).

Anyway, its not like Kevin was being irresponsible and thinking with his hormones. He was literally being controlled to 'make love not war' in encounters with her.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So there was two at the same time? That's a major continuity fail, that isn't supposed to be possible.
    I think that rule only applies to Starbrands of the same planet. It's been a while since I've read the SB&NM book, but I'm pretty sure that it was established there that each planet has a different Starbrand, and that's how they introduced Va-Sohn, who was the Starbrand representative of the Kree planet.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 02-10-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Incredible Member

Anyone at least mad that Kevin got killed in such a dumb way?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    Yes, although I am not convinced he'll stay dead. We've seen vaporized Starbrand wielders reform themselves before, after all. Granted, the fact that the Starbrand has apparently moved on to a new host doesn't necessarily bode well for him...but it could still happen. Maybe it restored him and then moved to a new host. Or maybe Nightmask will restore him somehow.

Not that Kevin is a fan favourite character that many people will be clamoring to see return, of course. I just think he deserved better than that, and I had developed a certain fondness for him in the short lived STARBRAND & NIGHTMASK book. It was a shame it ended so quickly, because I think it had a lot of potential--and it was finally letting Kevin and Adam become characters rather than the walking power set ciphers that Hickman left them as for most of his run with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I think that rule only applies to Starbrands of the same planet. It'se been a while since I've read the SB&NM book, but I'm pretty sure that it was established there that each planet has a different Starbrand, and that's how they introduced Va-Sohn, who was the Starbrand representative of the Kree planet.
    It was established earlier by Hickman in his Avengers run I think when he introduced Kevin and he listed the Starbrand as one of multiple planetary defense mechanisms.

I kinda stopped caring about Kevin when it became obvious he and Nightmask weren't going to be a couple (which I was hoping for after their appearances in Hickman's Avengers), but I did still find it ridiculous how he was taken out by Robbie. And I liked Robbie too, but it was just dumb overall.
    #EmmaWasRight

They could at least have had him be slain by a villain, instead of by another hero!
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Va-Sohn is the female Kree Starbrand from that bad Starbrand/Nightmask ANAD book.
    No smack, dude. I loved that book, and it ended way too soon.

As someone who really enjoyed the Starman and Nightbrand book, yes. Especially with how abrupt it happened. (Robbie is one of my favorite characters in Marvel, and I disdain how he was associated with poor Kevin's abrupt breakdown, let alone demise.)
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 01-27-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Way to butcher their names! StarBRAND and NightMASK, lol.

Ultimate Member

Starmask and Nightbrand can be their antimatterverse evil counterparts.

Mixing up character names to create new characters is fun. Mashing up Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, you could get Red Racer and the Silver Sorceress. Aquaman and Hawkman? Seahawk! Iron Man and the Falcon? Iron Eagle! Hulkling and Wiccan? Witchling!

Astonishing Member

That was a typo/transposition (read: accident on my part), not meant to be purposeful or malicious.

Thor and Squadon Supreme join the fun