Page 64 of 120 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast

Thread: Empyre (2020)

I hope who's narrating changes per issue. Like one issue it's Ben and Jen, and another is Teddy and Sequoia. I don't want it to be from Tony and Reed's perspectives throughout.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Mighty Member

As far as the Avengers are concerned the F4 might as well have not been on that ship. It made absolutely no difference to them and what they were going to do, and maybe it should have. It just seems like a poor idea to ignore potential allies and commit to a plan of action in a situation that has incorporated new variables, especially when those variables have a rich history with the Skrull and Kree and includes one of the smartest people alive. When I think about Tony's specific sort of intelligence it is one that is able to adapt on a dime in a way that often sets him apart from other geniuses, but not so much here.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I hope who's narrating changes per issue. Like one issue it's Ben and Jen, and another is Teddy and Sequoia. I don't want it to be from Tony and Reed's perspectives throughout.
    Was this one done by Tony like the Avengers #0 was? I don't see him and Reed doing all of them.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    When I think about Tony's specific sort of intelligence it is one that is able to adapt on a dime in a way that often sets him apart from other geniuses, but not so much here.
    Tony's intellect is not as specific as you say. Tony always has back up plans for back up plans. His intellect isn't just about adapting. Cap has told Tony he is a brilliant tactician. That's not even going into business acumen.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 07-15-2020 at 09:49 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    As far as the Avengers are concerned the F4 might as well have not been on that ship. It made absolutely no difference to them and what they were going to do, and maybe it should have. It just seems like a poor idea to ignore potential allies and commit to a plan of action in a situation that has incorporated new variables, especially when those variables have a rich history with the Skrull and Kree and includes one of the smartest people alive. When I think about Tony's specific sort of intelligence it is one that is able to adapt on a dime in a way that often sets him apart from other geniuses, but not so much here.
    I think had the FF asked the Avengers to stand down, the Avengers probably would have listened. But honestly the FF barely trusted the Skrulls and Kree more than the Avengers did (understandably so), so the FF didn't really change the Avengers plan too much. THey didn't know what the heck was going on either, and if push came to shove were willing to back the Avengers over Teddy

All that said, Stark probably should have shown more restraint. Not that I entirely fault him since the Kree and Skrull frankly deserve to get blown out of the sky for showing up at Earths doorstep with an armada of ships. After all the crap these guys have tried pulling on earth over the years, they don't get the welcome matt put out for them. But I can't help but wonder if things would have turned out better had Tony not been as gung ho as he was.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Melendez View Post
    The current Avengers lineup doesn't have a telepath and they could only communicate with the Alliance fleet once they were close.
    Ah, I reread the issue and see that it was Plant Swordsman telepathing to Hulk.

Still, with all the other incredible forms of communications...you'd think someone from either side would have asked/listened instead of blow up first.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    Ah, I reread the issue and see that it was Plant Swordsman telepathing to Hulk.

Still, with all the other incredible forms of communications...you'd think someone from either side would have asked/listened instead of blow up first.
    Not in super-hero comics.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think had the FF asked the Avengers to stand down, the Avengers probably would have listened. But honestly the FF barely trusted the Skrulls and Kree more than the Avengers did (understandably so), so the FF didn't really change the Avengers plan too much. THey didn't know what the heck was going on either, and if push came to shove were willing to back the Avengers over Teddy

All that said, Stark probably should have shown more restraint. Not that I entirely fault him since the Kree and Skrull frankly deserve to get blown out of the sky for showing up at Earths doorstep with an armada of ships. After all the crap these guys have tried pulling on earth over the years, they don't get the welcome matt put out for them. But I can't help but wonder if things would have turned out better had Tony not been as gung ho as he was.

I agree that neither Kree nor Skrull should be welcomed with open arms. And I absolutely get the anxiety of having a full armada entering Earth space. But it seemed Teddy was open to discussing and/or explaining why they were their. Tony went aggro on him and then sent the Ghost Rider Quinjet.

To me, it read that Tony wasn't just gung-ho but trigger happy.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    HAHAHAHA...fair point.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    I agree that neither Kree nor Skrull should be welcomed with open arms. And I absolutely get the anxiety of having a full armada entering Earth space. But it seemed Teddy was open to discussing and/or explaining why they were their. Tony went aggro on him and then sent the Ghost Rider Quinjet.

To me, it read that Tony wasn't just gung-ho but trigger happy.
    It was only a couple years ago, Marvel time, that Secret Invasion happened, so Tony wanting to be proactive, rather than reactive makes sense in this situation.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Tony made a mistake, but it was a very human one. With all the history the Kree and Skrull have with the heroes and earth it makes sense that he'd be more on the offensive. When an armada that belongs to long time enemies is on your doorstep then of course you'll want to end things fast.
    Plus Teddy even admitted he was just a figurehead so why would anyone stop things because of him? He admitted that he was being used by long time supervillains. The you add the fact it seems like there is probably psychic influence from the Cotati, what he does makes sense.

It's wasn't the right play in the end, but most would do the same thing in this situation. Marvel heroes are meant to be like real people and make mistakes. This is a mistake most real people would make.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Yeah, Teddy shows up with a freaking armed fleet and Kl'rt on his side, but the Avengers are supposed to know that they're at least kinda right, apparently. They might have been a bit naive, but far from being incompetent.
    Yeah, I love Teddy, but he wasn't smart at all in the way he led the situation. Showing up side by side with an army and the guy who murdered his mom in cold blood was mistake number one. He should've thought of the optics there, and I'm still hoping this will be a plot point in the future. If he wants people to believe the Kree/Skrull Empire is different and can be trusted, he should not be giving a pass to war criminals by letting them remain in positions of power. Him sending Kl'rt and Captain Glory to fight the Avengers didn't help things either and just escalated the situation even further, which led to a fight that distracted everyone from the Cotati and what they were doing. It was a series of bad decisions that gave the Cotati the upper hand there. I hope this failure will lead him to the realization that the Empire needs some major changes.

Agreed.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 07-16-2020 at 02:27 AM.

You can justify Teddy's decision in that he was in a pressing hurry. That plant thing was minutes from activating.

Tony is probably mentally influenced (be it by Cotati, or perhaps by Immortus), which was even brought in the topic before. I think this is an important aspect that needs to be considered when it comes to explaining the characters' decisions.

Based on who is on the front of the covers I think we can assume main narrators to be:
    #1 - Reed and Tony (as we've just seen)
    #2 - Steve and Sue
    #3 - Mantis and T'Challa
    #4 - Ben and Jen
    #5 - Billy and Teddy
    #6 - Carol and Johny

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Gotta have the whacky-misunderstanding-leads-to-hero-fight in the first act. It's tradition.

Heroes team up to kick the real bad-guys ass happens in the third act.

Definitely agree that there's some sort of mental manipulation going on. When Thor introduced the Swordsman as 'a great and noble Avenger' or some such BS, I was like, 'Whaaa? The dude that infiltrated the team for the Mandarin? That you barely even knew, for like, twelve seconds before he died and came back as a space cactus? That, on your best day, you'd be lucky to pick out of a lineup of him, D-Man, Jocasta and the Inhuman's dog?'
    Last edited by Sutekh; 07-16-2020 at 04:12 AM.