Page 49 of 120 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast

Thread: Empyre (2020)

They need more women writing men. If men can write women than women can write men. And outside of a few one shots, the only women writers I can think of who had the chance to write a male led series are Becky Cloonan on Punisher and Kelly Thompson on Deadpool.

Eve Ewing on Black Panther would be AMAZING

That said, I'm SERIOUSLY bummed about Strikeforce #10. They might as well print it imo and end the series on an even number
    Last edited by Seren; 06-28-2020 at 02:54 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    They need more women writing men. If men can write women than women can write men. And outside of a few one shots, the only women writers I can think of who had the chance to write a male led series are Becky Cloonan on Punisher and Kelly Thompson on Deadpool.
    Technically, there was also Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows in its second year, which was written by Jody Houser, even though it could be argued that his daughter Anna-May "Annie" Parker/Spiderling was more of a primary character than him. Less ambiguously, I'd throw in Ann Nocenti's rather respectable run with Daredevil back in the late 1980s/early 1990s as well. That said, I do agree with your overall premise.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    He did seem very introspective and reflective, much more so than usual. More like pre-MCU Tony, who could occasionally entertain a deep thought, before he was all about 'mustache-bros!' and similar snark.
    He talked snark before MCU, but after the MCU started, they did take it up a notch. The main line that got me was how he said he felt at home and there was no technology around. That's doesn't sound like Tony Stark.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-29-2020 at 12:24 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Technically, there was also Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows in its second year, which was written by Jody Houser, even though it could be argued that his daughter Anna-May "Annie" Parker/Spiderling was more of a primary character than him. Less ambiguously, I'd throw in Ann Nocenti's rather respectable run with Daredevil back in the late 1980s/early 1990s as well. That said, I do agree with your overall premise.
    Thank you for reminding me of Jodi Houser on Renew your Vows. I aiming for more recently but yes, also Ann Nocenti on Daredevil and Gail Simone on Deadpool. But the number of female writers writing male characters to the number of male characters who have written women lead solos - is drastically small. If that makes sense.

I still think women writing women needs to happen still too - but that's not all women should be writing. And that thread by Gail Simone that was linked... is ON POINT. We need all of it.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider;5027839[B
    ]Considering that he was the showrunner for the Ben10 sequel series Alien Force and Ultimate Alien featuring a teenaged version of the titular protagonist,[/B] who in retrospect was kind of a forecast of how his voice actor would approach Spider-Man, I really would have loved to see what Dwayne McDuffie could bring to the table. Having read McDuffie's depiction of the web-slinger in the "Beyond!" miniseries, I thought he'd be spectacular and sensational, perhaps even astonishing, on a long-term Spider-Man series. Shame he and others like him, otherwise great, talented, respected creators all, never got that chance. At least with this current situation opening people's eyes, that might finally change.
    Would we have seen a maturity regression between two different McDuffie Spider-Man volumes? Ben 10 fans would get that reference .

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Racial tensions are really high right now, they even just decided to recast all the black characters in The Simpsons and Family Guy. If a white writer gets Black Panther you know Marvel will get slammed by the Black Lives Matter protesters.
    I'm sure they will threaten to...continue to not read the books? What I find hilarious is that Manga's fanbase is far more diverse than Marvel's while having less people of color

Does anyone really care about who voices a cartoon character? Nah, it's just performative wokeness designed to make the people in charge feel good about themselves and to make others believe that they are making a difference.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Would we have seen a maturity regression between two different McDuffie Spider-Man volumes? Ben 10 fans would get that reference .
    Yeah, that's a sadly valid point, but I still think overall he could have done a great job with an ongoing Spider-Man series, given the chance. Also, John Semper, Jr. was the showrunner for the 90s animated series, which still holds up due to the strength of the writing and characterization even if the animation didn't age so well.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm sure they will threaten to...continue to not read the books? What I find hilarious is that Manga's fanbase is far more diverse than Marvel's while having less people of color

Does anyone really care about who voices a cartoon character? Nah, it's just performative wokeness designed to make the people in charge feel good about themselves and to make others believe that they are making a difference.
    Honestly those people who are being suggested as dangerous to marvel because they’ll protest probably don’t even buy comics...

The Dwayne McDuffie comment on always getting asked about black characters but never getting to write a iconic white hero is a problem. It should be about writers credentials not their skin tone or cultural background but background in how good of a writer they are. I’d be more interested in reading what Ewing or Morrison would do with Black Panther than I’ve been with Coates Panther which I dropped pretty early in his run. I’d rather see McDuffie or Priest take on Superman over Lobdell’s it has to do with how well they tell a story not gender or skin tone relations to the character they’re writing. Hell I’d be cool with seeing what KSD does with the JL title or Gail Simone but that’s because they’re good writers so they should get opportunities like that.

Ah, yes, I forgot about the typecasting when creating my theory.
    It really is a loss for everyone aside from social media screechers. Writers who are not white straight men get pushed toward the book that matches their race/gender/sexual orientation instead of what they would like to write (or could use someone of their talent). White straight men who want to write a character that's not one have a high chance of being rejected because the higher-ups will prefer to push a "matching" writer. And then you get the absurdities like Priest not writing anything for years because they only wanted him to write black characters and he refused to be typecasted like that or Yang getting assigned a book about China, with something in vein "you will make it most authentic" despite the fact that he lived his whole life in the US. And Marvel seemingly only got Yang to have an Asian writer to write Shang-Chi, and not because he is one of the most promising recent talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What do you mean here? Due to being from Japan, obviously it will have more "people of colour" both among characters and fans.

Hmmmm isn't this an Empyre thread ?
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Because he's Spider-Man, he pretty much dies into everything that's company wide at least.

He legitimately is both a part of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four, so it's less of a stretch now that might might have been a couple decades ago.
    funny since spiderman not really a company wide/iconic as a hero in universe thus he feels misplaced. Yoi thibk as old as he is, hed start getting cap america level prevelance as a main player in events, but yet hes still treated as the sidekick of the big boys.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Preview of issue 1.
    https://www.newsarama.com/48730-empy...-avengers.html

Solicits:

EMPYRE #1 (of 6)
    AL EWING & DAN SLOTT (W) • VALERIO SCHITI (A) • Cover by JIM CHEUNG
    Avengers Variant Cover by ALEXANDER LOZANO
    Fantastic Four Variant Cover by MICHAEL CHO
    Kree/Skrull Variant Cover by TONY DANIEL
    Variant Cover by DAVID FINCH
    Variant Cover by TBA
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    PARTY VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    PREMIERE VARIANT COVER BY JIM CHEUNG
    HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    2–PACK ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    BLANK VARIANT COVER AND SKRULL GREEN VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE

• The Kree and the Skrulls have united under a new emperor – and their war fleet is on a collision course for our world.
    • On the moon, the Avengers are ready to strike with the full power of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. Approaching from outer space, the Fantastic Four are seeking a diplomatic solution.
    • If the two teams can’t work together to save the day, things can only get worse...
    56 pGs./Rated T+...$5.99

EMPYRE #2 (of 6)
    AL EWING & DAN SLOTT (W) • VALERIO SCHITI (A) • Cover by JIM CHEUNG
    Avengers Variant Cover by Alexander Lozano
    Fantastic Four Variant Cover by Michael Cho
    Kree/Skrull Variant Cover by Tony Daniel
    Variant Cover by TBA
    2-PACK ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    • Three Avengers are trapped on the moon as war breaks out on Earth - and an ancient enemy reveals a scheme decades in the making!
    • Meanwhile, the Fantastic Four fight against a creeping horror that might destroy them all - starting with the Thing!
    • Captain Marvel is their last, best hope... But if Carol Danvers survives, what will she become?
    40 PGS/Rated T+….$4.99

EMPYRE - MARVEL GRAPHIC COMIC BOXES (BUNDLE OF 5)
    Welcome to the Marvel Age of Comic Boxes! Store your treasured collection in sturdy surroundings every bit as exciting as the issues inside! Featuring action-packed illustrations on all sides from some of comics’ finest artists, Marvel’s Graphic Comic Boxes will star all your Marvel Universe favorites - continuing with EMPYRE! Preserve your comic collection with Marvel Graphic Comic Boxes! Inside dimensions: 15-1/2” x 7-5/8” x 10-7/8”.
    Diamond code: JAN201088
    UPC: 5960608660-02311

EMPYRE #0: AVENGERS
    AL EWING (W) • PEPE LARRAZ (A) • Cover by JIM CHEUNG
    VARIANT COVER PEPE LARRAZ
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    Tony Stark wakes from strange dreams – as old allies make a distress call to the Avengers. In the new Green Area of the Moon, the Cotati are waiting with news of a terrible enemy that could wipe out both them and humanity itself. The Celestial Messiah has returned... but are the Avengers ready to hear his message?
    40 PGS./One–Shot/Rated T+ …$4.99

EMPYRE #0: FANTASTIC FOUR
    DAN SLOTT (W) • R.B. SILVA (A) • Cover by JIM CHEUNG
    VARIANT COVER BY R.B. SILVA
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    “The Last of the Kree/Skrull Warriors” – a pivotal issue, not just for EMPYRE, but for the future of the FF!
    In the most unlikely of places, the Fantastic Four witness the final conflict of the Kree/Skrull War... and the fate of these final warriors will mark a stunning change in the lives of Marvel’s First Family for years to come.
    All this, and the introduction of a long hidden Elder of the Universe... the Profiteer! Witness the first appearance of this new, major player in the cosmos!
    40 PGS./One–Shot/Rated T+ …$4.99

EMPYRE: SPIDER–MAN #1 (of 3)
    TARAN KILLAM (W) • DIEGO OLORTEGUI (A) • Cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    Spider–Man has the best rogues’ gallery in comics with the Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Kraven, Venom, Carnage and recent additions like Red Goblin, Itsy Bitsy and Kindred.
    • But there’s another archenemy of Spider–Man who’s been hiding in plain sight, and only the actions of the Kree/Skrull have brought him to the fore of Spider–Man’s story AND Marvel’s big 2020 event!
    32 pages/Rated T …$3.99

EMPYRE: AVENGERS #1 (of 3)
    Jim Zub (W) • Carlos Magno (A) • COVER BY STEVE MCNIVEN
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    With the threat from the stars now reaching Earth, Captain America sends out the call for heroes to meet its advance across the globe! But in the far–off Antarctic Savage Land, Ka–Zar and the Agents of Wakanda have located an enemy offensive that could change the course of the conflict! Which Avengers will answer the call to this remote area and will they be able to cope with the strangeness they find there?
    32 pages/Rated T …$3.99

LORDS OF EMPYRE: EMPEROR HULKLING #1
    CHIP ZDARSKY & ANTHONY OLIVEIRA (W) • Manuel Garcia (A) • COVER BY PAT GLEASON
    VARIANT Cover by Luciano Vecchio
    VARIANT COVER BY JEN BARTEL
    VARIANT COVER BY JEFF DEKAL
    DESTINY FULFILLED!
    The child of the Kree hero Mar-Vell and Skrull Princess Anelle, Dorrek VIII — known on Earth as “Teddy” — has spent years evading the clutches of both bloodthirsty empires. But now fate has caught up to him. The Kree and Skrull worlds are aligned — and only a man born of both can lead them. But what has led Hulkling to abandon Earth and the Avengers he’s fought beside? And what will become of his fiancé, the hero Wiccan? Star writers Chip Zdarsky and Anthony Oliveira team up with artist Manual Garcia for a can’t-miss one-shot!
    40 pages/ONE–SHOT/ Rated T+ …$4.99

EMPYRE HANDBOOK #1
    VARIOUS (W) • VARIOUS (A) • Cover by RON LIM
    Multiple races across the universe are pulled into a major conflict when EMPYRE hits! The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe helps keep the participants straight with updates of the major players in this star-spanning war: The Avengers! The Fantastic Four! Captain Marvel (Danvers)! The Skrulls! The Kree! Hulkling! Plus: All-new profiles of Kree members Bel-Dann, Captain Glory (Gla-Ree) and Tanalth, Skrull member Raksor, and the Cotati Swordsman! Also featuring the mysterious, never-before profiled Blue Area of Earth’s Moon!
    48 pages/ONE–SHOT/ Rated T+ …$4.99

X–MEN #10
    JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • Leinil Francis Yu (A/C)
    MARVEL ZOMBIES VARIANT COVER BY Ryan Brown
    EMPYRE VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    CONFRONTATION VARIANT BY PATCH ZIRCHER
    EMPYRE TIE–IN!
    The Summers family has grown a Krakoan home on the moon. Now some new neighbors have moved in.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

FANTASTIC FOUR #21
    DAN SLOTT (W) • SEAN IZAAKSE (A) • Cover by NICK BRADSHAW
    MARVEL ZOMBIES VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    EMPYRE VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    CONFRONTATION VARIANT BY PATCH ZIRCHER
    EMPYRE TIE–IN!
    With the Fantastic Four neck–deep in the menace in space, who can Powerhouse and Brainstorm call upon to deal with the crisis down on Earth? Only Spider–Man and Wolverine, of course!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Thats a bold fucking claim. Call when one of them reaches a billion dollar box office or is generally more famous than any superhero in the marvel u like batmans are in the dcu.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Thats a bold fucking claim. Call when one of them reaches a billion dollar box office or is generally more famous than any superhero in the marvel u like batmans are in the dcu.
    batman doesn't have chemo so he sucks
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    batman doesn't have chemo so he sucks
    spideys still the avengers sidekick. So meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post

That said, I'm SERIOUSLY bummed about Strikeforce #10. They might as well print it imo and end the series on an even number
    Or digitize it?? Something! I need that Billy-perspective content!