Page 83 of 120 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1797

Thread: Empyre (2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    Empyre is the first event in who knows how long that I am enjoying. The boys having a significant role probably helps with that.

It's nice to care about an event though. I honestly don't remember the last time I did.
    My sentiments EXACTLY. The past few events I just haven't enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Empyre #5 preview

I gotta say I really like the McKelvie Wiccan costume when the starfield is blue and the base is black
    Seems Johnny noticed his eyes too...
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    It looks like many people here are not thrilled about Empye.I really like it.The thing i dont understand is every Event that comes out you always think bad things about it.Im sure a lot of People liked it.I guess this is why we have Internet
    Though overall I am enjoying the event, I think the cancelled tie-ins (Invasion of Wakanda in particular) is somewhat hurting the story. I just don't feel as though I'm getting a 100% complete story here.

And I also feel the threat level of the antagonists is somewhat on the low side. They're only now just starting to feel really threatening.

But all criticism aside, I am genuinely enjoying the event and the characters it's choosing to spotlight.

Mighty Member

Me too And your right the Canceled Tie-ins hurts the Event somewhat.But i am loving it,Did anybody get the Handbook.Im glad there doing Handbooks

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Really, the earth heroes have won against pretty much everyone. Skrulls, Kree, Shiar, Galactus, Thanos, Builders, Beyonders, etc.

Not only should the Kree and Skrulls respect the earth (or earth heroes at least) more, they should frankly FEAR them at this point. They frankly should be smart enough to just shut up, get out of the Avengers way, and let them fix thing.

Obviously the aliens will never ever be written that way, but that's probably what realistically should happen at this point.
    The Kree for sure should fear, respect, and consider themselves to owe a debt of honor to the Avengers, after they freed so many Builder-occupied Kree planets during Infinity. Assuming that that event still even happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Mar-Vell never knew he had kids. He must've left Anelle when she was pregnant, and his other kids Genis and Phyla are genetically engineered. Teddy always thought Mary-Jo Altman was his real mother, until just before she died (in the original YA series) where she revealed the truth, that she was a Skrull maid (Teddy didn't even know he was a Skrull or Kree before this, he assumed he was a human mutant), sent to Earth with Teddy as the Throneworld was about to be destroyed (shades of Superman there!), and she took human form and raised him as her own, having arrived on Earth to find Mar-Vell had died.

The problem though, is that the timeline didn't add up. Empyre added a retcon to fix it - time travel is now involved in their journey to Earth. Considering Teddy's age, they must've now arrived before the Fantastic Four got their powers, and therefore, before Mar-Vell was even on Earth. Same result - Mar isn't there to give Teddy to so Mary-Jo raises him herself. Teddy did eventually think he'd met Mar-Vell, but this was actually a Skrull who believed he was Mar-Vell, and when told that he was dead from cancer (I think he was told about Teddy at the same time), believed he must've time travelled from before then and got amnesia.
    Where was the time travel during Teddy's journey to Earth thing clearly stated, in the main series or in a tie-in? I seem to have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Where was the time travel during Teddy's journey to Earth thing clearly stated, in the main series or in a tie-in? I seem to have missed it.
    The Emperor Hulkling tie-in said something about sending him through "time and space".

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    The Emperor Hulkling tie-in said something about sending him through "time and space".
    Ah, just reopened it... "through space, through time". Not really what I'd call explicit, and so offhand I missed it first time reading it, but I guess that does give them some wiggle room on Teddy's age vs how long ago the Kree-Skrull War event where Mar-vell and Anelle conceived him must have been.

Although I can't seem to think of another instance of someone not from Earth (or Asgard, I guess, if you want to get technical) managing time travel to the past, even as part of space travel, which does make it seem pretty weird.

It looks like many people here are not thrilled about Empye.I really like it.The thing i dont understand is every Event that comes out you always think bad things about it.Im sure a lot of People liked it.I guess this is why we have Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    Empyre is the first event in who knows how long that I am enjoying. The boys having a significant role probably helps with that.

It's nice to care about an event though. I honestly don't remember the last time I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    My sentiments EXACTLY. The past few events I just haven't enjoyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Though overall I am enjoying the event, I think the cancelled tie-ins (Invasion of Wakanda in particular) is somewhat hurting the story. I just don't feel as though I'm getting a 100% complete story here.

And I also feel the threat level of the antagonists is somewhat on the low side. They're only now just starting to feel really threatening.

But all criticism aside, I am genuinely enjoying the event and the characters it's choosing to spotlight.
    Me too And your right the Canceled Tie-ins hurts the Event somewhat.But i am loving it,Did anybody get the Handbook.Im glad there doing Handbooks
    I too like you guys am enjoying Empyre as an event. I like that they are touching on characters that haven't gotten the spotlight they deserve. I gotta say I usually see things coming a mile away and I really was surprised about spoilers:
    She-Hulk being dead and her body being used as basically a puppet. Also CANNOT WAIT TO SEE Tony's FF armor.
    end of spoilers Looking forward to the last issues to see what is to come.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 08-07-2020 at 02:08 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Ah, just reopened it... "through space, through time". Not really what I'd call explicit, and so offhand I missed it first time reading it, but I guess that does give them some wiggle room on Teddy's age vs how long ago the Kree-Skrull War event where Mar-vell and Anelle conceived him must have been.

Although I can't seem to think of another instance of someone not from Earth (or Asgard, I guess, if you want to get technical) managing time travel to the past, even as part of space travel, which does make it seem pretty weird.
    Honestly Heinberg just didn't think through(or didn't care) about the timelines when it came to the YA, Billy and Tommy's ages don't make sense either which is why the SW solo said something about "their souls were either sent back in time or took over the bodies of existing children". Marvel's default attitude on stuff like that it's to just not acknowledge the problem, so little tidbits like that by writers who know things don't check it's probably the most we can get.

Yeah, without time travel involved, all three of them should've been no older than Moon Girl. Heinberg didn't do the maths and other writers have had to fix it.

It's not the only time someone messed up the sliding timescale. There was a digital Avengers book a couple of years ago involving Kamala Khan seeing past Avengers adventures via a VR headset. It gets tampered with and she actually gets sent back in time to around when the Kooky Quartet debuted. She became a fifth member of it. But then she sees her mother. Who gets killed. That would supposedly mean Kamala wouldn't have been born... which is incorrect, as Kamala should've already been 2 or 3 years old by then (the Avengers formed about 14 years ago, the FF got their powers 15 years ago).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-07-2020 at 04:26 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Honestly Heinberg just didn't think through(or didn't care) about the timelines when it came to the YA, Billy and Tommy's ages don't make sense either which is why the SW solo said something about "their souls were either sent back in time or took over the bodies of existing children". Marvel's default attitude on stuff like that it's to just not acknowledge the problem, so little tidbits like that by writers who know things don't check it's probably the most we can get.
    Just because Heinberg didn't address the intricate details of the HOW within the first 2 volumes, doesn't mean he didn't think through or didn't care. If we follow that logic, he didn't think through or care about Tommy's back story, how Billy's powers work, who the other Avenger Protocol names belong to and how they're linked to the Avengers, or any other questions that may have billowed about in our brains at the conclusion of those first 2 volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Just because Heinberg didn't address the intricate details of the HOW within the first 2 volumes, doesn't mean he didn't think through or didn't care. If we follow that logic, he didn't think through or care about Tommy's back story, how Billy's powers work, who the other Avenger Protocol names belong to and how they're linked to the Avengers, or any other questions that may have billowed about in our brains at the conclusion of those first 2 volumes.
    I don't see how those things are even remotely comparable. The fact that their ages don't match any possible in-universe timeline is a technical problem, things like not showing Tommy's backstory or fully explaining Billy's powers are storytelling choices. IIRC no one in-universe questioned "wait, wasn't the Kree-Skrull war just a few years ago?" or "Shouldn't the reincarnation of Wanda's children still be children?" during Heinberg's issues. They all just went with it as if it made complete sense.

They all just went with it as if it made complete sense.
    As one is wont to do, when endlessly faced with space aliens, time travel, magic, reality alteration, etc.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Seems Johnny noticed his eyes too...
    LMAO. My thoughts exactly. Johnny giving off some bi vibes there.