Page 48 of 120 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast

Thread: Empyre (2020)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sataniel View Post
    That recent trailer put a lot of emphasis at T'Challa with all the scenes around "A king must fall". And considering that originally Coates's Panther was supposed to end before Empyre I wouldn't be surprised if the new run will follow on whatever ramifications Empyre will have. And considering that Slott ends his Iron Man, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one to write the new BP.
    Goddess Bast!!! I hope not.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Maybe Eve Ewing should take over Black Panther? Wakanda featured in the second half of her Ironheart run, and she's black - using a white writer on an ethnic character wouldn't be good PR right now. She'd probably have the time as Champions is currently her only other book.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Maybe Eve Ewing should take over Black Panther? Wakanda featured in the second half of her Ironheart run, and she's black - using a white writer on an ethnic character wouldn't be good PR right now. She'd probably have the time as Champions is currently her only other book.
    I honestly believe only allowing a certain race to write a parent title of a character POC character or not is genuinely racist. I get it’s under good intent, but it’s just silly. I’d rather a writer be chosen off their pitch, understanding and love for the character, over the writers cultural background and melanin levels.

Black Panther was created by white men, he’s had some good runs by Black men. But I’d argue his great runs was due to the writers love of the character. Priest being a writer whose been killing it with Deathstroke. Coates being a writer whose been vocally against with his direction for the Black Panther mythos.

I have the same complaint with only hiring women to write female comics it’s dumb. I’d argue Brian Reed was Carol’s best writer and there’s a reason it went to over 50 issues something she hasn’t done since. DC doesn’t even do that with their feminist icon we’ve had writers like Greg Rucka, Jimenez, Perez

Heck Morrison did her Earth One books

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I honestly believe only allowing a certain race to write a parent title of a character POC character or not is genuinely racist. I get it’s under good intent, but it’s just silly. I’d rather a writer be chosen off their pitch, understanding and love for the character, over the writers cultural background and melanin levels.

Black Panther was created by white men, he’s had some good runs by Black men. But I’d argue his great runs was due to the writers love of the character. Priest being a writer whose been killing it with Deathstroke. Coates being a writer whose been vocally against with his direction for the Black Panther mythos.

I have the same complaint with only hiring women to write female comics it’s dumb. I’d argue Brian Reed was Carol’s best writer and there’s a reason it went to over 50 issues something she hasn’t done since. DC doesn’t even do that with their feminist icon we’ve had writers like Greg Rucka, Jimenez, Perez

Heck Morrison did her Earth One books
    I don't think the race or gender of the writer should matter in theory ... a good pitch is a good pitch.

That said, the cancelled Blade book and the backlash it got leading to its cancellation sort of shows that marvel has to at least have a degree of awareness to the issue.

"Coates" ...that's all.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    here are the solicited Empyre tie-in titles that seem to have been deleted:

Empyre: Ghost Rider #1
    Empyre: The Invasion of Wakanda #1–3
    Empyre: Spider-Man #1–3
    Empyre: Squadron Supreme #1–2
    Empyre: Stormranger #1–3
    Empyre: Thor #1–3
    Strikeforce #10
    The Union #1–3 (of 5)
    Phew THANK GOD....

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    But what I'm most looking forward to is how Ewing will write the Fantastic Four.
    To be honest I wonder if this event is grooming Ewing to take over either The Avengers or the FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest I wonder if this event is grooming Ewing to take over either The Avengers or the FF.
    Ewing would definaely make a great FF writer. Exploring the universe and dealing with high end concepts just seems to be a nice fit for both. Ewings Ultimate book in a lot of ways felt more like an FF book than an Avengers book.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Ewing would definaely make a great FF writer. Exploring the universe and dealing with high end concepts just seems to be a nice fit for both. Ewings Ultimate book in a lot of ways felt more like an FF book than an Avengers book.
    Yes indeed, it did.

I don't think the race or gender of the writer should matter in theory ... a good pitch is a good pitch.

That said, the cancelled Blade book and the backlash it got leading to its cancellation sort of shows that marvel has to at least have a degree of awareness to the issue.
    Racial tensions are really high right now, they even just decided to recast all the black characters in The Simpsons and Family Guy. If a white writer gets Black Panther you know Marvel will get slammed by the Black Lives Matter protesters, like I said, it would be bad PR. I wasn't being racist, but it is a sensitive situation right now. Ideally, they would go with the best writer available, even if it is a white male. But right now, they can't afford negative publicity.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

The ISSUE that many have is POC and women and LGBTQ are not being called to PITCH.

It does not matter if a pitch is good if the only person constantly asked is a straight white male.

I honestly believe only allowing a certain race to write a parent title of a character POC character or not is genuinely racist.
    If that is the only books you get offered-that is all you can do.

Gail Simone talked about this about Dwayne McDuffie.

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/statu...10963175395328

Why wasn't he writing Superman?

And I asked Dwayne once, at a convention, if he thought things were 'getting better.'

'Getting better' does not equal 'good.'

And we were talking about race in comics, and he said...

"There still has never been a black writer doing an ongoing run on an iconic title at Marvel or DC."

And all my little illusions shattered because it was true, no Dwayne writing Superman, no Priest writing Avengers, not ongoing, anyway.

But did I get an ongoing gig to write ACTION COMICS, DC's flagship book, before Dwayne got to write an ongoing iconic title?

YEARS of experience, die-hard fanbase, impeccable resume.

Quite frankly, he had absolutely everything you need to write the flagship titles.

But he didn't get asked.

And he joked, but with some pain, "I'm always getting asked to do dvd commentary about Black Lightning or Black Panther, anything black.

I KNOW EVERYTHING about Spider-man, and they NEVER ask me for that!"

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The ISSUE that many have is POC and women and LGBTQ are not being called to PITCH.

It does not matter if a pitch is good if the only person constantly asked is a straight white male.

For Black panther at least I'm damn sure poc are being called to pitch. I frankly wonder if it's a requirement at this point. Not that I mind one way or the other, as long as I end up liking the book.

I really enjoyed the Empyre Avengers #0 issue. It's off to a great start with both great writing and beautiful art. I like how thins were told from Tony's perspective. I think he is being controlled by something because of things he was saying that didn't quite sound like Tony Stark. Really looking forward to issue #1. I think this event is going to be something most people will really like and get into.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I like how things were told from Tony's perspective. I think he is being controlled by something because of things he was saying that didn't quite sound like Tony Stark.
    He did seem very introspective and reflective, much more so than usual. More like pre-MCU Tony, who could occasionally entertain a deep thought, before he was all about 'mustache-bros!' and similar snark.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Considering that he was the showrunner for the Ben10 sequel series Alien Force and Ultimate Alien featuring a teenaged version of the titular protagonist, who in retrospect was kind of a forecast of how his voice actor would approach Spider-Man, I really would have loved to see what Dwayne McDuffie could bring to the table. Having read McDuffie's depiction of the web-slinger in the "Beyond!" miniseries, I thought he'd be spectacular and sensational, perhaps even astonishing, on a long-term Spider-Man series. Shame he and others like him, otherwise great, talented, respected creators all, never got that chance. At least with this current situation opening people's eyes, that might finally change.
    The spider is always on the hunt.