Page 45 of 120 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast

Thread: Empyre (2020)

Ewing using Thor to gaslight me into thinking I was too hard on Celestial Quest

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

It was a good prelude issue. It gave us a clear understanding of the Cotati perspective, and kind of confirmed some suspicions that I had about their role in this. I think Quoi is a very interesting character.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    I still think the Cotati are screwing with the Avengers' heads at this point. And after they had that meal, probably influencing them from the inside out.
    Yeah, I definitely got that feeling, judging by the way Tony was behaving. The dreams he was having, the things he was feeling (which he himself admitted was out of character). Quoi is the son of a telepath/empath, after all, so I wouldn't be surprised if he inherited his mother's powers.

Also, I loved how quickly Carol was to link everything that was going on to the events of Incoming!. She's smart, and I think she might be one of the first people to see through it, which explains the whole Accuser thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    It was a good prelude issue. It gave us a clear understanding of the Cotati perspective, and kind of confirmed some suspicions that I had about their role in this. I think Quoi is a very interesting character.

Yeah, I definitely got that feeling, judging by the way Tony was behaving. The dreams he was having, the things he was feeling (which he himself admitted was out of character). Quoi is the son of a telepath/empath, after all, so I wouldn't be surprised if he inherited his mother's powers.

Also, I loved how quickly Carol was to link everything that was going on to the events of Incoming!. She's smart, and I think she might be one of the first people to see through it, which explains the whole Accuser thing.
    I can also explain the whole 'Teddy stabbing Carol' thing from the trailer. Excelsior could have the ability to cut through mind control too.

Astonishing Member

It was a prelude issue (one of two with Fantastic Four being next up), so there wasn't going to be a wealth of material. I wasn't expecting much, but I really enjoyed this. I loved the callbacks to Marvel lore such as Celestial Madonna, Kree/Skrull War, even a mini like the Celestial Quest. But there are minor allusions in the dialogue (Uatu being dead and having used the Blue Area of The Moon, even Tony pointing out Carol's expression being the same as it was during Civil War 2). It gives this a organic feel. That it is the natural progression of stories in the past. Instead of something Marvel mass pulled out of its ass.

I also liked that The Avengers actually sat down and discussed a course of action. How many of these things kick off with heroes rushing in and punching first? Of course, the Avengers are likely being mislead (I'd be surprised if they weren't), but they sat down and discussed things. Deferring to Carol on matters of the Kree, Thor discussing the events of Celestial Quest, everybody got a showing (Jen is just there to punch things and Robbie is so out of his depth that Tony evens remarks that he "looks like a tourist.")

Marvel needs to stick the landing. Most events start off well, but go off the rails. But Ewing has earned enough good will with me. If they can, this might just be an event worth telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post

Yes! Carol referencing the "Don't trust the trees" things?? I FORGOT about that and being reminded about that SAVAGE eruption from the Skrull shook me. The dreams that Tony was having-- the imagery was so powerful --those poor Cotati were slaughtered, and it left me devastated. And then to be later reminded by Carol of that Skrull being killed was just WOW.
    And MAN, I hadn't even thought about their whole sharing a meal and how that may be passifying their collective anxieties and swaying their behavior/response. Good call! Good catch! Man oh man, I just don't know how to feel. I love this and we're only ONE prelude into the event. I love the nuance of it all. I love that Ewing is playing this angle that no one side is entirely good/just. We're talking about whole communities/races/species and not every member is going to be pure of heart. There can and WILL be influencers with their own malicious agendas -- as evidenced by the white Kree in Tony's dream, encouraging the slaughter as the right course of action.

So. Friggin. Good.
    Well done, Ewing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    It was a prelude issue (one of two with Fantastic Four being next up), so there wasn't going to be a wealth of material. I wasn't expecting much, but I really enjoyed this. I loved the callbacks to Marvel lore such as Celestial Madonna, Kree/Skrull War, even a mini like the Celestial Quest. But there are minor allusions in the dialogue (Uatu being dead and having used the Blue Area of The Moon, even Tony pointing out Carol's expression being the same as it was during Civil War 2). It gives this a organic feel. That it is the natural progression of stories in the past. Instead of something Marvel mass pulled out of its ass.

I also liked that The Avengers actually sat down and discussed a course of action. How many of these things kick off with heroes rushing in and punching first? Of course, the Avengers are likely being mislead (I'd be surprised if they weren't), but they sat down and discussed things. Deferring to Carol on matters of the Kree, Thor discussing the events of Celestial Quest, everybody got a showing (Jen is just there to punch things and Robbie is so out of his depth that Tony evens remarks that he "looks like a tourist.")

Marvel needs to stick the landing. Most events start off well, but go off the rails. But Ewing has earned enough good will with me. If they can, this might just be an event worth telling.
    Yes. Ewing is doing so great. I've been such a big fan of his for so long now, I'm so thrilled he's getting to tie all of this together in such a radical space opera. He's so gifted when it comes to tethering and tying continuity bits together and using those bits to further a fresh narrative. Man I'm so excited!

BANNED

Found on twitter. Wonder more if it's to do with mind control

Also so many references with run so many dropped plot points brought back. Teen Tony, Cotati's war, Teddy's destiny.

I really enjoyed this. It felt like the most "Avengers" comic in years. Like Fokken pointed out, for the first time in ages this feels like a natural extension of past events.
    I also love the characterizations (aside from She-Hulk, Aaron's take is terrible) and Pepe Larraz is an absolute god.

Amazing Member

I never read She-Hulk, but wasn’t she a lawyer and more articulate? Why is she talking like the Hulk?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gch230 View Post
    I never read She-Hulk, but wasn’t she a lawyer and more articulate? Why is she talking like the Hulk?
    she's a lawyer, so time is of the essence and she cannot afford to waste even 1 second

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Years of bad writing
    "Cable was right!"

Because Jason Aaron wanted a Hulk and he made sure he got one.

BANNED

my explanation better

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yes! Carol referencing the "Don't trust the trees" things?? I FORGOT about that and being reminded about that SAVAGE eruption from the Skrull shook me. The dreams that Tony was having-- the imagery was so powerful --those poor Cotati were slaughtered, and it left me devastated. And then to be later reminded by Carol of that Skrull being killed was just WOW.
    And MAN, I hadn't even thought about their whole sharing a meal and how that may be passifying their collective anxieties and swaying their behavior/response. Good call! Good catch! Man oh man, I just don't know how to feel. I love this and we're only ONE prelude into the event. I love the nuance of it all. I love that Ewing is playing this angle that no one side is entirely good/just. We're talking about whole communities/races/species and not every member is going to be pure of heart. There can and WILL be influencers with their own malicious agendas -- as evidenced by the white Kree in Tony's dream, encouraging the slaughter as the right course of action.

So. Friggin. Good.
    Well done, Ewing!

Yes. Ewing is doing so great. I've been such a big fan of his for so long now, I'm so thrilled he's getting to tie all of this together in such a radical space opera. He's so gifted when it comes to tethering and tying continuity bits together and using those bits to further a fresh narrative. Man I'm so excited!
    Very good points there about entire communities/species/races having their own shares of good and bad people and things not being as clear-cut as they seem. Personally, I take this to mean that the X-Men are likely or actually still working to protect Earth, even if the initial solicitations for their tie-in suggested they were betraying Earth, given that Jonathan Hickman's current run has put them in a similar moral gray zone.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

I really enjoyed the Avengers issue, lets hope it's the same for the FF book.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

https://twitter.com/DustinWeaver12/s...80750461075456

Looks like Invasion Of Wakanda is confirmed to be cancelled. He even says they're using the covers for the tie-in as variants for the main series. If we don't get any news about the other titles soon, I'm just gonna assume the same happened to them. Man, I was really looking forward to The Union.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 06-26-2020 at 12:46 AM.