Page 73 of 120 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1797

Thread: Empyre (2020)

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I liked this issue better than the previous one. I liked how the heroes were divided in different groups and the interactions of each group.

Mantis! I'm looking forward to her encounter with Quoi. I, too, think that there's still some hope for him. I feel like Swordsman might really end up being the big bad here.

Man, I did NOT see that twist coming for Tanalth. spoilers:
    When she was about to show her true form... I thought it was gonna be Veranke. How the hell did R'Klll survive Galactus? Did Anelle survive too? Has she been disguised as Tanalth ALL this time, like even going back to the time Tanalth was created a few years ago, meaning that Tanalth never really existed and was always a role created by R'Klll? I think what confuses me the most is that she seems evil, but I don't recall her being evil before. From what I read from the character, I was always under the impression that she was better than Dorrek VII. Then again, it's been a long time ever since she was presumed dead, so who knows what she's been up to for all those years and what happened to her?
    end of spoilers

Really curious to see where this goes. Next issue is probably going to be a rollercoaster!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post

Go to the very end for the full artwork reveal.
    So that was it? I mean, it was a great idea, actually, and they made the reveal look so cool... but it's just weird that they would make such a big deal about this particular art. I hope they consider doing this again for something more relevant in the future. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    Honestly, I think that's what they're going to go for. spoilers:
    if Anelle is alive, that can mean Teddy has an out from the throne. As much as I'd like Emperor Teddy and Royal Consort Billy, I think it might be best for them to stay adjacent to the politics of space rather in the middle (for their safety and my Billyteddy heart's sake) she can be his like regent. Even though she's only Skrull, she did have Teddy with Mar-vell, and from what I understand, she wanted peace between the two. She's also more experienced, so I think she could rule fairly well. Have Teddy be Emperor in name for now while Anelle deals with the nitty gritty stuff. And when Teddy is older and more secure , he can RULE rule the empire
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    My mind definitely went there too. If Anelle is alive, there would be less of a burden on Teddy's shoulders, and he could probably not worry about being emperor full-time if his mom is there to help him. That could easily be used as an excuse for him to have more stories on Earth; just say his mom is the person in charge when he's not around.

Also, I can't help but wonder.... could they dare to bring Mar-Vell back too if they wanna represent both Kree and Skrulls as emperors? The Fantastic Four #25 solicit for October DID say an important cosmic character has returned from the dead, and it has been stated that Empyre will change things for the cosmic side of Marvel, creating a new Space Age. I feel like bringing Mar-Vell back and letting him rule the Kree/Skrull Empire alongside Anelle (which is actually exactly what happens in one particular alternative universe from a What If...? comic) is definitely one way to challenge the cosmic status quo. I hate to get my hopes up for this... but I would love if this event is used to just basically bring Teddy's entire family back from the dead. Genis and Phyla too, while we're at it!
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 07-29-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I liked this issue better than the previous one. I liked how the heroes were divided in different groups and the interactions of each group.

Mantis! I'm looking forward to her encounter with Quoi. I, too, think that there's still some hope for him. I feel like Swordsman might really end up being the big bad here.

When she was about to show her true form... I thought it was gonna be Veranke. How the hell did R'Klll survive Galactus? Did Anelle survive too? Has she been disguised as Tanalth ALL this time, like even going back to the time Tanalth was created a few years ago, meaning that Tanalth never really existed and was always a role created by R'Klll? I think what confuses me the most is that she seems evil, but I don't recall her being evil before. From what I read from the character, I was always under the impression that she was better than Dorrek VII. Then again, it's been a long time ever since she was presumed dead, so who knows what she's been up to for all those years and what happened to her?
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    My mind definitely went there too. If Anelle is alive, there would be less of a burden on Teddy's shoulders, and he could probably not worry about being emperor full-time if his mom is there to help him. That could easily be used as an excuse for him to have more stories on Earth; just say his mom is the person in charge when he's not around.

Also, I can't help but wonder.... could they dare to bring Mar-Vell back too if they wanna represent both Kree and Skrulls as emperors? The Fantastic Four #25 solicit for October DID say an important cosmic character has returned from the dead, and it has been stated that Empyre will change things for the cosmic side of Marvel, creating a new Space Age. I feel like bringing Mar-Vell back and letting him rule the Kree/Skrull Empire alongside Anelle (which is actually exactly what happens in one particular alternative universe from a What If...? comic) is definitely one way to challenge the cosmic status quo. I hate to get my hopes up for this... but I would love if this event is used to just basically bring Teddy's entire family back from the dead. Genis and Phyla too, while we're at it!
    end of spoilers
    Don't hype me up for something that'll probably never happen lol! But, tbh IF they did do that, then spoilers:
    that would certainly change the face of the cosmic side. Having the space Uncle Ben (aka characters known famously for their deaths) be resurrected would turn heads and get people talking, so I could maybe see it from a promo standpoint. It would also, like you said, give Teddy a chance to experience a family (well, blood family, since the YA are his found family ). Plus, Al is a stickler for that continuity stuff, and I'd imagine fulfilling that What If? would totally be something he would do.

It could also wreck us BillyTeddy stans because he'll have someone to be on his side of the aisle so to speak, along with Anelle if she really is back, when they have their wedding. I'd imagine it would also provide some really funny moments, like Mar-vell acknowledging the fact that Wanda and he were captured together, and now their sons are getting married. Even get Jeff and Rebecca to finally come out of hiding and interact with their son and new in-laws ON PAGE! And if there isn't a cheesy shot of Mary-Jo's spirit in the sky watching over it all, then I demand Marvel let Anthony redo it! Anyway, this all is based on a huge what if, so we shall see lol
    end of spoilers

Though, all this does beg the question about everyone's whereabouts post-Empyre. Even though there are all those Knull shenanigans going on, I don't know if everyone here is directly related to it. Do Teddy and Billy get absorbed into GOTG as side characters? Does Al jumpstart a new cosmic book with them? There's a lot of possibilities, especially since its looking like there might be a YA reunion happening soon-ish (or whenever they decide they want synergy with the MCU). This is so exciting (and nerve-wracking)! As a YA stan, haven't felt this since Empyre was first teased!
    Last edited by Waking Replica; 07-29-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Ok, I not at all up to date on Skrull history, but what every happen to the other Skrull Empress, S'Byll? She was the one who brought back the shape-shifting ability and ended the Skrull-Kree war in a truce for a short time in the late 80s and early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post

end of spoilers

Really curious to see where this goes. Next issue is probably going to be a rollercoaster!

So that was it? I mean, it was a great idea, actually, and they made the reveal look so cool... but it's just weird that they would make such a big deal about this particular art. I hope they consider doing this again for something more relevant in the future. LOL

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    Marvel did bring back Marv in Civil War... but they aborted the idea. If there's one super hero that might stay dead it would be him. But as this is comics, it's almost naive to assume any super hero would stay dead indefinately. So if COULD happen... and if it were to happen in any event it would probably be this one.

I do think Carol being Captain Marvel makes it a bit less likely though. The movie basically cements her as THE Captain Marvel.

Yeah, but in that theory, spoilers:
    Mar-Vell would not be resuming his superhero mantle, he'd be co-ruling the Alliance with Princess Anelle. Carol would still be the primary Captain Marvel on Earth. Incidentally, isn't the Cap mantle ALREADY shared anyway? The AU Phyla in GOTG is also Captain Marvel.

And considering the revelations in Empyre #3, could that person Teddy is hugging on that censored cover be Anelle?
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, but in that theory, spoilers:
    Mar-Vell would not be resuming his superhero mantle, he'd be co-ruling the Alliance with Princess Anelle. Carol would still be the primary Captain Marvel on Earth. Incidentally, isn't the Cap mantle ALREADY shared anyway? The AU Phyla in GOTG is also Captain Marvel.

And considering the revelations in Empyre #3, could that person Teddy is hugging on that censored cover be Anelle?
    end of spoilers
    Unless they want to invoke that Ultimates comic with Wanda and Pietro, I'm highly doubtful it's her on the cover. Teddy's blushing and caressing the person's face, indicating a more romantic connection to whoever *cough* Billy *cough* it is on the cover with him. And with the vaguely arbor looking structure behind him, it screams more wedding than parental homecoming. I'm sure if this theory is correct, she'll probably be there in the background and that'll be a part of why it's censored, but I don't think she's in the central position.

Just deleted
    Last edited by GOLGO 13; 07-30-2020 at 07:14 AM.

Ultimate Member

On 'Tanalth'
    spoilers:
    I vaguely recall R'Kll saying something to Annelle about an escape ship, and Annelle having none of it and saying better to die like a Skrull with their people than escape and live without honor or whatever. So I guess R'Kll said "Byeeee!" and got on that escape ship, which presumably had some sort of quantum teleportation drive, since I doubt anyone could just 'fly away' from 'planet getting eated by Galactus.'
    end of spoilers

Seems unlikely that Anelle would be alive after all this time, presumed. Points to the absurdity of never bringing back Mar-vell, if Anelle could be brought back. I'll have to see what they do. I remember no one thinking Bucky could ever come back, but that is what this would be, some sort of "you didn't know, and/but". ON the other hand, wasn't Mar-Vell already deceased when the hOme world was eaten by Galactus? Maybe Captain M's spirit rescued Anelle and her mom? Who really knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Who really knows?
    ....Al Ewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Seems unlikely that Anelle would be alive after all this time, presumed. Points to the absurdity of never bringing back Mar-vell, if Anelle could be brought back. I'll have to see what they do. I remember no one thinking Bucky could ever come back, but that is what this would be, some sort of "you didn't know, and/but". ON the other hand, wasn't Mar-Vell already deceased when the hOme world was eaten by Galactus? Maybe Captain M's spirit rescued Anelle and her mom? Who really knows?
    Correct. Death of Captain Marvel was released January 12, 1982, and Fantastic Four #257, the issue in which the Skrull throneworld was destroyed, in August 1983. Anelle must've been unaware of Mar-Vell's death.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marve..._Novel_Vol_1_1
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_257
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I’ve bought every comic so far and all I can say is this is less than so so. I can’t get into a war with salad. It seems to me that any of the three allies would wipe the floor with these plant people. Ready to drop the whole thing if it doesn’t have something major happen. Kree/Skrull war was great. Galactic Storm was great. This not so much IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I’ve bought every comic so far and all I can say is this is less than so so. I can’t get into a war with salad. It seems to me that any of the three allies would wipe the floor with these plant people. Ready to drop the whole thing if it doesn’t have something major happen. Kree/Skrull war was great. Galactic Storm was great. This not so much IMO.
    I do agree they need to up the level of the plant people. I have trouble buying them as that much of a threat. Not disliking the story as a whole... but this is perhaps the least intimidatng event level threat we've had in awhile.

Astonishing Member

Wait evil plants that just aren't scary, even though the story tries to make them. Is this "The Happening"?

I don't really mind that the Cotati aren't particularly threatening. (Although that trick they pulled on the Kree-Skrull fleet to kill them all was pretty cool)

Just having some massive armies for various heroes to fight and show off against is event 101, they don't need to be huge threats, just bodies to throw against the protagonists. See literally every MCU movie.

The most interesting thing about this event is the politics of the Kree-Skrull alliance.
    Hulkling is a figure head, Kl'rt and Mur-G'nn are loyal-ish, "Tanalth" and Gla-Ree are willing to manipulate their puppet king for the good of the Empires.