Page 112 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1797

Thread: Empyre (2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    It doesn't really normalize imperialism, but it is an awful choice to have the HISTORICALLY peaceful race do a shift to complete genocide of all animal life because kree genocided them in the past and turning all the cotati into empty soldiers to be beaten up.
    It's fine if you have 1 or 2 people like magneto turning somewhat genocidal, but the whole species? What happened to their philosophies and ideas and politics?

It also sucks because it's like, if you take america destabilizing the middle east for oil through its imperialism, they use strawmen and demonize and dehumanize all muslims for that and use the examples of terrorists and extremists to paint the rest with a broad brush.
    This basically takes that idea and justifies it by making the whole race actually like that as far as we can tell, thus giving the kree/skrull imperialists justification to take out the cotati if they so choose.
    It certainly relates to your America/Middle East example if mentioning imperialism. In that regard, it doesn’t matter if the whole race of Cotati is demonised as genocidal, because like ME youth is pumped with anti-US propaganda, the Cotati are pumped with anti-Skree propaganda and don’t hear anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I told you not to count Tony and Reed when it was time to come through in the end. People are always knocking them, but they aren't who they are by luck.
    Yeah, big win.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I think Ewing was just juggling a really huge cast. The current rosters of the Avengers amd FF, the main players of the Alliance, Quoi, Swordsman, Mantis and Billy. Trying to add in significant scenes to Wanda or Vision would just be distracting from the main plot

Plus Wiccan's family drama has a habit of overshadowing Teddy, and this was his event
    True, but its also the case that Wanda is clearly really nothing more than a plot device to Marvel editors and writers, and that Vision is now portrayed as a generic sci-fi robot everytime we see him.
    Last edited by Relugus; 09-11-2020 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Shorten

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Yeah, big win.
    I’m glad you enjoyed the event. I did as well. Both the art on the writing were on point and they did a pretty good job of tying it up at the end.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Wanda (Scarlet Witch) should most certainly had more panel time, 15 years ago the Vision was like this invincible android (synthezoid) now he is just portrayed as a useless bucket of bolts anybody can tear apart.
    Last edited by PhoenixThanos; 09-11-2020 at 10:57 PM.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    Wanda (Scarlet Witch) should most certainly had more panel time, 15 years ago the Vision was liked this invincible android now he is just portrayed as a useless bucket of bolts anybody can tear apart.
    I honestly forgot Wiccan was Wandas kid. So yeah... that probably did justify at least being in a few more panels than she actually was. Her kid had a pretty big day.

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    True, but its also the case that Wanda is clearly really nothing more than a plot device to Marvel editors and writers, and that Vision is now portrayed as a generic sci-fi robot everytime we see him.
    Ewing has never shied away from using Wanda before, especially not her relationship to Billy.

It just wasn't necessary in an event that is not about Billy.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    Wanda (Scarlet Witch) should most certainly had more panel time, 15 years ago the Vision was like this invincible android (synthezoid) now he is just portrayed as a useless bucket of bolts anybody can tear apart.
    Wasn't Vision destroyed 16 years ago by a mind-controlled She-Hulk? In Avengers Disassembled? And he wasn't rebuilt for six years or so (while the Young Avengers had a new Vision, Jonas, instead). So 15 years ago, Vizh wasn't portrayed as anything, he was dead.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I just can’t get my head around that Imperialist Kree even thinking about an alliance with the Skrull. There couldn’t be some Kree compassion there for Galactus eating the Skrull home world, could there? I think of the Kree as this dangerous, conquering race, that stops at nothing to get what it wants. The Skrull I sympathise with because they lost their Empire, and were stuck with Secret Invasion. But the Kree have nothing to complain about. They still have that competitive drive that cheated in the Skrull competition to double cross both the Peaceful Skrull and Cotati. The Kree just don’t seem to be the type to cooperate.
    While the Skrulls are more sympathetic than the Kree on average, they're both imperialistic warrior races who enslave races and conquer world for their empires. Even the "progressive," I say that in a loosest fashion, Skrulls under Queen Veranke were still imperialist colonisers who believed conquering Earth was the right thing to do to "save humanity" because they view Earth as barbarians on the galactic scene. The fight between the Kree and Skrulls is one over territory not because they disagree with their methods. Personally, I'd consider the Super Skrull and Ronan the Accuser as peers. I'm curious how long this alliance will last, though.

I wonder what Ronan would've thought about the Alliance, and what he'd think about his successor (Lauri-Ell) being a girl.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wasn't Vision destroyed 16 years ago by a mind-controlled She-Hulk? In Avengers Disassembled? And he wasn't rebuilt for six years or so (while the Young Avengers had a new Vision, Jonas, instead). So 15 years ago, Vizh wasn't portrayed as anything, he was dead.
    Ffs 20 years ago then, how time flies
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Good summary Huntsman. My attention wandered a bit during that issue, and your clarifying it made it make more sense. Thanks.
    You're welcome. Considering Alchemax has to survive to 2099 to produce Miguel O'Hara, there'll most likely be a lot more opportunities for Alchemax to indulge its greed in ways that go on to endanger all life on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Considering Super Skrull murdered Teddys mother, I'd say desk duty is pretty darn generous.

I complained about this earlier in the threat, but I always thought it was weird how okay Teddy was with Super Skrull killing his foster mom. It took him like 10 years for him to remember what happened and actually give a damn. I guess he wasn't all that close to his mom or something.
    Desk duty isn't as generous as you think. Kl'rt the Super-Skrull is a born and bred warrior who dreams of dying gloriously in battle. For him to be stuck as a peacemaker and diplomat . . . to him, it's a fate worse than death.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    While the Skrulls are more sympathetic than the Kree on average, they're both imperialistic warrior races who enslave races and conquer world for their empires. Even the "progressive," I say that in a loosest fashion, Skrulls under Queen Veranke were still imperialist colonisers who believed conquering Earth was the right thing to do to "save humanity" because they view Earth as barbarians on the galactic scene. The fight between the Kree and Skrulls is one over territory not because they disagree with their methods. Personally, I'd consider the Super Skrull and Ronan the Accuser as peers. I'm curious how long this alliance will last, though.
    Good points, and yeah, the flashforwards in Empyre Aftermath: Avengers seem to be indicating the Kree-Skrull Alliance runs into a serious snag, to understate the matter.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Desk duty isn't as generous as you think. Kl'rt the Super-Skrull is a born and bred warrior who dreams of dying gloriously in battle. For him to be stuck as a peacemaker and diplomat . . . to him, it's a fate worse than death.
    On the other hand, woof, what a diplomat. "Sign the treaty. Or I'll burn your world to ash single-handedly. This is me being... diplomatic."

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Ewing has never shied away from using Wanda before, especially not her relationship to Billy.

It just wasn't necessary in an event that is not about Billy.
    I'd say it was necessary on his damn wedding issue. We had a little moment with the YA, with the NA(...and with fucking Steve and Tony, I'll seriously be always mad about that), Wanda should have gotten that too.

I would have gladly dropped the Steve and Tony scene for a brief moment with Billy and his 2 sets of parents. Or even a Jessica Jones scene she had more reason to want the YA to succeed than Stark and Rodgers ever did she should have been invited.
    Last edited by Journey; 09-12-2020 at 09:21 PM.