Page 100 of 120 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1797

Thread: Empyre (2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I mean he's the Skrull prince that makes perfect sense they were a dynasty with all royal members thought to be dead he made perfect sense to be leader its in his blood. The Kree however is where it gets dicey Mar-Vell was just in the army he had no real power, however the Kree have had no true leadership for a while and have been split down the middle as a people. When entering an alliance with the Skrulls Teddy having the blood of both Kree and Skrull and makes him the perfect leader and relatively unbiased so honestly it all makes perfect sense. Doesn't really strike me as any stranger than England's Monarchy. Oh and as far as being new and inexperienced does any new leader ever really know what their doing, I mean look at the current dude in charge he's an orange idiot.
    And bear in mind, Al Ewing is British, and the UK has Queen Elizabeth II as their head of state. So he should know how monarchy works. Teddy intended to only be a figurehead, which is what the Queen is in real life. The real person in charge is the Prime Minister, and I'm sure that there'd be politicians in charge, and they probably voted to make Dorrek the emperor. Teddy's really only in charge of the military.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And bear in mind, Al Ewing is British, and the UK has Queen Elizabeth II as their head of state. So he should know how monarchy works. Teddy intended to only be a figurehead, which is what the Queen is in real life. The real person in charge is the Prime Minister, and I'm sure that there'd be politicians in charge, and they probably voted to make Dorrek the emperor. Teddy's really only in charge of the military.
    Not to mention she is more then the Queen of England, she is the Queen of Canada, Jamaica, and others part of the Common Wealth Realm. So if they do go this route it could be a way to explain how the status quo of this Kree group and the Skrull's would be.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    I'm betting Excelsior is gonna be broken in that one shot/tie in for Cates's event. How would people feel about that? Myself pretty pissed off.
    I don’t think Teddy is gonna be a part of the book, it’s a random group of Kree & Skrulls going up against Knull

Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAvenger View Post
    I don’t think Teddy is gonna be a part of the book, it’s a random group of Kree & Skrulls going up against Knull
    It's probably too soon for Knull to face off with main characters like Teddy. If he's already taking out marvel heroes like him, then that event is basially starting right now. I think they need to hold off on him facing the heroes until closer to the actual event.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Well, that's monarchy for you. People being told they have to rule just because of which family they were born into. It doesn't make any sense in modern, democratic society, but fiction loves their monarchy tropes. Without it, Marvel wouldn't have iconic places like Atlantis, Wakanda or Attilan... so you just gotta go with it. Teddy becoming king because of a magic sword is no more ridiculous than someone being the new Black Panther just because they won in a fight and ingested a magical herb.
    The thing is that T'Challa, Shuri, Namor, Black Bolt and Medusa were all raised in the countries that they became monarchs for. They've spent their lives preparing to take over, learning the cultures and how to be leaders. T'Challa also received higher education in America and Europe.
    Teddy spent his childhood playing Pokemon and being a super hero geek. He is in no way prepared for this, he didn't even end up going to college (that we saw). Even as a superhero he was never the leader of any of the teams he was on. At best he knows how to be a spy, not a King.
    It just smacks of the idea that Teddy is inherently suited to this position because of his genes

Of course all of this can provide a lot of storytelling opportunities and show the inherent problems with absolute monarchy as a system of government. So there is a lot of potential here.

For example on the television show the Magicians the cast went and conquered an entire country on another world, installing themselves as monarchs and that was treated with a lot of nuance. They had no idea how to properly lead these people, they had to study the constitutions and histories on Earth to figure out what worked best, they asked for help from their teachers. They (usually) respected the advice from royal advisors and other people native to that land and when they didn't that led to real consequences and eventually they got deposed.

I think you're ignoring the fact that a lot of Kree/Skrull culture was built on colonizer bullshit. The Kree were pretty much the original colonizers. And the Skrulls made colonization their entire personality trait for many years. A culture created to oppress other people is not a culture worth maintaining. And not just even other people, a lot of Kree/Skrull culture is oppressive to their own people. Remember the surgery every Kree female is forced to have at a certain age to take away their pleasure? Or how Xavin was raised by a branch of Skrull royalty that forbid them from having any friends or contact with the outside world? I don't see why Teddy should let things like these happen just to ''respect'' the culture, if the culture doesn't respect the people. We JUST saw Kl'rt justifying the use of the Pyre to kill billions of people. The Kree/Skrull COULD use some basic concepts of human rights. I think there needs to be a balance of what they can keep, and what they need to change. It's an interesting plot point to explore in future stories with Teddy, and some of the political conflict he could face.
    That's a fair point, the Kree and the Skrull have some really messy histories that have been kinda glossed over in recent years, or somewhat excused. Remember when Carol was running Alpha Flight and decided to shape their space station like the Hala star, and that caused aliens to attack them because that star is a symbol of oppression? And Carol continued to use that symbol without a second thought?
    And I agree that trying to maintain a balance of what should be kept and what can be improved in their cultures can provide interesting future plot points. But that would require a book to actually explore those things, and Marvel doesn't have the best track record of actually following up. Even Ewing has a history of just leaving Teddy and Billy to other writers to pick up, but that just meant they spent years without anyone using them

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Not to mention she is more then the Queen of England, she is the Queen of Canada, Jamaica, and others part of the Common Wealth Realm. So if they do go this route it could be a way to explain how the status quo of this Kree group and the Skrull's would be.
    Just wanted to clarify...
    She is only Queen of England.
    She is not any of the Common Wealth Member States' Queen. She has absolutely no influence or ruling jurisdiction over us. We are independent nations onto ourselves and have been for quite some time.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Just wanted to clarify...
    She is only Queen of England.
    She is not any of the Common Wealth Member States' Queen. She has absolutely no influence or ruling jurisdiction over us. We are independent nations onto ourselves and have been for quite some time.
    It's a ceremonial title that has no bearing on sovereignty, but the titles are acknowledged.

https://www.royal.uk/commonwealth

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

I don't think Teddy is power obsessed enough like his grandma, nor dumb enough in general, to approach ruling the Skree Alliance in an absolute monarchy kinda way. Sure, he doesn't know the day to day minutiae of ruling, but he can learn; besides, the alliance is an unprecedented development, so everyone's still working out the kinks, not just him. And even to that point, what's to stop him from using that good ole' human experience to install more democratic features to the alliance, or even just saying, "hey, I got the job during a war, so now that it's done, how about we vote to either keep me or have someone else".

And with Teddy there, I'm positive that he'll at least try to get the Cotati off with a slap on the wrist at worst. Sure, he'll get pushback and a few hidden agendas thrown in, but he's not the dictator type, regardless of what mental gymnastics you apply. He'll give some fluffy peace talk, exile Quoi, and then work with the remaining Cotati to see how they can work their crap out (was it ever stated that ALL Cotati were part of this? I'm sure someone's gonna bring out some hidden sect of them that's down to talk)

And with the rights to rule thing... Teddy's story now is literally just Arthurian legend but gay and in space. He'd have to unpack millennium of religious beliefs within both species to get them to reject the star sword thing.

All in all, I guess I'm just trying to say that there's years worth of story here to write, politics to unpack, and nuance to inject, and hopefully those stories are done by someone that's not in this to be edgy and kill the new gay rulers or whatever, but want to have a cool new space age for Marvel. Marvel would be dumb to undo all this for the sake of some edgy writer who wants to "ramp it up". There's already too much doom and gloom in the world, and I don't need someone to come in and tear down a moderately happy ending for shock and headlines.

Astonishing Member

I should mention why I brought it up. Yes the nations look after their own things but the Queen does have important powers which I see Teddy having.
    1) Represents them in matters of a Head of State.
    2) Military is the true leader of all their militaries.

That's where I see Teddy in terms of leadership. The Kree and the Skrull's will do their own thing but when a Cosmic event happens boom their he is to direct them.

Can anyone tell me what Tony actually did? It would be greatly appreciated.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    He spoke a lot I guess were meant to believe he teleported Reeds suit into the sun stopping it somehow from blowing IDK it was just a lot of word vomit!

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    He spoke a lot I guess were meant to believe he teleported Reeds suit into the sun stopping it somehow from blowing IDK it was just a lot of word vomit!
    So he did nothing then. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    spoilers:
    He used the dead Celestial of Avengers Mountain to teleport in some Unstable Molecules inside the Sun.

The unstable molecules attacked and removed the Iron particles that the Pyre process had injected inside the Sun to force the explosion.

Remove the Iron, remove the threat. The sun is no longer going to blow up.

Carol, Johnny, Wiccan and the alliance only helped to slow it down, giving Tony time to enact his plan.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    spoilers:
    He used the dead Celestial of Avengers Mountain to teleport in some Unstable Molecules inside the Sun.

The unstable molecules attacked and removed the Iron particles that the Pyre process had injected inside the Sun to force the explosion.

Carol, Johnny, Wiccan and the alliance only helped to slow it down, giving Tony time to enact his plan.
    end of spoilers
    Thank you. I was wondering how he was going to do it. Can't wait to get my copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    Now that I think about it, back in the day Carol as Binary was actually able to stop a sun from going Nova on her own. But I guess she's still not QUITE as powerful as she was back then.