Page 101 of 120 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1797

Thread: Empyre (2020)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    spoilers:
    He used the dead Celestial of Avengers Mountain to teleport in some Unstable Molecules inside the Sun.

The unstable molecules attacked and removed the Iron particles that the Pyre process had injected inside the Sun to force the explosion.

Remove the Iron, remove the threat. The sun is no longer going to blow up.

Carol, Johnny, Wiccan and the alliance only helped to slow it down, giving Tony time to enact his plan.
    end of spoilers
    It's actually kinda cool, because a star goes nova when it runs out of elements with a lower atomic number than iron to burn. It starts with the easiest, hydrogen and helium, and keeps shifting down, sort of desperately burning whatever it's got to keep the fires lit. When it hits iron, it costs more energy to fuse it than it gets back from the process, and it all collapses catastrophically. Adding a bunch of iron to a star wouldn't cause it to stop fusing hydrogen and start eating the iron, AFAIK, so the science was squiffy there, but at least someone cracked a book here!

Even a kinda/sorta handwave to science on the way by in a comic like this is fun for me, as a science-fan, as well as a comics-fan.

B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It's actually kinda cool, because a star goes nova when it runs out of elements with a lower atomic number than iron to burn. It starts with the easiest, hydrogen and helium, and keeps shifting down, sort of desperately burning whatever it's got to keep the fires lit. When it hits iron, it costs more energy to fuse it than it gets back from the process, and it all collapses catastrophically. Adding a bunch of iron to a star wouldn't cause it to stop fusing hydrogen and start eating the iron, AFAIK, so the science was squiffy there, but at least someone cracked a book here!

Even a kinda/sorta handwave to science on the way by in a comic like this is fun for me, as a science-fan, as well as a comics-fan.
    I’m a hardcore science guy myself and you just taught me some stuff I didn’t know. So thanks for today’s lesson.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Incredible Member

Thanks for the explanation, it was hard to follow what Captain Marvel and Human Torch were doing if the setup was that Tony Stark is going to solve this issue. Were they just stabilizing the sun to buy time for Tony to solve it?

All in all, really enjoyed Empyre as an event story. Even though the beginning and ending of the series is predictable, there were twists each issue that I didn't expect. The previous events (War of Realms, Secret Empire, Civil War II) were all slogs to get through, and none of them really stuck the landing. Empyre, to me, felt pretty lean for an event story and moved along at a good pace. Only real tie-in I read was the X-men one, but really the only confusing thing was how Thor is suddenly free and channeling the power of Gaea.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, it was hard to follow what Captain Marvel and Human Torch were doing if the setup was that Tony Stark is going to solve this issue. Were they just stabilizing the sun to buy time for Tony to solve it?
    I think Johnny and Carol were trying to stop it (or die trying...), but just could quite get it done, but succeeded in stalling it long enough for Tony's solution to take effect (saving them from going to the 'die trying' step).

It was definitely rushed and could have benefited from a few more pages (that were instead eaten up by having to squeeze in stuff that would have been in Invasion of Wakanda or the Thor Empyre spin-off) to help flesh this stuff out and make the ending a bit more impactful.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    It doesn't really normalize imperialism, but it is an awful choice to have the HISTORICALLY peaceful race do a shift to complete genocide of all animal life because kree genocided them in the past and turning all the cotati into empty soldiers to be beaten up.
    It's fine if you have 1 or 2 people like magneto turning somewhat genocidal, but the whole species? What happened to their philosophies and ideas and politics?

It also sucks because it's like, if you take america destabilizing the middle east for oil through its imperialism, they use strawmen and demonize and dehumanize all muslims for that and use the examples of terrorists and extremists to paint the rest with a broad brush.
    This basically takes that idea and justifies it by making the whole race actually like that as far as we can tell, thus giving the kree/skrull imperialists justification to take out the cotati if they so choose.
    I agree that the optics might not be the best, BUT I think that's where Teddy comes in as the solution to the problem. Like I said, he is nothing like the previous Kree/Skrull rulers. The story made that very clear. So if there is any temptation for the Empire to abuse their power, I think Teddy is the person that is going to stop it. As long as he is in charge, the Kree/Skrull actually have a shot at redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    I'm betting Excelsior is gonna be broken in that one shot/tie in for Cates's event. How would people feel about that? Myself pretty pissed off.
    Do we even know if Teddy's going to be in this book? Nothing we heard about it so far seems to indicate he is.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Now that I think about it, back in the day Carol as Binary was actually able to stop a sun from going Nova on her own. But I guess she's still not QUITE as powerful as she was back then.
    It's comic book convenience, pretty much. I felt like that happened with Wiccan too during that moment. His whole ''I can make things happen but I can't make things happen'' explanation made no sense, but it was probably the best they could come up with to not make the characters solve the problem too quickly.

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Preview for Aftermath! Looks like a sweet time wrapping up lose ends to start with

https://www.cbr.com/empyre-aftermath...mpression=true

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    Preview for Aftermath! Looks like a sweet time wrapping up lose ends to start with

Again for an Old Bitch her Body is amazing!

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I'm glad we're picking things up with R'Klll. I had so many questions about her.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Now that I think about it, back in the day Carol as Binary was actually able to stop a sun from going Nova on her own. But I guess she's still not QUITE as powerful as she was back then.
    Does Carol still need to "power up" to Binary level first? That used to be the case. When she's at Binary level, yes, she theoretically has that capability still.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

You're absolutely right. Adding/removing the iron doesn't stop a supernovae. Removing the intense gravity that lead to the fusion of elements down to iron in the first place might. But if you did that, all you have left is a dead star with no fuel source and no gravity. The planets and other celestial bodies would inevitably go rogue and drift until another body with sufficient gravitational pull attracted them. Not that any of us would be around if that happened to the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Does Carol still need to "power up" to Binary level first? That used to be the case. When she's at Binary level, yes, she theoretically has that capability still.
    I honestly though they would use Human Torch to power her up to Binary levels to resolve this ... but I don't read the Captain Marvel books so I'm not sure if she can still do that. But it's just as well I guess ... Tony needed a big moment to sort of make up for his earlier mistakes at the start of this event.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I'm glad we're picking things up with R'Klll. I had so many questions about her.
    Yeah, that does explain some things, and R'Klll trying to play head games with Hulkling like she's Hannibal Lecter . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

You're absolutely right. Adding/removing the iron doesn't stop a supernovae. Removing the intense gravity that lead to the fusion of elements down to iron in the first place might. But if you did that, all you have left is a dead star with no fuel source and no gravity. The planets and other celestial bodies would inevitably go rogue and drift until another body with sufficient gravitational pull attracted them. Not that any of us would be around if that happened to the Earth.
    More science. I love it!
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

I thought Wiccan, Johnny and the Accuser hammer were going to allow her to tap into that again. She can still go binary, just needs to connect to a white hole.

BANNED

Ok, so great events. Not as impactful as the marketing goes, but it hits the right spot as the FF and Avengers event where the two teams played a huge role, and I don't need to say it, but Slott and Ewing really understand the voice of each character and where to voice them. But, my problem is really is it me or Valerio Schitti art is that good, but what the **** Marvel. R'Klll's body is too hot even among her peers and she is even older than Super Skrull. Man, they really sell that hot old evil bitch angle of her. And my really disappointment as Thor's fan is the explanation of mother Gaea's power. I want to read it, I want to buy it, I want to collect it because it's cool.

But overall it's really good and I hope the two of them can do such a story like this again.