Page 102 of 120 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1797

Thread: Empyre (2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Just wanted to clarify...
    She is only Queen of England.
    She is not any of the Common Wealth Member States' Queen. She has absolutely no influence or ruling jurisdiction over us. We are independent nations onto ourselves and have been for quite some time.
    Not true. She's still the head of state for many countries including the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia.

BANNED

teddy really didn't get to do much in his own event huh?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    teddy didn't get to do much in his event, huh?
    Well, I don't know if I say it right or not, but if what you mean by didn't get to do much is fighting, then yes, he is. But, if you mean by he didn't do anything in this event, then the answer is no. The answer is no, because he is the star of this event. This event is really can be summarized into one thing. Teddy is rising from a teen hero that just comfortable with his boyfriend into a king. Now, the king that this event means is not the king that took the army for the war, instead the one to inspire. So we didn't get his fighting scene, but we saw everything in his thought process. His mixed feeling with becoming a king and unfamiliarity with his new position in the book. His maturity into the king that we saw in the last issue.

And if you think that's not what his event is, then I don't know what it is. I mean the whole story is happening because of his mythos and even then he had one of the most appearances in the event (I said one of the because I believe Quoi had more appearance in this event than him and that's because Quoi is a more obscure character than him, so Ewing and Slott need to sell him to us and even then only Brevoort and Slott that remember Quoi from the interview that I heard).

BANNED

I'd say the event isn't event worthy.
    All the ohter storylines before this one are actually Avenger story arcs.
    You have Kree Skrull War, Celectial Madona, Young Avenger V2.
    The threat isn't really there.
    The villains are plain, plus there are really only Swordsman and Quoi.
    The powerset of Cotati is just boring.
    Why does the Cotati savior only have the power to control plants?
    Can't we have a good old Thanos vs Mar Vel sort of fight between the Space King Arthur and the Space Savior?
    I mean , honestly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    Can't we have a good old Thanos vs Mar Vel sort of fight between the Space King Arthur and the Space Savior?
    I mean , honestly.
    The reason why the event felt less impactful because there are fewer tie ins to explain the overall damage aside from X-Men, Avengers, and FF ties in. But even from that, it's already shown that it's quite destructive a worthy to be called FF and Avengers event. I think that the Swordsman and Quoi are very engaging villains because they maybe not as scary as Thanos, Ultron, or Cancerverse. But, they are really personal to Avengers and the point out of their villainous is also interesting and that is the self-loathing man wanted to become bigger than what he could and a boy who was intoxicated by that vision. It's some sort of villain that you will see everywhere and the space royalty kind of things story. So I think it's quite alright to call it a space arthurian style story.

For the powerset, they might be boring and some of the crazy horror thing felt out of place because of Valerio Schiti's bright art, but even then it's still a quite good powerset to me. Very old school comic feels like and even then you don't have to worry if you wanted a story like Thanos because in next few months we will have the King in Black.

I mean , honestly.
    Exactly all this

teddy really didn't get to do much in his own event huh?
    I wouldn't say he didn't do much ... in a lot of ways it was his story. But I will say he ended up doing less than I thought he would.

I thought the ending part Tchalla got with the sword would be Teddys. This isn't a complaint mind you ... just my expectation.

I mean , honestly.
    I won't say this wasn't an event. It did enough to justify it.

But I will say this could have worked as just an Avengers story for the most part. So in hindsight I think maybe more could have been done to give it a bigger feel.

The cancelled tie ins probably hurt it a little. And the end, though a bit rushed, was still fun. Overall it still worked. I think this event was somewhat unique in that IMO at least, it finished strong. Many sort of start off with massive hype and end up feeling anti-climactic, but I thought the finish to this was fun.
    Last edited by XPac; 09-04-2020 at 06:20 AM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I thought Wiccan, Johnny and the Accuser hammer were going to allow her to tap into that again. She can still go binary, just needs to connect to a white hole.
    I didn't read the issue, but Carol could have just dove into the heart of a sun and started absorbing energy. That would have bumped her up to Binary levels. Kind of like giving a car battery a jump. It takes quite a bit of energy, but Blue Marvel did it without unleashing anywhere near the average power output of a star to do it. Carol doesn't need as much energy to reach Binary level as we'd like to think. At least she didn't use to need that much. But maybe that changed?

Either way, all's well that ends well. Carol wouldn't be the first character that didn't get the big day saving moment. She's stolen a few herself from others.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Time to get down to brass tacks. On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being "Eww, very poor" and 10 being "OMG-TOTALLY-PHENOMENAL", how would you rate Empyre as a saga/event?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Time to get down to brass tacks. On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being "Eww, very poor" and 10 being "OMG-TOTALLY-PHENOMENAL", how would you rate Empyre as a saga/event?
    Between 7-8. It was a good event, but it suffered because of the cancellation of some needed tie-ins.

I'll give it a 7.5.

I do believe if we have gotten the tie-ins, I would have elevated it to at least an 8.

I thought the cancelled tie-ins left obvious holes in the story. I thought the villains were somewhat on the weak side as I never felt they were all that threatening. But all that aside, I still enjoyed it. And the event IMO finished strong... which is somewhat of a rare thing for a company wide event.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Between 7-8. It was a good event, but it suffered because of the cancellation of some needed tie-ins.
    I agree with this.

I didn't read the issue, but Carol could have just dove into the heart of a sun and started absorbing energy. That would have bumped her up to Binary levels. Kind of like giving a car battery a jump. It takes quite a bit of energy, but Blue Marvel did it without unleashing anywhere near the average power output of a star to do it. Carol doesn't need as much energy to reach Binary level as we'd like to think. At least she didn't use to need that much. But maybe that changed?

Either way, all's well that ends well. Carol wouldn't be the first character that didn't get the big day saving moment. She's stolen a few herself from others.
    Carol might be victim to the notion in team books where things try to be a group effort. Wiccan, Stark, and Johnny all ended up mattering in the story because of how it was handled. I can sort of live with that I guess. That's what you need for those "Avengers Assemble" moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    I agree with this.
    Yeah, The Union and Squadron Supreme ones don't seem important since neither factored into the main story at all. But the Thor and Invasion of Wakanda tie-ins were definitely missed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman