Page 3 of 120 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Empyre (2020)

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    the empyreans turn out to be super nice
    the whole event is just them exchanging culture and tech with earth
    Their gift is the end of all events.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Theory about Empyre based on what happened in Incoming. Quote from the Young Avengers thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    spoilers:
    So after re-reading I'm pretty sure that Bel-Dann and Raksor's shared mission on Earth was to unite the Kree and the Skrull under Teddy's rule.
    Raksor left two messages to Bel-Dann before knowing he was dead.
    One voicemail: "Go home General. And if we've done our job right... it will be our home."
    And the other was written in that code: "ALL HAIL THE KING"

Bel-Dann and Raksor were both killed by plants (Bel-Dann in a locked room with a potted plant and Raksor when the apple he'd been eating suddenly sprouted into a full tree while inside of him), so the general assumption around the internet is that the message Bel-Dann left to Raksor: "Beware the trees" is in reference to the Cotati race.

The Cotati are originally from Hala, same as the Kree, but they evolved from plants.
    They were the first victims of the Kree-Skrull War, the Kree nearly wiped out the entire race as a show of superiority. But their offspring survived as seedlings and pretended to be regular plants for millenia, developing telepathic abilities.
    With the help of the Kree pacifists (the Priest of Pama) the Cotati left Hala and started planting themselves on planets across the galaxy, including Earth.

Interestingly enough there's a Cotati prophecy similar to Teddy's. From the Marvel wikia:
    "A prophecy read that one day the perfect human female, who would be the Celestial Madonna, would have a union with the perfect male plant of the Cotati race, and from their union would spring the perfect child, who would be the Celestial Messiah; a being that destined to change the universe."
    The Celestial Madonna and Messiah being Mantis (from the Guardians of the Galaxy) and her son Quoi (short of Sequoia)

I'm pretty sure all of this is going to be relevant because the March solicits show that they are reprinting issues about Mantis, her wedding to the Cotati, and Quoi under the True Believers line to give background for the Empyre event.

My guess is Ewing is using the existence of these two prophecies, for two different galactic saviours, to create a new conflict between the Kree-Skrull Alliance and the Cotati.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Theory about Empyre based on what happened in Incoming. Quote from the Young Avengers thread.
    Nice analysis. Makes perfect sense. From Marvel's part it was a really fun gesture to include a code-breaking "mini game" for readers to play and be part of the story. I wish the second code would've been more revealing but it was fun nonetheless.
    Last edited by Jack_Star; 12-28-2019 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote

Since Slott and Ewing wrote the major parts of Incoming, there are big chances they are the two writers involved in Empyre.

That's an interesting combo. They are both Marvel fanboys and have good knowledge of continuity. The big difference is that Slott is enamoured with old school Marvel and iconic characters (too much for my taste) while Ewing likes to push obscure and/or new characters and to move forward from the holy status quo. Can't wait to see how they balance each other.
    Maybe Ewing can convince Slott to use the cosmic elements he created for the never-to-come Reckoning War (the Tactigon, the Grasshopper armor, Southpaw and Gauntlet's gauntlets)
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Since Slott and Ewing wrote the major parts of Incoming, there are big chances they are the two writers involved in Empyre.

That's an interesting combo. They are both Marvel fanboys and have good knowledge of continuity. The big difference is that Slott is enamoured with old school Marvel and iconic characters (too much for my taste) while Ewing likes to push obscure and/or new characters and to move forward from the holy status quo. Can't wait to see how they balance each other.
    Maybe Ewing can convince Slott to use the cosmic elements he created for the never-to-come Reckoning War (the Tactigon, the Grasshopper armor, Southpaw and Gauntlet's gauntlets)
    That would be cool to see. The Grasshopper armor could even be tweaked as a homage to the original Kamen Rider, who was based on a grasshopper, but that's just me talking as a toku fan.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Good to see someone saying Kamen Rider and MEANING Kamen Rider... everyone seems to be calling Masked RAIDER that.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Good to see someone saying Kamen Rider and MEANING Kamen Rider... everyone seems to be calling Masked RAIDER that.
    I blame the autocorrect. Has to be.

I've just set up a page on TV Tropes.
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/Empyre

Oh, cool. You're on there, too?

BANNED

Something tells me that there will be a connection between Empyre and Outlaw. Especially when you consider who’s the true opponent of the upcoming event is related back to the Young Avengers. So something might cause more trouble for the Youthful heroes of Marvel in Outlaw and it will be Empyre.

Niffleheim

I would love it if it had something to do with Vampires.

BANNED

You could have added a trope denoting mandatory murder mystery for characters to solve in a crossover.

That'd be Incoming, not Empyre.

BANNED

That'd be Incoming, not Empyre.
    Oh yeah! Got those two mixed up though you could argue that this one shot should be part of the event as a prologue like the 80 page countdown to infinite crisis.
    Last edited by Desmark; 12-29-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Incidentally, I looked up Murder Mystery and it brings up a load of links related to Australian period detective show Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. What's the trope called, then?