Page 93 of 120 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1797

Thread: Empyre (2020)

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I'm surprised that more Black Panther writers haven't explored the idea of other state-sponsored African heroes. Africa's easily the most under-represented continent (relative to it's size and number of appearances) when it comes to this concept. I think a Captain Nigeria would be a great frenemy for T'Challa lol.
    We know Wakanda has the Wakandan School for Alternate studies, which is basically a Wakandan equivalent of a super hero school. I suppose they could easily expand it to having enrollment from other nations in Africa. I think it's all to easy for marvel to sometimes forget there's more to Africa than just Wakanda, just like there's more to the US than New York.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I'm surprised that more Black Panther writers haven't explored the idea of other state-sponsored African heroes. Africa's easily the most under-represented continent (relative to it's size and number of appearances) when it comes to this concept. I think a Captain Nigeria would be a great frenemy for T'Challa lol.
    There’s so much historic, and mythological material of Africa to draw from, it’s a shame other writers, in general, haven’t even attempted to scratch the surface. It’s the birthplace of civilization, but in Marvel, the only places in Africa that exist are Egypt, Wakanda, and Genosha.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    There’s so much historic, and mythological material of Africa to draw from, it’s a shame other writers, in general, haven’t even attempted to scratch the surface. It’s the birthplace of civilization, but in Marvel, the only places in Africa that exist are Egypt, Wakanda, and Genosha.
    Oh yeah, characters based on orisha like Chango or Ogun, or cryptids like Mokole-Mbembe or the Mngwa, or mythical races, or even Marvel specific stuff like the Set-worshipping serpent folk having a presence and causing trouble in sub-Saharan Africa, could be a thing.

Even the Egyptian stuff is barely touched upon. How about that Earth Force trio of white schmucks, empowered by ancient Egyptian gods, for... reasons, despite living in, IIRC, *Washington state.* Yeah, that's what I think of when I think of Geb, Shu and Tefnut. A bunch of Seattle-ites. :/

In my fanbrain, there's a series of standalone's set in WW2, each of the annual-sized books covering one year of the war, in one specific theatre of the war. One is in Nanking, and deals with a pre-Dr. Strange-tutoring Ancient One and a pre-Danny Rand Iron Fist (and some other K'un Lun fighters) stopping the Hand sorcerers and mecha-samurai robots helping the Japanese to overrun that Chinese city. One is in Europe, and the parents of Victor von Doom, and a motley collection of Italian, Greek, etc. heroes are stopping Thule occultists from tapping into the power of Chthon slumbering in Mt. Wundagore. (von Doom's wife is forced to call upon dark forces to stop them from awakening him, and damns herself in the process...) And the third is set in northern Africa, and deal with some African heroes, working alongside some Wakandans (who are undercover and not admitting that they exist to the others, lying about whatever country far to the south they come from), including T'Challa's mother (one of the Dorje Mila accompanying them, counting on the fact that the Nazis attempting to plunder the relics of ancient Egypt for the Fuhrer's occult obsessions are already underestimating the threat that could be posed by black *men,* and will be utterly unprepared for the world of hurt one of these black *women* can dish out...). The Invaders? Sir Not Appearing in These Books. They have other stuff to do.

So, so much stuff that could be explored.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-25-2020 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    spoilers:
    Also I need to say this cause it's festering Megan, Morgan, MurGoon, whatever the **** her name is, is proving to be a hating flop she failed me, hoe done turned fake on my boys, her services will no longer be required in the grand scheme of the Empyre. Now that co Emperor Billy is around she can go back to whatever dead desolate planet her and her gang of genetic mistakes were occupying
    end of spoilers
    It was a bit late to edit your post to add spoiler tags don't you think? You'd already been quoted.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It was a bit late to edit your post to add spoiler tags don't you think? You'd already been quoted.
    Well I meant to spoil it anyway so I just went back and changed it *shrugs* does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Don’t count Tony and Reed out. That’s two of the biggest brains in the 616. Also I enjoyed issue 5 as well. To be honest I have enjoyed every issue of Empyre. I think it’s been a fun read and I am really looking forward to issue 6 to see how it all ends.
    I can’t imagine Tony and Reed having the time to come up with a win.

And I’m going to enjoy reading the whole thing once it’s complete. Something Unexpected always comes along to end these events. It’s like someone rolls a dice and one of 8 options is chosen. I always get surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If Dr. Strange hasn't been introduced in the story yet, then I don't think we can count on him to appear in the last issue to save the day. I assume Reed and Tony have some sort of trick up their sleeve to deal with at least ONE of the problems.

As far as the tree people go... I think the nicest message would be to somehow build a bridge and allow them all to at least try and live peacefully together. But if either side just decided to flat out burn the Cotati down where they stand, they would be completely justified at this point. They were attemping to murder all non plant life in the universe (a stupid move since a lot of plant life to one degree or another is dependent on other animals to operate in an ecosystem), so they get what they get. They may get mercy because that's what super heroes do... but they don't necessarily deserve it.

Either way Quoi won't die. They have a new viable character, so killing him would be a waste.
    I wish you were right, and it’s the detective scenario, and Colombo (Reed/Tony) steps up and outlines why Quoi can’t do it.

But I do wish the Cotati get their justice and find their place back among the alien races. It’s just that they had bad, vindictive, leadership, and it’s not like the Skrull and Kree didn’t have the same.

You could include the Earth people with the Skrull and Kree here. I’d like there to be a comment on the races about first instincts being to kill anything strange. Here is the one thing I like about Reed Richards, in that despite coming from a race of savage, bloody-minded, humans, Reed stands out as that explorer who sees all races as redeemable. I’d like to see Reed’s interpretation come out of this. After all, it was Reed that defended Galactus before all the alien races, once.
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-25-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I can’t imagine Tony and Reed having the time to come up with a win.

And I’m going to enjoy reading the whole thing once it’s complete. Something Unexpected always comes along to end these events. It’s like someone rolls a dice and one of 8 options is chosen. I always get surprised.
    Reed and Tony might not have time to stop both problems... but then again they might not need to.

Captain Marvel, Wiccan, Hulkling, Torch and Sue are probably might be able to handle the exploding sun. And T'Challa (assuming he's alive, which I think we all are) might be in the perfect postion to stop the Cotati.

Plus Thor is out there on his quest for whatever... so he might show up just in a knick of time to help out with something.

There's a lot of moving parts here, and Reed and Tony are sort of the X factor as far as where or how they plug into things. But they're not the only option.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I wish you were right, and it’s the detective scenario, and Colombo (Reed/Tony) steps up and outlines why Quoi can’t do it.

But I do wish the Cotati get their justice and find their place back among the alien races. It’s just that they had bad, vindictive, leadership, and it’s not like the Skrull and Kree didn’t have the same.

You could include the Earth people with the Skrull and Kree here. I’d like there to be a comment on the races about first instincts being to kill anything strange. Here is the one thing I like about Reed Richards, in that despite coming from a race of savage, bloody-minded, humans, Reed stands out as that explorer who sees all races as redeemable. I’d like to see Reed’s interpretation come out of this. After all, it was Reed that defended Galactus before all the alien races, once.
    That would be nice. And even the Cotati have reasons, it turns out. Have you checked Lords of Empyre: Swordsman? Apparently . . .

spoilers:
    It's Alchemax being a bunch of greedy f***wits that couldn't wait 30 years for Quoi's branch to grow and decided to raid and destroy the Cotati grove Swordsman was hibernating in that sparked Quoi's and Swordsman's desire for revenge against all non-plant life.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

So ultimately, spoilers:
    It's Liz Allan's fault? She's the owner of Alchemax.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

It boggles my mind why #6 isn't coming until september

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    one guy has to draw everything
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    If you think about it, this event is actually coming out pretty fast.

Past events would almost take half a year to fully finish.

I question how Ewing plans to bring this all together, Teddy and Quoi have yet to see one another let alone settle a war, Stark and Richards haven't done anything of value this entire event except **** up on Tony's part and get people killed, so I don't want either of them shoved down our throats in the last issue, She Hulk has to come back to life, Panther is in no way dead, the sun is about to explode and I want epic page time for Billy, Carol and Johnny to do their thing, Teddy still doesn't realize Grams is alive, that is a lot of plot to cover in 10 minutes aka 36 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I question how Ewing plans to bring this all together, Teddy and Quoi have yet to see one another let alone settle a war, Stark and Richards haven't done anything of value this entire event except **** up on Tony's part and get people killed, so I don't want either of them shoved down our throats in the last issue, She Hulk has to come back to life, Panther is in no way dead, the sun is about to explode and I want epic page time for Billy, Carol and Johnny to do their thing, Teddy still doesn't realize Grams is alive, that is a lot of plot to cover in 10 minutes aka 36 pages.
    They probably need an epilogue book of some sort for this event, because they do have a lot to squeeze into one final issue. Obviously we have tie ins too, but I think this event is too relient on them to tell the story. The main book really seems to be missing a lot.