Astonishing Member

Default Amazing Mary Jane #3

It surprises me nobody has mentioned this issue yet.

The ending, with the Spider-Man's actor abandoning, called a lot my intention. Since they have no Spider-Man for the film, I think I know where the movie is going to turn; especially if we consider the cover of Issue #5. Mary Jane becoming Spider-Man/Woman in a movie, and I still have the feeling that her spider-powers from Spider Island could return.

Funny, you know? This is getting a little too close to Peter's own story. Peter got his powers by an accident, tried to get some profit with them, tragedy strikes and he becomes a superhero. If MJ's spider-powers suddenly reappear, just in time to take Spider-Man's role in this movie, next we will just have to start the countdown for tragedy.

This is my favorie issue of the series as far as plot and getting some action in the mix, however, the changing of artist bothered me a bit. Not a fan of the back and forth, it's a bit jaring. Hopefully this isn't the trend going foward. If they have to switch artists, I'd rather it be for the whole issue.

BANNED

I really feel Leah Williams's series is pretty neat and nifty.

Like notice how she's telling a story without thought captions and thought bubbles. So you basically have to interpret the characters actions and thoughts yourself.

And if you keep that in mind, in this issue especially, it's quite obvious that MJ is playing Mysterio and subtly, and not-so-subtly taking over the production. Like that bit where she cuts out the romantic scene between her and Mysterio, and that killer line, "You are making a serious biopic of Mysterio. Not a fantasy movie."

She's also gone from female lead to co-producer.

And the bit where the production is in a cave and shot there reminds me of ASM#14 where Spider-Man comes to Hollywood fights the Green Goblin in California, all for the sake of a movie deal, and they end up fighting in a cave.

I think it says something about how good the writing is that I can ignore that Mysterio nearly drove Matt to kill a baby or that Screwball and Arcade murdered a bunch of civilians in the last Elektra series.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I really feel Leah Williams's series is pretty neat and nifty.

Like notice how she's telling a story without thought captions and thought bubbles. So you basically have to interpret the characters actions and thoughts yourself.

And if you keep that in mind, in this issue especially, it's quite obvious that MJ is playing Mysterio and subtly, and not-so-subtly taking over the production. Like that bit where she cuts out the romantic scene between her and Mysterio, and that killer line, "You are making a serious biopic of Mysterio. Not a fantasy movie."

She's also gone from female lead to co-producer.

And the bit where the production is in a cave and shot there reminds me of ASM#14 where Spider-Man comes to Hollywood fights the Green Goblin in California, all for the sake of a movie deal, and they end up fighting in a cave.
    There's also the question of how much Mysterio actually is secretly in control of it all, considering the movie is all part of a much larger scheme AND he knows that MJ is Spider-Man's girlfriend.

There is a weird dissonance between ASM and AMJ, as in here it makes it feel like Mysterio's completely sincere about the biopic when we know that's not exactly the case, though I do think that's probably the intention. Keep up the illusion that Mysterio's trying to go good, and very possibly having MJ take full control of the production may be part of that illusion as well.

does Mary Jane still own that pair of bracelets that are actually webshooters?

Anime girl Screwball looks way more interesting then normal Screwball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    There is a weird dissonance between ASM and AMJ, as in here it makes it feel like Mysterio's completely sincere about the biopic when we know that's not exactly the case, though I do think that's probably the intention. Keep up the illusion that Mysterio's trying to go good, and very possibly having MJ take full control of the production may be part of that illusion as well.
    I wonder if that's either to lull MJ into a false sense of security or to put her in such a big enough position that there will be more of a blowback against her if the truth about the movie's production is ever revealed, because she might be left as the one who looks to have been really in charge of things instead of Mysterio.

I feel like it's possible for Mysterio to genuinely be honest about wanting to make this movie while it's still being part of Kindred's wider scheme. Part of why Mysterio was trying to get out of his deal with Kindred (which we can now say includes running to another universe to try and get away) is because apparently once Kindred gets what he wants, he's going to kill Quentin. Kindred gave him the opportunity to make the movie as an act of largesse, which also had the benefit of stopping Peter from re-proposing. In AMJ #1, Quentin admits that he wants to tell his story because he doesn't have much time left to do it.

So he is actually wanting to make the movie without any specific malice towards MJ, it's just a case where what he genuinely wants to do (make a magnum opus and tell his own story) aligns with Kindred's current goals (keep MJ away from Peter).

I don't think that MJ's actively scheming to take over the production, nor is Mysterio setting her up for a fall by making her a producer, it's just that she's taken a proactive role to help the movie get made, including resolving problems that Quentin himself caused, and he's given her the title to recognise that she's been working uncredited in that capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think it says something about how good the writing is that I can ignore that Mysterio nearly drove Matt to kill a baby or that Screwball and Arcade murdered a bunch of civilians in the last Elektra series.
    I mean, unlike those of us in the real world, MJ hasn't read those comics, so there's no reason for her to know about those specific incidents. I mean, on some level that sort of soft amnesia is part and parcel of comics, otherwise you get the problem of the Joker having a bodycount higher than some wars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I think so? I mean, at least she ad an actual pair in Superior, but that might have been Slott misremembering that story where she got them (or it's a soft retcon, since of course that story had them as anniversary gifts from Peter when they were still married).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I don't think so. Those were an anniversary's gift, but the marriage is still erased from continuity (Curses!), so I suppose everything related to it too. Besides, Peter gave them to MJ because he adquired his own organic webshooters after "The Other" arc. That was erased from continuity too.

By the way, why has nobody commented about my theory in the first post? About MJ becoming the movie's "Spider-Man" after the actor quit and the possibility of her old spider-powers reawakening somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I don't think so. Those were an anniversary's gift, but the marriage is still erased from continuity (Curses!), so I suppose everything related to it too. Besides, Peter gave them to MJ because he adquired his own organic webshooters after "The Other" arc. That was erased from continuity too.

By the way, why has nobody commented about my theory in the first post? About MJ becoming the movie's "Spider-Man" after the actor quit and the possibility of her old spider-powers reawakening somehow?
    I dont think those things are erased from continuity. Marvels stance is everything that happened during the marriage still happened except the wedding and potentially the pregnancy. So the gift would probably have been given as a anniversary gift of their relationship as opposed to marriage, and the other/organic webshooter plot would have happened as well.

BANNED

Slott showed in Superior Spider-Man that she still had those webshooters. So yeah she has them but will it come into the picture is up to Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post

I'll be honest, the thing with her getting her Spider-Powers back seems like a stretch. I could see her playing Spidey, though. I mean, she's done it before (ASM Annual #19, right?). Presumably Charlie wasn't going to actually stick to walls before he quit, so she wouldn't need to either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I dont think those things are erased from continuity. Marvels stance is everything that happened during the marriage still happened except the wedding and potentially the pregnancy. So the gift would probably have been given as a anniversary gift of their relationship as opposed to marriage, and the other/organic webshooter plot would have happened as well.
    The anniversary of MJ getting left at the altar probably wouldn't have quite the same positive emotional resonance as the day they actually got married.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    I'll be honest, the thing with her getting her Spider-Powers back seems like a stretch. I could see her playing Spidey, though. I mean, she's done it before (ASM Annual #19, right?). Presumably Charlie wasn't going to actually stick to walls before he quit, so she wouldn't need to either.
    Actually, that was just the cover of ASM Annual #19. In the actual story, she just followed the game of the just introduced Alystair Smythe to save herself and her aunt from the quite idiot Alystair. And, really? They were going to make a movie with Spider-Man where he doesn't stick to the walls? What kind of Spider-Man's movie is that? But anyway, it wouldn't be such a stretch if MJ's powers return. Check Marvel's Spider-Man:

During the Spider-Island's saga, Anya created an untexted cure for the Spider-Virus that allowed her to keep her powers and not becoming a werespider. And after sometime, a magic stone inadvertently reactivated the spider-powers of Gwen. With such events, I wouldn't find so hard to believe that MJ's powers weren't removed in the comic, just "put on stasis". After all, Anya Corazon in the comics kept her powers too after being injected with the cure. MJ's role in the comics' Spider-Island was being the very last human to developing powers, and still quite away from becoming a werespider. She would have eventually mutated, so Peter injected her with the cure. With this, who says the cure couldn't have an unexpected effect on MJ and establish a "symbiotic relationship" in MJ's body?

Just read issues #1-3 and I don’t get how MJ can work with a known criminal and murderer like Mysterio? And why is Peter okay with this? This series is very odd.

- Jason G. Carr

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JGC View Post
    Just read issues #1-3 and I don’t get how MJ can work with a known criminal and murderer like Mysterio? And why is Peter okay with this? This series is very odd.
    Not "odder" than Spider-Man's life itself. I mean, he had his body and life stolen by Doc Ock, and even after taking them back, he let him go. A long time ago, Venom's only goal was to kill Spider-Man, now he and Peter have better things to do that playing tag between them. Things change as time pass.