Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Betsy expressed several times her satisfaction with having a "warrior body" that reflected her inner self post body swap and also opted to stay in Kwannon's body when she had the opportunity to go back to hers a couple time. Psylocke has every right to be mad a t the bitch and ppl complaining about Psylocke "stealing" anything from Braddock are deliciously tone deaf no matter their ethnicity. And forced diversity is a joke term used by intolerant nerds.
    Had she'd known that Kwannon is still in that body, she'll gladly jump into another construct of her original body.
    But people forgetting.. This "always been in her body" is a RETCON.

Not to mention, the offer was given by villains (Jamie, Cassandra and Madelyne). And we all know what devil lies inside Betsy's original body brought back by Madelyne.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    Shout it from the mountaintops!

Kwannon has had a right to be resentful from the beginning. That doesn’t mean Betsy wasn’t also a victim, but I think it’s reasonable to harbor resentment for someone who lived years of life in your body.

Marvel was making money off the Psylocke brand anyway. This move allows them to do it in a way that is less alienating and problematic and more inclusive. It was a great business decision.
    Then Kwannon should direct her anger towards people responsible for this. Hand/Mojo/Spiral. Both she and Betsy were victims.

The Psylocke brand is Betsy's from the get-go. The pink costumed non ninja Betsy Braddock is already Psylocke
    Kwannon was a mistake and retcon created by Nicieza (not reading the body shoppe issue in UXM).

The costume wasn't Kwannon's. We've seen Kwannon's costume pre body shoppe and it's different from Psylocke's
    The purple psy knife and weaponry wasn't Kwannon's. She was an empath.
    The butterfly signature wasn't Kwannon's. It was Betsy's from the get go.

The Psylocke brand, be it the non ninja or the ninja one is Betsy's.

Kwannon is an asian ninja woman with some sort of telepathic power. She could chose another identity, costume, given a unique powerset, etc. But we all know Marvel dumped the Psylocke brand to her as a business decision. It might be a great decision, but her existence has been problematic from the beginning.
    Sure they want to continue the Psylocke brand, but at least give the girl a new costume, hair do, but keep the psy knife and telepathy.

I know some Betsy fans are furious & wanted her to remain has Psylocke in either body & still be the psychic ninja character. Yes, I think we all get Marvel is trying to sell Kwannon by making her take the codename, the Hand uniform, power sig etc. Unfortunately the bottom line is marketability & Marvel needs to sell merchandise beyond the comic. Betsy fans who wanted her back in her body got what they wanted but at a price.

Was the turning of Kwannon into a legacy character awkwardly handled? Yes. I think what worked for Kamalah becoming Ms.Marvel & Miles Spider-Man where the cosmetic differences. Kamalah's first suit was a nice nod to the Classic Ms.Marvel costume. Same for Miles, it was different but had nods to what you'd expect base wise of a Spiderman suit. Also their powers, Kamalah's being completely different from Carol & Miles having a few unique ones to set him from Peter.

If Marvel wanted to put her in the hand suit again it could've easily been modernized. Betsy hadn't worn the thongkini since the middle or Remenders' run. Even if they wanted to reuse the psi-knife they could've given it a different energy color.

I'm happy with her becoming Captain Britain, it feels like a long time coming for the character who kinda floundered for years after no one knew what to with her after the sexy ninja theme got dull. Remenders' X-Force, for good or bad, was probably the best writing she had in years. In case of Kwannon, I want the character to succeed, even if it's not in this book. However Marvels kinda messed up what makes a good legacy character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    Had she'd known that Kwannon is still in that body, she'll gladly jump into another construct of her original body.

Not to mention, the offer was given by villains (Jamie, Cassandra and Madelyne). And we all know what devil lies inside Betsy's original body brought back by Madelyne.

Then Kwannon should direct her anger towards people responsible for this. Hand/Mojo/Spiral. Both she and Betsy were victims.

The Psylocke brand is Betsy's from the get-go. The pink costumed non ninja Betsy Braddock is already Psylocke
    Kwannon was a mistake and retcon created by Nicieza (not reading the body shoppe issue in UXM).

The costume wasn't Kwannon's. We've seen Kwannon's costume pre body shoppe and it's different from Psylocke's

Kwannon is an asian ninja woman with some sort of telepathic power. She could chose another identity, costume, given a unique powerset, etc. But we all know Marvel dumped the Psylocke brand to her as a business decision. It might be a great decision, but her existence has been problematic from the beginning.
    Sure they want to continue the Psylocke brand, but at least give the girl a new costume, hair do, but keep the psy knife and telepathy.
    Human emotions generally don’t work that way, and I think it would be whack as **** if Kwannon had no ill-will toward Betsy. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to see them working together and moving past it. I do want to see it right there on the page. Skipping right to the reconciliation would be a disservice to the characters and the fans (even though some of you want Betsy to be portrayed as spotless in this situation).

Also, Psylocke as a brand has grown from being Betsy to being the recognizable Japanese ninja lady with her pink knife. That’s no longer Betsy, so she is no longer on brand. Kwannon is on brand. That isn’t narratively satisfying but it is business. That said, I’m looking forward to a bright future for Betsy and for Psylocke.
    Last edited by The Quiet Councilor; 12-17-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    Human emotions generally don’t work that way, and I think it would be whack as **** if Kwannon had no ill-will toward Betsy. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to see them working together and moving past it. I do want to see it right there on the page. Skipping right to the reconciliation would be a disservice to the characters and the fans (even though some of you want Betsy to be portrayed as spotless in this situation).

Also, Psylocke as a brand has grown from being Betsy to being the recognizable Japanese ninja lady with her pink knife. That’s no longer Betsy, so she is no longer on brand. Kwannon is on brand. That isn’t narratively satisfying but it is business. That said, I’m looking forward to a bright future for Betsy and for Psylocke.

What?! None of that seemed to matter for months following her return to her original body she was literally running around like this:

I know she's doing the Captain Britain thing, but if they wanted it to work it easily could have. Especially in regards to her psychic butterfly that was never a feature of the bodyswap as well as her namesake, I'm still confused why people believe those are attributes of Kwannon's body?
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 12-17-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    What?! None of that seemed to matter for months following her return to her original body she was literally running around like this:

I know she's doing the Captain Britain thing, but if they wanted it to work it easily could have. Especially in regards to her psychic butterfly that was never a feature of the bodyswap as well as her namesake, I'm still confused why people believe those are attributes of Kwannon's body?
    This look was bomb imo. Add a little cape/hood and I'd be totally down for it coming back.

I hate this whole butterfly thing being given to Kwannon btw.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post

I don’t think anyone here believes these are attributes of Kwannon’s body, but they are attributes strongly associated with her body. That’s why it makes business sense. Yes, they could’ve carried on with the fun design you posted but they didn’t. They decided to give the name Psylocke to the character who is more aesthetically on brand. I think it’s a brilliant way for them to have their cake and eat it too. We get two characters out of the bargain, both carving their own paths. Betsy as CB is seriously exciting, and her psychic sword and shield give her new visual cues that are fun and speak to HER heritage. #winning

The thing is that they can't make Betsy white again without also putting Kwannon in the spotlight. Making Psylocke asian by being put on an asian woman's body is wrong, but putting her back in the original without keeping the asian representation somehow it's even worse. People who thought the bodyswap was problematic overall thought that the ideal would be for Kwannon, the actual asian person, to be her own character instead of serving as a shell for Betsy.

So, Marvel has to make Kwannon happen. And making her Psylocke and putting her in the iconic costume that sells thousands of toys and etc is the easiest and most profitable way to do it. With Brian and the Captain Britain brand not being used much in recent years and him becoming more known as "Psylocke's brother" than anything, making Betsy Captain Britain is the best way to not throw her under the bus thanks to Kwannon's promotion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post

Elizabeth has never voiced that she refused to go back to her bodynecause the offer was made by villains. She just never expressed that she wanted to go back to her body periodt.

And regardless of whether Kwannon was conscious inside or not is besides the point, what Betsy was doing was extremely messed up, walking around in another person corpse, busting it open for anyone that showed the slightest interest. Truly shameful behavior.

Betsy didn't do anything.

Stop pushing that nonsense narrative.

"Psylocke brand" LOL...people act like she's Wolverine or Spider-man. Psylocke has never been her own brand. She's a smaller piece of the X-men franchise. She doesnt stand on her own as we with other Marvel heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    The thing is that they can't make Betsy white again without also putting Kwannon in the spotlight. Making Psylocke asian by being put on an asian woman's body is wrong, but putting her back in the original without keeping the asian representation somehow it's even worse. People who thought the bodyswap was problematic overall thought that the ideal would be for Kwannon, the actual asian person, to be her own character instead of serving as a shell for Betsy.

So, Marvel has to make Kwannon happen. And making her Psylocke and putting her in the iconic costume that sells thousands of toys and etc is the easiest and most profitable way to do it. With Brian and the Captain Britain brand not being used much in recent years and him becoming more known as "Psylocke's brother" than anything, making Betsy Captain Britain is the best way to not throw her under the bus thanks to Kwannon's promotion.
    Marvel can still sell thousands of toys without making Kwannon, Psylocke.. I dont they even were prior to this as the X-merch has been lacking for quite some time
    Last edited by Havok83; 12-17-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Astonishing Member

It's not up on comixology, did marvel forget to release it ?

BANNED

I didn’t receive it either.

I am not the only one who didn't get it I wonder if Fallen Angel got stealth delayed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    I didn’t receive it either.
    Ditto 10 chars

Astonishing Member

Well if your curious according to reddit spoilers spoilers:
    literally nothing happens so were not missing anything it exists just so we can have 6 issues
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 12-18-2019 at 05:38 AM.