Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 7 Paragons

Default The 7 Paragons

Anyone watching "Crisis" knows what this is about - there are seven "paragons" in the DCU that embody the elements needed to take down the Anti-Monitor. We've been shown who they are in the Arrowverse, but who would they be in the (current) DCU?

1 - Paragon of Hope
    2 - Paragon of Destiny
    3 - Paragon of Truth
    4 - Paragon of Courage
    5 - Paragon of Honor
    6 - Paragon of Love
    7 - Paragon of Humanity

I have a list in mind, but thought I'd see what others think before posting...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-13-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Anyone watching "Crisis" knows what this is about - there are seven "paragons" in the DCU that embody the elements needed to take down the Anti-Monitor. We've been shown who they are in the Arrowverse, but who would they be in the (current) DCU?

1 - Paragon of Hope
    2 - Paragon of Destiny
    3 - Paragon of Truth
    4 - Paragon of Courage
    5 - Paragon of Honor
    6 - Paragon of Love
    7 - Paragon of Humanity

I have a list in mind, but thought I'd see what others think before posting...
    Haven't seen the episode, but easy enough to do with the iconic seven JL founders:

1 - Paragon of Hope - Superman
    2 - Paragon of Destiny - Aquaman (to be King over 70% of earth
    3 - Paragon of Truth - Wonder Woman
    4 - Paragon of Courage - Jordan (GL) fuels the will
    5 - Paragon of Honor - Batman (vow upon his parents death to reinvent himself and use everything he is and has, toward the fight
    6 - Paragon of Love - Barry
    7 - Paragon of Humanity - J'onzz (ironically the most alien.

Although Destiny (Aquaman as in "king Arthur type) I could easily swap out for Billy Batson who although he came from Fawcett comics, really embodies it for the DCU.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-15-2019 at 02:00 PM.

1 - Paragon of Hope - Superman. He'd have to be, right? It's there on his chest.
    2 - Paragon of Destiny - Naomi. Miracle child of superheroes (the other powered people on her earth weren't able to have kids) from another dimension, grew up humble but is now living up to her legacy.
    3 - Paragon of Truth - The Question. Always searching for answers to the "why" rather than just the "who." His dayjob is about exposing the truth.
    4 - Paragon of Courage - Green Lantern. (Hal) Fearless has always been part of how he's described.
    5 - Paragon of Honor - Black Lightning. Whether he's a father or not, he's a hero for all the right reasons and it's something that Batman trusts his values and motivation in a way he wouldn't trust most.
    6 - Paragon of Love - Wonder Woman. I prefer this take on her rather than just the sword-swinging warrior.
    7 - Paragon of Humanity - Batman. Not in the way "humanity" is usually used.(although he does have that) He's made himself into the perfect human being in almost all ways.

BANNED

Dc has Superman of the multiverse and Green Lanterns multiversal corps. And Flash.

While Hawkman exist everywhere.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman is Hope
    Wonder Woman is Truth
    Orion is Honor
    Jessica Cruz is Courage
    Mister Miracle is Destiny
    Mera is Love
    Kamandi is Humanity
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-14-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Hope - Superman
    Truth - Wonder Woman
    Courage - Hal Jordan
    Don't know about the rest

Not sure I agree with Batman being Honor or Humanity. If we have Justice, then yeah, but the way he's written has made Batman more than human, and being a dark creature of the night isn't exactly honorable. He also cares more specifically about Gotham than general humanity these days. I feel like an international range and selfless hero will fit Humanity but I don't know who.

I'm looking for someone more of a traditional warrior-type for Honor, or someone just, calm and confident. I don't know about Black Lightning but the little I see of him, he maybe fits?

Love fits Wonder Woman too but I want Truth for the lasso. I can give Truth to Lois Lane for her journalism... but if it's for Truth-seeker what j9 says about The Question sounds right.

Destiny's a hard one. A lot of the heroes I read (the ones I like) are all about defying destiny. How about Hawkman and Hawkgirl since they're reincarnated all the time?

1 - Paragon of Hope - Flash
    2 - Paragon of Destiny - Booster Gold
    3 - Paragon of Truth - Batman
    4 - Paragon of Courage - Green Lantern
    5 - Paragon of Honor - Wonder Woman
    6 - Paragon of Love - Shazam
    7 - Paragon of Humanity - Superman

1. Hope- Flash
    2. Destiny- Bruce Wayne (always destined to be Batman when his parents die)
    3. Truth- Conner Kent (threw a bone to the Supers)
    4. Courage- John Stewart
    5. Honor- Dick Grayson
    6. Love- Wonder Woman/Diana (honestly, she works for Truth as well, but Love is her main thing)
    7. Humanity- Jason Todd (who better to represent it then the one that has lived both sides, come back to life, and still walks a line with light on one side, and darkness on the other?)

Some people have picked better choices then I could come up with, so here's just me spitballing:

1 - Paragon of Hope - Mary Marvel
    2 - Paragon of Destiny - Hawkman
    3 - Paragon of Truth - Lois Lane
    4 - Paragon of Courage - Power Girl
    5 - Paragon of Honor - Shining Knight
    6 - Paragon of Love - Starfire
    7 - Paragon of Humanity - Plastic Man

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

Paragon of Hope - Wally West
    Paragon of Destiny - Hawkgirl
    Paragon of Truth - Superman
    Paragon of Courage - John Stewart
    Paragon of Honor - Bartman
    Paragon of Love - Wonder Woman
    Pargon of Humanity - Martian Manhunter
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Ooooh, I love this!

Paragon of Hope - Whether you call him Clark Kent, Kal-El, or most famously Superman there is no denying that Metropolis Man of Steel inspires hope throughout the people of the world - and in some universes, that's exactly what the s-shaped crest on his chest represents. Ever the optimist and unarguably the foremost hero of the world, Superman is the type of hero that would take time out of his busy day to talk someone down from the ledge... literally. And has.
    Paragon of Destiny - From the moment that he was born, it had felt like Jonathan Kent, also known as Superboy was destined to take on the crest that his father, cousin, and whatever you'd like to call Kon-El wear; and he has, from his perspective, for years. It feels like a foregone conclusion even without the idea of him being aged up because of Jor-El or him coming back from the future that Jonathan will, one day, be Superman... something that he himself embraces.
    Paragon of Truth - Who is Donna Troy? That's a question that has been asked and answered more times than certain people can count, and there have even been times when Troy herself hasn't exactly been able to answer it, or has had to have others answer it for her. Donna Troy has always been driven to grab the truth by the horns, and whether it was her truth or someone else's or the truth of a situation, make it her own.
    Paragon of Courage - From the battlefields that are explicitly in our background here on planet Earth to those that riddle the stars in the sky, Green Lantern John Stewart has often been among the first to fight for what it is that he believes is just, true, and right. John Stewart is a soldier through and through, unafraid to risk his life for the sake of others, and he does that without thinking twice or thinking selfishly.
    Paragon of Honor - Cassandra Cain, Orphan, is the daughter of two incredibly capable assassins, David Cain and Lady Shiva. Despite that Cassandra was taken in by Batman and the rest of his family, even adopted by Bruce Wayne (effectively becoming his first and only actual daughter), and in turn Cassandra adopted the code of the Bat - and redefined it as her own. Cassandra follows a strict code of honor, even moreso than the other members of her super-family.
    Paragon of Love - Diana of Themyscira, Wonder Woman, has been defined by so many things. She has at times been a Goddess of Justice, and at other times she has been a Goddess of War, she has been a princess and she has been a queen, she has been a human and she has been a goddess and she has been many things in between; but when it comes down to the thick of it, even with the Golden Perfect, Diana can and has often loved her even her villains unconditionally.
    Paragon of Humanity - Wally West, the Flash, has been through more than most people can ever claim to have been through. Throughout multiple crises and universes Wally has been built up from the loss of his mentor, his wife, his children and so many other things - and broken down all at the same time. But Wally keeps getting back up, choosing to be the hero that is needed; his resilience, tenacity, and compassion define what it's like to be a human.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I’m going with Justice Society members.

1 - Paragon of Hope- Jay Garrick/ The Flash
    2 - Paragon of Destiny- Kent Nelson/Dr. Fate
    3 - Paragon of Truth- Alan Scott / Green Lantern
    4 - Paragon of Courage- Carter Hall/Hawkman
    5 - Paragon of Honor- Ted Grant- Wildcat
    6 - Paragon of Love- Courtney Whitmore/Stargirl
    7 - Paragon of Humanity- Jack Knight/ Starman OR Billy Batson/ Shazam!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Retired

On the CW: Superman is Truth, because of "Truth, Justice and the American Way." Supergirl is Hope, because Kara always points out that her house symbol stands for Hope. It's Love for the Flash, because it's Barry Allen's Love for Iris West that guides him home when he gets lost in the Speed Force. It's Destiny for Sara (or any of the Legends) because they are time travellers "of Tomorrow." It's Courage for Batwoman, because Bob Kane also created Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse.

Why J'Onn is honour and Ryan Choi (not yet Atom) is humanity, I don't know. Those seem arbitrary to me.

Destiny should be Destiny of the Endless, that's super-obvious. Love should be Angel Love. Hope should be Bob Hope. Courage should be Hal Jordan because he's a Man Without Fear. Honour should be Lady Cop, because police take an Oath of Honour. Humanity should be Brother Power the Geek because he's an expression of humanity. And Truth should be Jackie Johnson because he was always an honest and true G.I.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Hope - Superman
    Truth - Wonder Woman
    Courage - Hal Jordan
    Don't know about the rest

Not sure I agree with Batman being Honor or Humanity. If we have Justice, then yeah, but the way he's written has made Batman more than human, and being a dark creature of the night isn't exactly honorable. He also cares more specifically about Gotham than general humanity these days. I feel like an international range and selfless hero will fit Humanity but I don't know who.

I'm looking for someone more of a traditional warrior-type for Honor, or someone just, calm and confident. I don't know about Black Lightning but the little I see of him, he maybe fits?

Love fits Wonder Woman too but I want Truth for the lasso. I can give Truth to Lois Lane for her journalism... but if it's for Truth-seeker what j9 says about The Question sounds right.

Destiny's a hard one. A lot of the heroes I read (the ones I like) are all about defying destiny. How about Hawkman and Hawkgirl since they're reincarnated all the time?
    I was really torn about that. In classic lore, Love and compassion are what she's about. But the Post Crisis really leaned into the Goddess of Truth concept which is awesome too.

If Truth goes to Diana then I vote Starfire or Looker for love as they have always been openhearted and centered on love. Donna Troy (poor thing) was also a candidate for that but the continuity from Flashpoint to the present really pooped on this character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    On the CW: Superman is Truth, because of "Truth, Justice and the American Way." Supergirl is Hope, because Kara always points out that her house symbol stands for Hope. It's Love for the Flash, because it's Barry Allen's Love for Iris West that guides him home when he gets lost in the Speed Force. It's Destiny for Sara (or any of the Legends) because they are time travellers "of Tomorrow." It's Courage for Batwoman, because Bob Kane also created Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse.

Why J'Onn is honour and Ryan Choi (not yet Atom) is humanity, I don't know. Those seem arbitrary to me.

Destiny should be Destiny of the Endless, that's super-obvious. Love should be Angel Love. Hope should be Bob Hope. Courage should be Hal Jordan because he's a Man Without Fear. Honour should be Lady Cop, because police take an Oath of Honour. Humanity should be Brother Power the Geek because he's an expression of humanity. And Truth should be Jackie Johnson because he was always an honest and true G.I.
    What about one of the Hawks for Destiny?