Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default DC Annouce "The Robin 80th Anniversary 100 Page Super Spectacular" for March

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/1...ans-partner-in

The Robin 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular #1 is a prestige format comic book retailing for $9.99 and available on March 11, 2020.

This instant collectible includes stories from of comics’ greatest Robin writers, paying tribute to the character in various guises, including Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown and Damian Wayne. The Talent list for these stories reads like a who’s-who list of comic luminaries, such as Marv Wolfman, Tom Grummett, Chuck Dixon, Scott McDaniel, Devin Grayson, Dan Jurgens, Norm Rapmund, Tim Seeley, Tom King and Mikel Janin, James Tynion IV, Peter J. Tomasi, Judd Winick and others.

In addition to a dynamic cover by Lee Weeks, hardcore fans and collectors can also look forward to eight variant covers spotlighting Robin throughout the decades, drawn by some of comics’ premiere artists:

1940’s variant cover by Jim Lee and Scott Williams
    1950’s variant cover by Julian Totino Tedesco
    1960’s variant cover by Dustin Nguyen
    1970’s variant cover by Kaare Andrews
    1980’s variant cover by Frank Miller
    1990’s variant cover by Jim Cheung
    2000’s variant cover by Derrick Chew
    2010’s variant cover by Yasmine Putri

An equally impressive collection of artistic talent will honor Robin in a series of tribute images celebrating different incarnations of the character such as Kenneth Rocafort, Nicola Scott, Andy Kubert and Frank Miller.

Great that Steph is included. I was hoping there'd be some new stories set in the different eras, though.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Does that mean that there are FOUR variants for Dick but everyone else gets only one?

No Grummett or McDaniel for the 90's? Guys that actually drew the Robin title during that time period. Still a buy for me.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The anniversary is in March, so if Dick is still Ric by the time this came out, I'll give up guessing because there'll be no trace of rationality left at DC.

Given that Batman Chronicles: The Gauntlet is my favorite single issue of all time, it's nice to see Weeks do this cover. Would've preferred the whole thing to be a celebration of the OG Robin, but I'm appreciative that we get a celebration nonetheless.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

That Lee Weeks cover is great, but Jim Cheung drawing Tim Drake? Take my money. Now.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Looks like Seeley and King are taking the helm for a Dick Grayson story.

link
    Last edited by RedBird; 12-13-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Looks like Seeley and King are taking the helm for a Dick Grayson story.

link
    that must have been what king was teasing a few days ago about writing dick

Totally in on this. Good for DC for acknowledging the Robin history.

Simultaneously, BOO DC for the same month's Nightwing solicit. Still Ric with no sign of going back. Hard pass on that one. The 80th anniversary would have been a choice time to give Dick back his memories and real name.

Still, looking forward to the Robin special, and thrilled that even Steph is included!

Yeah, I guess that explains what that Grayson tease was last week. So it was a one off like most of us figured.

I know her fans aren't going to like hearing it, but I wouldn't have included Steph in the anniversary issue. She was Robin for such a brief moment and it doesn't feel right including her in such a big anniversary story compared to the others. Maybe if she just has a small part in Tim's story or something it would be okay though, but giving her her own variant cover and story would feel like a lot.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Totally in on this. Good for DC for acknowledging the Robin history.

Simultaneously, BOO DC for the same month's Nightwing solicit. Still Ric with no sign of going back. Hard pass on that one. The 80th anniversary would have been a choice time to give Dick back his memories and real name.

Still, looking forward to the Robin special, and thrilled that even Steph is included!
    Wait, really? Has the April one come out yet?

Does that mean that there are FOUR variants for Dick but everyone else gets only one?
    Well, it's an 80-year anniversary, and he was Robin for more than 40 of them - it makes sense that he'd be as represented as much as all of the rest put together, given that circumstance. I mean, they could have given them all equal treatment, too. Or even weighted it in favor of Damian, because he's the current Robin (though that would have been more likely with new stories, in the sense they might be trying more to appeal to potential new fans, and that's what they could expect picking up a book today). The non-first, non-most, non-current were never going to get a greater than equal share of the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Yeah, I guess that explains what that Grayson tease was last week. So it was a one off like most of us figured.

I know her fans aren't going to like hearing it, but I wouldn't have included Steph in the anniversary issue. She was Robin for such a brief moment and it doesn't feel right including her in such a big anniversary story compared to the others. Maybe if she just has a small part in Tim's story or something it would be okay though, but giving her her own variant cover and story would feel like a lot.
    Because she is a big part in Tim's tenure as Robin, and she ended being Robin, precisely, I think it's a good idea to include her as herself, with her own story.

So are these all new short stories or just a lot of old stuff being re-collected/re-published?