Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I think this is like Detective Comics #1000

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySpectre View Post

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/1...ans-partner-in

The Robin 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular #1 is a prestige format comic book retailing for $9.99 and available on March 11, 2020.

This instant collectible includes stories from of comics’ greatest Robin writers, paying tribute to the character in various guises, including Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown and Damian Wayne. The Talent list for these stories reads like a who’s-who list of comic luminaries, such as Marv Wolfman, Tom Grummett, Chuck Dixon, Scott McDaniel, Devin Grayson, Dan Jurgens, Norm Rapmund, Tim Seeley, Tom King and Mikel Janin, James Tynion IV, Peter J. Tomasi, Judd Winick and others.

In addition to a dynamic cover by Lee Weeks, hardcore fans and collectors can also look forward to eight variant covers spotlighting Robin throughout the decades, drawn by some of comics’ premiere artists:

1940’s variant cover by Jim Lee and Scott Williams
    1950’s variant cover by Julian Totino Tedesco
    1960’s variant cover by Dustin Nguyen
    1970’s variant cover by Kaare Andrews
    1980’s variant cover by Frank Miller
    1990’s variant cover by Jim Cheung
    2000’s variant cover by Derrick Chew
    2010’s variant cover by Yasmine Putri

An equally impressive collection of artistic talent will honor Robin in a series of tribute images celebrating different incarnations of the character such as Kenneth Rocafort, Nicola Scott, Andy Kubert and Frank Miller.
    Hooray! And Steph is included!

I'm curious - Batgirl #45 is, by some addition (73 + 6 + 24 + 52 + 45) the 200th issue. Any chance we'll get a Batgirl 250 in the next year?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

https://twitter.com/Dixonverse/statu...23603540168704

"Yup. I wrote a Nightwing story this week."
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I thought for sure he was doing a Tim story. Maybe Wolfman is doing a Tim one.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    https://twitter.com/Dixonverse/statu...23603540168704

"Yup. I wrote a Nightwing story this week."
    So it was Dick, after all.

I seriously wonder who's going to do Steph.

I'm expecting Dick having three stories for himself: one for Robin, one for Nightwing and one for Grayson. Wolfman would be the Robin one, I think. Dixon for NW and Seeley and King for Grayson. Unless, as someone in our Jason thread suggested, one of those is a Dick/Tim story. And then, Devin Grayson: another Dick story would be the safe bet, but... 4 stories about dick, and then you have other 4 robins, each one with one for themselves. In only a hundred of pages. I don't think Dick's going to have more than 3.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 12-13-2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Herp derp

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    So it was Dick, after all.

I seriously wonder who's going to do Steph.

I'm expecting Dick having three stories for himself: one for Robin, one for Nightwing and one for Grayson. Wolfman would be the Robin one, I think. Dixon for NW and Seeley and King for Grayson. Unless, as someone in our Jason thread suggested, one of those is a Dick/Tim story. And then, Devin Grayson: another Dick story would be the safe bet, but... 4 stories about dick, and then you have other 4 robins, each one with one for themselves. In only a hundred of pages. I don't think Dick's going to have more than 3.
    Tynion could do Steph. He likes her and Tim a lot.

Tynion could do Steph. He likes her and Tim a lot.
    After a second though, that was my guess. But then, if Dixon is doing Dick, the only one who could fit Tim besides Tynion is Wolfman, who, even if he created the character (like Aahz pointed out to me), isn't the writer people associates him with, as far as I'm aware. And these seem to be pretty straightforward creative teams. Winick is doing Jason's. And I bet Jurgens and Tomasi are doing Damians.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySpectre View Post
    The Robin 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular #1 is a prestige format comic book retailing for $9.99 and available on March 11, 2020.

This instant collectible includes stories from of comics’ greatest Robin writers, paying tribute to the character in various guises, including Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown and Damian Wayne.
    How about the first Robin, Bruce Wayne?

After a second though, that was my guess. But then, if Dixon is doing Dick, the only one who could fit Tim besides Tynion is Wolfman, who, even if he created the character (like Aahz pointed out to me), isn't the writer people associates him with, as far as I'm aware. And these seem to be pretty straightforward creative teams. Winick is doing Jason's. And I bet Jurgens and Tomasi are doing Damians.
    I think Glass is probably also doing a Damian story, given he's the current Teen Titans writer. (Shoulda got Priest to do it. Dark Multiverse Slade Wilson son Damian )

I think Glass is probably also doing a Damian story, given he's the current Teen Titans writer. (Shoulda got Priest to do it. Dark Multiverse Slade Wilson son Damian )
    Mmm, I can't see it. Only 100 pages, and 5 characters, plus the usually extra pages with profiles and stuff.

I mean, they may add some other writers there, but I doubt they will have whole stories. 6 stories (2 confirmed for dick, 1 jason, 1 tim, 1 steph and 1 damian) would be a strench already, with 15-17 pages each one.

(Hey, don't joke about that thing about the DM: they could take note and put it in! Sigh, I don't get the appeal :rollingeyes:. It's like being a teenger again, and people talking about that or this hot teen show everywhere. I'm lost)
    Last edited by Zaresh; 12-13-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Mmm, I can't see it. Only 100 pages, and 5 characters, plus the usually extra pages with profiles and stuff.

I mean, they may add some other writers there, but I doubt they will have whole stories. 6 stories (2 confirmed for dick, 1 jason, 1 tim, 1 steph and 1 damian) would be a strench already, with 15-17 pages each one.

(Hey, don't joke about that thing about the DM: they could take note and put it in! Sigh, I don't get the appeal :rollingeyes:. It's like being a teenger again, and people talking about that or this hot teen show everywhere. I'm lost)
    Haha, given that DC was firmly squishing Priest on that, I don't see it happening. I don't like the Dark Multiverse, but I adore Priest's Deathstroke, and he made best use of the Dark Multiverse concept (as well as the idiotic Year of the Villain concept).

But I think out of the 96 pages in the solicitation, we'll probably get at minimum 10 stories (that's about how many we've gotten with the other anniversary specials). They like their 8 pagers, and that leaves room for the pinups they're promising as well.

Haha, given that DC was firmly squishing Priest on that, I don't see it happening. I don't like the Dark Multiverse, but I adore Priest's Deathstroke, and he made best use of the Dark Multiverse concept (as well as the idiotic Year of the Villain concept).

But I think out of the 96 pages in the solicitation, we'll probably get at minimum 10 stories (that's about how many we've gotten with the other anniversary specials). They like their 8 pagers, and that leaves room for the pinups they're promising as well.
    Weeeell, I guess, with all those "old" names, some of those 8-page stories could do for some nice reads. Decompression is hard to unlearn.

This is part of the reason I dislike these anniversary kind of books: they put a lot of not very good stuff, because they want to put too much inside it. In the end, it's not very appealing for me. So please, please, DC, don't pull a Tec #1000 again on me :/.

Edit: Deathatroke was good, but, eh, I don't follow this Dark Multiverse stuff, and can't bring myself to be interested in any of it, to be honest. As I said, I just don't get what's so hot about it.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 12-13-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Weeeell, I guess, with all those "old" names, some of those 8-page stories could do for some nice reads. Decompression is hard to unteach.

This is part of the reason I dislike these anniversary kind of books: they put a lot of not very good stuff, because they want to put too much inside it. In the end, it's not very appealing for me. So please, please, DC, don't pull a Tec #1000 again on me :/.
    Well, I really loved Action and Tec 1000. Sure, a lot of the stories are kinda middling, but they are fun, and they get some of my favorite teams back together.

Well, I really loved Action and Tec 1000. Sure, a lot of the stories are kinda middling, but they are fun, and they get some of my favorite teams back together.
    To each their own.

I think I liked two of the Tec one, and I don't think two alone are worth 10 bucks. And I don't like pinups a lot. Not in my comics. I like them as posters, and as covers and the like, but they give me very little of an extra when they're in some comic and they aren't there somehow serving the story.

And then I just... It's such a wasted opportunity to deliver some good story that everyone is going to buy. But I get that's probably a very personal view.

To each their own.

I think I liked two of the Tec one, and I don't think two alone are worth 10 bucks. And I don't like pinups a lot. Not in my comics. I like them as posters, and as covers and the like, but they give me very little of an extra when they're in some comic and they aren't there somehow serving the story.

And then I just... It's such a wasted opportunity to deliver some good story that everyone is going to buy. But I get that's probably a very personal view.
    I think there's too much of a chance that the "big story" will be just as bad as the worst of the shorts. Ahem. Tomasi's short in Tec, and Bendis's short in Action were definitely NOT the best stories in those books, and I think both of them were most likely to have gotten the "big story" since they were leading into the next arc. With 10 different stories, I can have fun fluff, like the Dini/Nguyen story or the Meltzer/Cassaday story, or I can have Tom King doing his best to really boil down what he's saying about Batman and Superman, or I can have a few stories I really don't like. The flavors make it interesting.

I can see what you're saying about the pinups, but as someone who misses the ACTUAL Secret Files books (not the pale, disappointing imitations DC's been pumping out recently), the pinups make it feel more like that. And though some of them are pretty limp, some, like the Jimenez one in Action, or the Connor one in Tec, are simply gorgeous and say something emotional about the characters. Plus, the Fabok spread was a nice Batfam thing. Maybe we'll get a Nicola Scott Batfam spread, or something similar? That'd be pretty awesome!