Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Can someone explain why “hate watching” is a thing to me?

Why would you put so much effort into something you don’t like?

People love any excuse to complain about something.

If you're talking about a show or series, then I agree. For political and ideological sides, there may be a need to see what the opposition is saying and finding flaws to exploit and publicize.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    If you're talking about a show or series, then I agree. For political and ideological sides, there may be a need to see what the opposition is saying and finding flaws to exploit and publicize.
    How does that Godfather quote go? "Keep your friends close; and your enemies closer."

In some cases; it really is necessary to stand watch.
    Last edited by Javasaurus; 12-13-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Another factor is that it's a form of inverted fandom, akin to the "minute of hate" of 1984 by Orwell. Instead of building a group or community around shared values or enjoyments, it's based around dislikes or hate. Sadly, it's a rather effective way of creating a group identity, though its side effects are rather toxic.

This is made worse by the way Youtube has managed to monetise and spread various forms of outrage videos. Nowadays we have a group of people whose living depends on being able to constantly hate-watch stuff. I don't think that's healthy for them, nor for the people who get addicted to watching it.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

1- The level of effort is the catch. Very little in life grants such appeasement as turning on a TV and finding a show to watch. If that's what passes for effort these days then we really are in end times.

2- your rank and file hate-watch- and so that's strong term, it's really to be taken more like slang, least how I take it. If you hear two middle aged women talk and it's all, "woo, woo, woo, yea bitch! Ah-ah-ah" that's harsh speak but that's not the intent. If you truly HATE something I don't feel you're even aware of certain things. If someone professes to hate black people I don't think they go out buy seasons 1 through whatever on DVD of whatever black show, binge that **** over a weekend, hatin' it the whole time.

I think it's more like a venn diagram right. Take Arrow on the CW for example, when it first came on I rocked with it hard but as characters developed and story lines were presented I realized I don't like this as much. At the heart of it was Green Arrow, Dennis O'Neil, Neal Adams, he was rich and every time the green bow and arrow came out my eyes turned into giant anime hearts, deaf to anything else. After a while the **** I didn't like began to eclipse the on screen bow and arrow shots. At some point it became a chore and I spent more time dissing the show that getting my giant anime heart eyes on when the costume and quiver showed up. I hate-watched for about all of season 4 and then let it go. That's how I see it at least, I feel it's a progression via regression of tolerance until it isn't if that makes sense.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Boisterously Confused

Because how can you truly insult a show's fans online unless you have the most current info to work with?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Because how can you truly insult a show's fans online unless you have the most current info to work with?
    Some folks don't do that.

They HOPE enough folks don't see it and they make up whatever and run with it.

See The ANAD Marvel backlash. Very few if ANY of the attackers could tell you a THING about the actual contents in the books.
    Which leads to those who read the books firing back especially when those writers and staff got attacked for stuff that never happened in the books.

I have hate watched a few shows. It is usually a show I liked at first but then turned really bad. So you continue to watch the carnage of a once fun series. Heroes, Lost and Under the Dome co s to mind.
    I did hate watch The Inhumans, which was bad from the get go, but it was only 6 episodes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I'm watching the Crisis On Infinite Earths crossover solely for the awesome guest stars and cameos. Apart from that, I hate almost everything about these shows so I don't watch them otherwise. Does that count as 'hate watching'?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member

My guilty pleasure is The Fast and the Furious. I won't watch any installment in the theater but with the family at home. I hate it, but I love to get upset about the dumb unrealistic action and the macho talk that's rather bad then good. And my kids are always laughing when I run over Vin Diesels mouth or make fun of that ****...

I wonder what happened to the world where TFATF makes more money at the box office then most other good movies. What does it say about us?

I think the Cats movie will end the concept of hate watching for all times.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    I think the Cats movie will end the concept of hate watching for all times.
    You mean it will be the all time hate watched movie?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I think there are differences of nuance here. To me, hate-watching is very different from cult watching (like RHPS) or guilty pleasures. Those are fundamentally about appreciating the bad parts of the movie. Hate-watching is probably more similar to MST3K, but where MST3K emphasises humour and silliness and community, hate-watching is more about nit-picking and being most vocal in disliking something.

A show like "Everything wrong with [movie]" is not really about being funny. It's about performative outrage.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You mean it will be the all time hate watched movie?
    People will go in to hate watch it, and come out so traumatized they will never try hate watching anything again.