Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Did Abrams and Disney Just Toss The Last Jedi And Rian Under The Bus?

Interesting quotes from a New York Times article, link below. Disney must have nerves off steel to stick by Rian after the beating he takes in this article.

Abrams praised “The Last Jedi” for being “full of surprises and subversion and all sorts of bold choices.”

“On the other hand,” he added, “it’s a bit of a meta approach to the story. I don’t think that people go to ‘Star Wars’ to be told, ‘This doesn’t matter.’”

Even so, Abrams said “The Last Jedi” laid the groundwork for “The Rise of Skywalker” and “a story that I think needed a pendulum swing in one direction in order to swing in the other.”

Yikes. what about Daisy Ridley?

"But when it was announced that Abrams was indeed returning, his actors breathed sighs of relief. “I cried,” Ridley said, explaining that the director brought a comforting sense of structure and security. "

Ouch.

What about Boyega?

Boyega said he was glad that Abrams would get to finish the tale he’d begun in Episode VII. “Even as a normal person in the audience, I wanted to see where that story was going,” Boyega said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/m...jj-abrams.html
    Last edited by Anthony W; 12-13-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Its hard to take it any other way. I mean, they try and be nice about it but the message is the same.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think that Abrams may have been a little upset that Johnson basically made a movie that told people that every thing that was in The Force Awakens "doesn't matter". To me the kicker was with Johnson posted the "Your Snoke theory sucks" and then killed him off with out any to-due.
    People went into the last Jedi with everything that Abrams set up in TFA, Who Rey was, Who Snoke was, What was Luke doing all this time? And the answer to each of every single question that we (or at lest I did) went in to TLJ with was literally nothing. Who is Rey? Nobody. Who is Snoke? Don't matter he is dead. What was Luke doing? Nothing. Who are the Knights of Ren? In the longest running Star Wars movie to-date there was no room to put them in.
    Yeah If I were Abrams I'd not care to much for a lot of Johnson's choices either.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its hard to take it any other way. I mean, they try and be nice about it but the message is the same.
    How many years will need to pass before people can use the phrase "subvert your expectations" when discussing movies?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    How many years will need to pass before people can use the phrase "subvert your expectations" when discussing movies?

Ironically, The infinity War Move has better positive "subvert your expectations" moments. I don't think that subverting expectations is a bad thing it has been going on in storytelling for ever. The "No I am your father" from Vader was an subversion of the audience's expectation and became one of the most iconic scenes in movie history (even if it is misquoted all the time). The problem is doing it for the sake of doing it that is when it becomes an issue. If you sacrifice the story just to have at "twist" then that is just bad story telling... Ryan Johnson is a bad at it.. I've not seen Knives Out but every thing else I've seen that he has done sup par story telling.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 12-13-2019 at 01:39 PM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

BANNED

Interesting. Makes my think twice about Buried Alien's suggestion in another thread that there's a threat to to the box office take. I'm not convinced that's the case, but it makes me wonder if Disney might be worried it's the case.

This seems coordinated and well-timed - as in, a PR response to TLJ backlash - limited though it was.

However, it also strikes me that these sorts of comments will only really matter to the relative few that were upset about TLJ to begin with. So there's probably little risk to get marginal gain, so why not?

I don't really see it that way ... but okay.

It's more of a cushioned carry down to a bed in front a slow-moving bus then.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-13-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Also, Burger King is spoiling the movie. To be fair, Reddit already did that but still...

These are the times we live in....https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...oppers-1262353

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I don't really see it that way ... but okay.

It's more of a cushioned carry down to a bed in front a slow-moving bus then.
    Being run over by a slow-moving bus sounds worse.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think you really have to read your own thoughts into it to make those quotes say what you want them to.

Wow, some people really desperate to not like Rian Johnson.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

iMan 42s

Given how often we get a TLJ/Rian Johnson hate circle jerk I feel like it needs its own sticky thread.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Cool

To change the negative mood of this thread -

Have I mentioned one of my favorite aspects of Star Wars is Stromtrooper armor design? I call Imperial Stormtroopers "Skull Faces" and First Order Stormtroopers "Smiley Faces". I like "Smiley Face" ones better than "Skull Face" ones due to the former possessing cleaner angles and more rounded chest plates.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

As much as I hate TLJ this seems a little like stretching.

Like others mentioned, as much as I don't like TLJ, this article is just clickbate to get views. They're picking one or two sentences out of an interview to frame it as a controversial thing.