View Poll Results: Which Xmen stories do you prefer?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • More grounded storytelling

25 75.76%
  • The more outlandish..time travel, magic, aliens etc.

8 24.24%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Which Xmen stories do you prefer?

With all the talk about how to introduce the Xmen into the MCU and with the changes to the comics....I wanted to ask what stories or origins do you prefer when it comes to the Xmen? Is it the more grounded or the more outlandish if you will? And by outlandish I mean relying on magic, aliens, time travel

BANNED

I think there is room for both and both have had resulted in groundbreaking, genre redefining stories.

That said, the outlandish stuff has resulted in some of my favorite ideas and characters like HoXPoX, Magik, and Rachel Grey, so that’ll be my answer today.

I think the themes work better in a grounded context.

Once that's established, like TQC says, there's room for expansion into wilder settings and concepts. I'd be very careful though. I might like Limbo and DOFP too, but I despise Shi'ar nonsense.

Having heroes that a simply "born this way" really leads to a more grounded storytelling, but I don't mind the occasional more "outlandish" story. The problem became every story was outlandish and the X-Men had no direction for about 10 years. Had Hickman not come when he did the franchise was ready to burn out for a bit a la Fantastic Four or Thor after Disassembled.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

The more outlandish stuff is more fun, but he grounded stories would be better to introduce mutants into the MCU. From there, go into the space stuff, the magic stuff, and the weird stuff like leprechauns and junk.

I find only 'grounded' stories boring and only 'outlandish' stories difficult to believe (in comics only).
    Well, I can't choose, a mix of both… Feet on the ground and the head in the sky.
    The quality of the story, if I find the author likable… matter to me more, though.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Can we get a second poll about whether we like solo stories or team books in X-men?

I'm not a big fan of rigid taxonomical categories and would choose "Both." But, for the sake of this poll I went with outlandish because sometimes the 'grounded' approach can just become banal.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Can we get a second poll about whether we like solo stories or team books in X-men?
    Can't you make it one yourself?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I've always loved the outlandish stuff. The Space adventures. The Magic dimensions. The Time Travelling.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Fantastic Member

For me I guess it takes a certain suspension of disbelief anyway when reading comics or any fictional story. Hell you have to do that with the news stories these days too lol. However I lean more toward the more grounded stories that can be adapted into movies or tv shows. I'm ok with heavy sci-fi. That said I think its more because most of the outlandish stuff is not done well at all. The best time travel story was probably Days of Future Past but after that it seems all the rest of tye stories went to sh*t. Most if not all of the Phoenix stuff, magical stuff and alien stuff were and have been bad unnecessary stories.

I don't think I really have a preference? It depends on the specific story. I guess the ~grounded~ ones usually speak to me on an emotional level, but the outlandish stuff can be more fun and mindblowing.

When it comes to the MCU, they should start grounded. The first movie should establish mutants as minorities, the prejudice, the difference in ideologies in regards to the situation, etc. Than a bit after that they can start throwing in sci-fi stuff.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

It is a shame we didn't get an option for a mix of the two. The grounded stories about mutant issues are essential, but the franchise needs some of the space/magic/Murderworld type stuff. It is a necessary change of pace, can be like a breath of fresh air, and there have been a lot of fun and iconic stories that were the outlandish stories. Brood Saga, Shiar stories, etc.

Since we see less and less of them, "The more outlandish..time travel, magic, aliens etc" was my vote.

BANNED

I like good stories. There are bad stories that are "grounded" and good stories that are outlandish.

The thing is the X-Men were never grounded. The most traditional X-Men status-quo, i.e. the X-Men are all students at a mansion run by a kindly wheelchaired professor who also has a secret jet, a Danger Room, and so on...is still pretty outlandish and way off from any tangible real-world place. Spider-Man struggling to pay rent for his apartment this ain't.

What made the X-Men grounded and special was the melodrama, the emotional, the socio-political metaphor, the internal character dilemmas and so on?

My favorite X-Men stories of all time are Ultimate X-Men by Millar and Uncanny X-Force by Remender. Are those grounded or fantastical?
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.