View Poll Results: Which Xmen stories do you prefer?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • More grounded storytelling

25 75.76%
  • The more outlandish..time travel, magic, aliens etc.

8 24.24%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I can appreciate both and I think they compliment each other. Outlandish, bombastic stuff like time travel, cosmic adventures and magic are totally fun but you need more grounded stories as well. More space for subtle, nuanced character development. But at the end of the day I just want good storytelling and nice art.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In terms of metaphor, i.e. the X-Men repeatedly having alternate futures where they are sentinel fodder, a present where every previous attempt at helping the humans was spat in their face, where the so-called "heroes" do zilch for them...the X-Men of HoX/PoX are relatable to readers in terms of generational issues. You know, "OK Boomer". There's a sense of righteous anger and disappointment directed at the status-quo, a sense of a future far reduced from the past, and a present where the mainstream doesn't really allow any platform for the marginalized to make their voices heard.
    If I read you right, it's the young people saying to the old ones: "You have stolen our future, we are angry and we don't want to follow your rules anymore."?
    It's not the existence of 'Krakoa', of any haven for mutants I find unsettling. It's the lack of nuance and finesse in the relationships between individuals and their psychology. It was once one of the biggest asset of the X-men.
    I still have hard time to feel anything towards expressionless faces, stereotypical dialogues and cynical and calculated stances from all characters. I must not be angry enough to be bewitched by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    And likewise, what Hickman is doing is contextually not far from what Claremont did in the context of the '70s and '80s where Claremont/Byrne banked on turning a WASP-teen centric book into a multicultural melting pot with heroic Russians, teen Jewish girls, a Canadian guy being the cool one and the most whitebread of the X-Men, Jean Grey having bizarre sex fantasies.

Hickman is just trying to keep the X-Men uncanny and weird. Claremont was the first to do that since the 05 X-Men weren't truly Uncanny or Strange.
    Yes, Claremont introduced more diversity, more universalism, he has opened the X-men. But now, Hickman is closing them on a island, in a ethnically pure society.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Stories with a competent Dazzler and a free willed Frenzy.