Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I absolutely loathe it.

First, no normal or semi-normal (and I consider Smallville the latter) incarnation of Superman that I accept would ever give up his powers for personal gain, especially with a Lex Luthor as President of the United States.

Second, we spent 10 years with up-and-down writing on the show which was more or less centered around Clark accepting his destiny. He FINALLY does in the finale, and that's all out the window in a throw away cameo.

Third, it was completely unnecessary. I have a sneaking suspicion that this was Tom Welling's idea, and was the only way he would do the cameo, which is the only thing that makes sense.

But whatever. I know there are those who are adamant that it fits perfectly with Smallville. But for me, it just feels all the sacrifices that the characters made over the course of the show and the overall journey of Clark accepting his destiny was all for not. The silver lining is that I don't have to accept it as canon.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I absolutely loathe it.

First, no normal or semi-normal (and I consider Smallville the latter) incarnation of Superman that I accept would ever give up his powers for personal gain, especially with a Lex Luthor as President of the United States.

Second, we spent 10 years with up-and-down writing on the show which was more or less centered around Clark accepting his destiny. He FINALLY does in the finale, and that's all out the window in a throw away cameo.

Third, it was completely unnecessary. I have a sneaking suspicion that this was Tom Welling's idea, and was the only way he would do the cameo, which is the only thing that makes sense.

But whatever. I know there are those who are adamant that it fits perfectly with Smallville. But for me, it just feels all the sacrifices that the characters made over the course of the show and the overall journey of Clark accepting his destiny was all for not. The silver lining is that I don't have to accept it as canon.
    His destiny was a lot of nonsense filled in by others, especially jerk jor el. Clark helping out as superman is and always will be a choice and instinct , not obligation. @bold That ain't true at all. Superman does retire,Family is something most versions of the character wants.Sure,he will put his responsibility first. but that doesn't mean it isn't and I quote "like tearing of your own arm". It should be hard for him and it shouldn't something he can do again and again without it affecting him adversely emotionally.which leads me to president lex, that is the only qualm i have.But,i can't make judgement call on that because full context has not been revealed.Never ending battle for truth and justice will continue regardless of clark.He comes to understand that in many stories.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Guggenheim said the comics were canon to Smallville, as they should be, since it's a continuation, done by the people who wrote the show. Though they wouldn't really mention it, which is fine, since with the limited amount of dialogue Welling has, it was better spent on his talk with Cyer Lex than his previous adventures.
    While I can see not spending time referencing most of the comics' events, it might have made sense to reference the Crisis story arc from the Smallville comics since it is so similar to what the other Earth's are going through. Like with Durance's dual role I'd have preferred Welling and Durance interacting more with Hoechlin and Tulloch about Crisis rather than just the Lex scene. I'm greedy that way.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    His destiny was a lot of nonsense filled in by others, especially jerk jor el. Clark helping out as superman is and always will be a choice and instinct , not obligation. @bold That ain't true at all. Superman does retire,Family is something most versions of the character wants.Sure,he will put his responsibility first. but that doesn't mean it isn't and I quote "like tearing of your own arm". It should be hard for him and it shouldn't something he can do again and again without it affecting him adversely emotionally.which leads me to president lex, that is the only qualm i have.But,i can't make judgement call on that because full context has not been revealed.Never ending battle for truth and justice will continue regardless of clark.He comes to understand that in many stories.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. Like I said, I understand there are those that are perfectly fine with it. I'm not one of them.