Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Default Questions regarding Wonder Woman powers/abilities

Hello,

I recently watched the WW 1984 and really liked it. I am excited to see WW 1984. I watched the 1st Wonder Woman movie and enjoyed it. Due to Gal Gadot's portrayal, I felt that Diana is a strong inspiring character.

Due to this I been trying to learn more about Wonder Woman in the comics and I have some questions about her powers/abilities.

I have read in some secret file comics that Wonder Woman is vulnerable to piercing weapons. In the current "Rebirth" version of the comics is this still true? Is she now bulletproof? Is she still vulnerable to piercing weapons?

In her year one comic by Rucka, she jas a grenade blow up in her hand (it looked really cool). So what is the extent of her durability currently?

The cheating answer is “it depends”. Writers and artists aren’t always on the same page. However iirc Rucka has WW pierced by a bullet in his Rebirth run and then Diana got hit by a ricochet in Priest JL, so as of right now no she is not bulletproof. But she does heal very quickly, almost Wolverine tier. I don’t believe she’s particularly vulnerable to piercing weapons right now.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The cheating answer is “it depends”. Writers and artists aren’t always on the same page. However iirc Rucka has WW pierced by a bullet in his Rebirth run and then Diana got hit by a ricochet in Priest JL, so as of right now no she is not bulletproof. But she does heal very quickly, almost Wolverine tier. I don’t believe she’s particularly vulnerable to piercing weapons right now.
    So, so shouldn't be able to be cut or pierced by blades & knives? Is Wonder Woman not effected by explosives?

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    So, so shouldn't be able to be cut or pierced by blades & knives? Is Wonder Woman not effected by explosives?
    In Rucka's run she contained a grenade's explosion with her hands. Which makes the piercing and cutting weaknesses all the more nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    She's vulnerable to knives, swords, bullets and other piercing weapons but not to fire or blunt force trauma. So she could conceivably survive the heat and concussive force of an explosion, but not necessarily a bomb with a lot of shrapnel in it like the unabomber made, unless she blocked it with her bracelets. It sounds weird but that's how it is.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    She's vulnerable to knives, swords, bullets and other piercing weapons but not to fire or blunt force trauma. So she could conceivably survive the heat and concussive force of an explosion, but not necessarily a bomb with a lot of shrapnel in it like the unabomber made, unless she blocked it with her bracelets. It sounds weird but that's how it is.
    I don't think she would die from that. Rebirth has an
    specifict susceptible point against piercing, but Based on her healing factor, she can survive something like what you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I don't think she would die from that. Rebirth has an
    specifict susceptible point against piercing, but Based on her healing factor, she can survive something like what you describe.
    I'm sure she'd survive it but not necessarily automatically. In Rebirth she's shot multiple times but survives...to show her durability, yet potential for injury.

Extraordinary Member

So what are all Diana's powers, as near current as possible? I've heard something about animals...can she talk to them or something similar? And what are her magic related powers? Can she cast spells? Is she invulnerable to it's use? How about chemical weapons? In the mid 2000s in an issue of Brave and the Bold, she seemed affected by some chemical weapon or other, not killed, but certainly temporarily stopped, but I don't know if that was a one off or not. What about sickness, can she get sick?

Rebirth (WW #6) had her blessed by Hera, Demeter, Aphrodite, Artemis, Athena, Hermes, and Hephaistos. In WW #12 she then explores the powers of strength (Demeter), speed & flight (Hermes), and communication with animals (Artemis). It's not clear what Hera, Aphrodite, Athena, and Hephaistos gifted her with, though there might be some hints in some other stories.

Pérez had her blessed by Demeter, Aphrodite, Artemis, Athena, Hestia, and Hermes.

Wonder Woman By George Perez v1-030.jpg

Other takes have done other variations. Diana in the current JLD has used spells, but seems to prefer not to. She's certainly one of the hardest to affect with magic (though not impervious, as the current JLD demonstrates).

Gas is an open question. The movie has her unaffected, but WW #14 by Rucka leaves it open.

If I were the editor of Wonder Woman, I'd ask the current writer to pitch a six-story arc with each story going into and showcasing the powers Diana received from Demeter, Aphrodite, Artemis, Athena, Hestia, and Hermes (open for continuation with Hera and Hephaistos, as per Rucka). No reason for them to be connected—this is only there to give a strong exploration of Diana's power sets and possibly her relation to each of the patrons.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])