Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Because New 52 Superman is alive?
    Okay so then...
    - Superman is still dating Wonder Woman and recently returned from space after being cured of Doomsday virus
    - Lana and Steel stays in Lana's old home in Smallville as a couple
    - Dick Grayson is still a secret agent, just finished with his initial mission and Spyral becomes good
    - Batman and The Joker died in their Endgame and resurrected but lost their memories
    - Convergence Earth dissolved/evolved into the current universe
    - Earth-2 inhabitants just reached the new Earth and were about to rebuild their home
    - Donna Troy was imprisoned in Olympus for murdering Male Amazons
    - Diana is still God of War
    - Starfire is still with the Outlaws
    - Luthor is still in the League, making a bargain with Owlman
    - Damian Wayne is recently resurrected
    Things that don't exist
    - Mr. Oz
    - Convergence Post Crisis Super Family
    - Titans the group. The individuals still exist except for Wally and maybe Gnarrk

Convergence would've already happened, it's only just finished, and since those old Earths and Earth-2 won't interact anymore with the main Earth, their existence is irrelevant. They can disappear or stay there, it doesn't matter.
    Damn... I want to read it so bad now...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Damn... I want to read it so bad now...
    I think I could say that about almost every era.

Many ideas were never explored. When the next 'crisis' occurred, those ideas were just left on the table.

For example, Zero Hour introduced an alternate Earth where Joker shot Jim Gordon and not Barbara. Harvey Dent (not Two-Face) replaced the deceased James Gordon as Commissioner and outlawed all vigilantes. An interesting take on Gotham City.

Soooooo having all these Earths is a good thing?? It all makes my head hurt. I used to think Marvel got confusing sometimes with their parallel worlds. This makes them look like amateurs! I’m sure I can enjoy without diving into that deep water though.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Soooooo having all these Earths is a good thing?? It all makes my head hurt. I used to think Marvel got confusing sometimes with their parallel worlds. This makes them look like amateurs! I’m sure I can enjoy without diving into that deep water though.
    Well, it's not like they all have an ongoing series at the same time. Most of the time and most of the publication is still dedicated to the main Earth.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    It is good thing,if they ever decide to publish something about the goldenage guy or silverage guy and have it be canon. As much as i love superman smashes the klan, i wish it was published in the main line for a different earth.And I am not stuck with current superman. I don't particularly have an affinity for the current superman who is postcrisis version.
    It helps for characters with different versions. For characters, like batman it might not. Unless ofcourse there is some earth with adam west batman and tone.

You mean like Batman '66?
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I just realized that what Johns did in DClock is not that different than a tongue in cheek "suggestion" I gave on this forums a while ago. I'm fine with that.

I also just now realized that, intentionally or not, it references anoter Alan Moore story: Supreme. I'm ok with that as well.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Ultimately, the only reason I care if a world is in the Orrery or not is that the current take on things is that worlds in the Orrery are sheltered from the deleterious effects of the Dark Multiverse by virtue of being in the Orrery, and that their position in the Orrery affects their metaphysical nature
    Where has this been suggested? The way I understand it the Worlds of the Orrery are "simply" the most stable worlds from the Dark Multiverse that rise into the regular multiverse.

With the Metaverse revelation I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't make more sense if the growth of the Multiverse that Dr. Manhattan talks about is not just the "local" Multiverse but the greater Multiverse, as Earth-1985 does not really work without it's corresponding Earth-2. So maybe the growth of the Multiverse happens on a higher plane as what is created is not just new Earths in the Multiverse but new "local" Multiverses that correspond to the point in time where the split is taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    Where has this been suggested? The way I understand it the Worlds of the Orrery are "simply" the most stable worlds from the Dark Multiverse that rise into the regular multiverse.
    Mostly from interviews with Morrison discussing the Map. He pointed out that you could think of the Orrery of Worlds kind of like an organism with each Earth in the structure having a role to play in the overall functioning of the system. So yeah, it's true that the worlds of Orrery are the most stable worlds to rise from the Dark Multiverse; but they're not simply that. Furthermore, the whole point of Metal was that the worlds of the Dark Multiverse can't rise into the Orrery and gain stability without displacing worlds in the Orrery.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    With the Metaverse revelation I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't make more sense if the growth of the Multiverse that Dr. Manhattan talks about is not just the "local" Multiverse but the greater Multiverse, as Earth-1985 does not really work without its corresponding Earth-2. So maybe the growth of the Multiverse happens on a higher plane as what is created is not just new Earths in the Multiverse but new "local" Multiverses that correspond to the point in time where the split is taking place.
    Possible — though instead of going into the greater Multiverse, as you put it, I'm more inclined to just view the local Multiverse as having layers to it, where previous iterations exist a step removed from the dynamism of the current layer: a sort of opposite of the Dark Multiverse. In the Dark Multiverse, everything's chaotic as worlds are born and decay or die with alarming frequency. In the layers “above” the current DCU, you have the opposite problem: the worlds have been preserved, “archived”, etc., and are in no danger of decaying and fasting away; but “preserved” and “archived” are words that we use to describe things that don't change. It may well be that in these previous iterations of the Metaverse, time has essentially stopped and everyone is just living out the same routine over and over again — not quite like Groundhog's Day, but more like the first season of Once Upon a Time: people living out the same routine day after day for years, without anything interesting happening.

Chaos below, stasis above; only on the boundary between the two do you have both stability and growth.

I tend to think that the “greater Multiverse” should largely be thought of in terms of other publishers: the worlds that you find out there correspond directly to stories published and owned by companies or individuals other than DC and therefore are unlikely to ever interact with anything in there local Multiverse: things like the Marvel Multiverse or the Shattered Image, for instance; or lone worlds like the Agents of THUNDER, Milestone, or even the Dark Knight universe (which got ejected from the Local Multiverse during Flashpoint).
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Every era has its warts. I can see removing Titans Hunt, Superman: Lois & Clark, and the Last Days of Superman story arc from Earth 52, because they're transitionary stories that helped set up Rebirth. But like it or not, Forever Evil and DCYou are part of the era that Earth 52 represents.

Of course, with Hypertime you can always have your own private Earth that's tailored just how you like it…
    Honestly, their hands wouldn't even be tied that much. What I mean is, if they wanted to go back to Earth 52, they could make the cut-off point anywhere they wanted. They could indeed cut out DCYou. Hell they could conceiveably cut off everything after Morrison's Superman if they REALLY wanted to. How? You just contrive some explanation that another set of tinkering went on around whatever time they wanted the cut-off to be.

Not saying it doesn't make the most sense to do the cut before Final Days and Superman getting sick. Just saying that they could make up something else on the fly to get the hypothetical desired result.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-24-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I just realized that what Johns did in DClock is not that different than a tongue in cheek "suggestion" I gave on this forums a while ago. I'm fine with that.

I also just now realized that, intentionally or not, it references anoter Alan Moore story: Supreme. I'm ok with that as well.
    DItto. Each earth is just a revision and the older earth became a depositary of a previous era. I'm fine with that.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

The main Earth gets revised and dumps old history via dividing.

True, as far as that goes. But take it one step further: the dumped history could in principle either be erased or preserved; DDC says that it gets preserved.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Spectacular Member

I liked OP's description of an antimatter Earth 3. If they would ever do that, it would be the perfect time to bring these guys to the comic world:
    https://dcau.fandom.com/wiki/Justice_Guild_of_America

Nice; I like!
    Rogue wears rouge.