Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I recall reading somewhere that DCU was practically finished and ready to launch when it was announced the AT&T purchase was going to finally close. Thus, WB/DC already had this service ready to go and they wanted to get it out there. AT&T brass thought it was odd they wouldn't wait, but it was too late to push the brakes from their side.

I have been saying and stand by the notion that DCU NEEDS to be a subset/division of HBO Max. It should be super simple and will expose all of the HBO Max subscribers to the DC brand. To me, it should be a no-brainer decision.

Launch HBO Max on your tv or other device > go to the icon for DC Universe

That's literally how it should be and I sincerely hope they end up going that route. That way comics are still available for those who want that, the animated shows, movies, etc. will still be there and then they can decide to keep originals on there that HBO Max subscribers can have access to.

Just do it AT&T.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    The shows may be good, but doesn't make it work keeping around for. Just migrate all the shows to Max and be done.

In fact, I'm guessing this may be why they've been slow with announcing Titans on HBO Max. Titans was set up as being DCU's flagship show, and by announcing it as a Max Original, it'll be an admission of defeat. Might be a "wait until the time is right" thing.
    The reason why Titans isn't on HBO Max is because it's a Netflix show on international markets. The competition got the streaming rights outside the US. That's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The reason why Titans isn't on HBO Max is because it's a Netflix show on international markets. The competition got the streaming rights outside the US. That's a problem.
    And it’s not the case in the US, the primary audience. Anyways, word is, it’s only a matter of time before it ends up on Max so just wait. They probably need to let the contract expire in the worst case.

I got the service as much for the access to the digital library of comics as I did for the library of tv and movie content, so even though the new content may be migrating elsewhere a bit at a time the access to the digital library of comics is worth it to me, and I long wanted a DC equivalent to Marvel Unlimited (which I also subscribe to) before DCU was launched, so no I do not think it is time to shut it down as the service still provides me with something I wanted and of value to me. In fact, if they were to split off the comics form the other media, I would probably subscribe to the service that offered the comics and not to the one that offered the other media.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    And it’s not the case in the US, the primary audience. Anyways, word is, it’s only a matter of time before it ends up on Max so just wait. They probably need to let the contract expire in the worst case.
    Yeah, the Netflix thing is irrelevant because HBO Max is only in the US anyway, same as DC Universe is. This isn't like Disney+, which IS launching internationally and will be missing content at launch due to others such as Netflix still having the rights to programmes.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm mad they let DCU go out like this, it could be so much more.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'm in Australia, so don't have access to it, so can someone explain why they don't have everything DC related on there??
    Smallville, Super Friends, all the old 60s and 70s stuff PLUS all the animated DC TV shows, movies and shorts.
    All the DC movies. The CW stuff.
    Surely DC/WB could get it done?
    Have all that content PLUS comics and new releases - I'd be on that thing 24/7.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

BANNED

You milk things until its gone.

It's gonna be absorbed into HBO Max. The writing is on the wall. Besides GL Corps ending up on HBO Max and Sandman ending up at Netflix, Doom Patrol only got a second season because HBO agreed to co-fund it, and Stargirl airing on The CW despite being initially announced as a DCU exclusive is likely due to a similar funding deal. The subscriber base just isn't high enough to justify spending that kind of cash on it (hence why Swamp Thing got axed when those tax breaks fell through), and HBO Max will likely have a lot more paying subscribers.
    Last edited by Holt; 12-15-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

I'm on it daily, but more for the comics than the streaming. Obviously, I'm a big fan of the service. As long as it is profitable, they should keep it. Worst case scenario, keep it as DC's version of Marvel Unlimited and cut the price a bit. Go away in its entirety? I would hope not!

Cut out all the tv shows and movies.
    Just keep the comics on there.

They've made too much work getting all the comics from Comixology on there.
    It would be a waste to discontinue the comics side while Marvel still would have theirs.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-14-2019 at 06:47 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I'm in Australia, so don't have access to it, so can someone explain why they don't have everything DC related on there??
    Smallville, Super Friends, all the old 60s and 70s stuff PLUS all the animated DC TV shows, movies and shorts.
    All the DC movies. The CW stuff.
    Surely DC/WB could get it done?
    Have all that content PLUS comics and new releases - I'd be on that thing 24/7.
    To the best of my knowledge, it's mostly because Warner Brothers/DC already had contracts with different distributors before DCUniverse (the service) came into being.

The movies by Warner Brothers are tied to the contracts they have as far as WB movies go. Everything by WB goes to HBO first. This was grandfathered in when DCUniverse began and likely won't change anytime because it's governed by WB and covers all their movies, not just the DC stuff.

The CW has the distribution rights for all the shows currently on their network. Just like ABC, CBS or NBC would. They made a deal with Netflix to distribute the shows digitally.
    Even though they are DC characters and DC shows, they were sold to CW to be aired. DCUniverse would need to negotiate with CW, just like any other streaming service, to get the rights to air the shows.
    The contract with Netflix most likely covers more than just the DC shows, and those other shows would be of no interest to DCUniverse.
    If/when CW's contract with Netflix ends, DCUniverse could make a bid, just like anyone else.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Mm... I don't think it needs to be shut down, but since exclusivity is going away, they need to rethink it. I use the service mostly for comics (even got a cheap tablet just for them) BUT the rotating video content is hurting them. That needs to be expanded to everything to justify the subscription for most.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, the Netflix thing is irrelevant because HBO Max is only in the US anyway, same as DC Universe is. This isn't like Disney+, which IS launching internationally and will be missing content at launch due to others such as Netflix still having the rights to programmes.
    Actually, HBO Max is launching internationally but that comes later. I don't think international streaming rights to Titans will impact US ones, and it's likely a timed deal like in most cases anyways.

Yeah it's obvious that this streaming app will die, although I think it would be smart for DC to keep it and turn it into Marvel Unlimited, but I also think they should keep it as is, kind of; have all the dc comics, have all the animated and live action shows and movies, so it remains a dc comics library for everything dc; but no more original shows, with the only original content being produced is DC Daily with longer interviews with creators and stuff, they should also produce official podcasts, and do things similar to that Wolverine podcast that Marvel did.

I could see a HBOMax bundle with DCuniverse app if it's something like that.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-15-2019 at 02:59 AM.