Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Retired

In Canada, I can't get the DC Universe service unless I buy a VPN. Or if they made DCU available in Canada, then I'd get it. And the only reason I'd do that would be to get the comic books--I can get the TV shows through other channels. The thing that worries me about DC Universe being rolled into HBO Max is what happens to the comic books. HBO Max is for video content--not comic books. Ideally DC would make the comic books available on their own and available to everyone in the world--but the economics for that might be unsustainable without piggy-backing onto something else.

Well, they obviously won't be teaming up with Disney...

Anyway, if Marvel Unlimited can survive with just comics, why can't DC Universe?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The simplest answer is that they were fucking idiotic in focusing only on the USA market.

They lost my cash that way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Harley Quinn episodes are being released on YouTube after the DCU debut.
    Factually incorrect. Only the pilot episode of Harley Quinn is on YouTube, in order to promote the show. And even then it's probably only temporary. They did the same thing with Doom Patrol earlier this year.

Still, why do facts matter, when you have a narrative to promote? Anyway it's a be careful what you wish for situation with you wishing for the service to shutter. Is there any indication that HBO Max wants the animated shows (Young Justice, Harley Quinn) on their service? If not, then kiss them goodbye as there is no other market for action and/or adult oriented animated shows of their nature elsewhere. And the comics, too. I mean the service is cheaper than it's Marvel equivalent and you get a bunch of shows and movies to boot. I highly doubt that HBO Max will add comic viewing to it's feature's, so there goes DC's (cheaper) equivalent to Marvel Unlimited, something DC fans including here were supposedly clamoring for so long.

Who cares if some the shows have to co-financed or not with other WB networks? You get a comic reader app that's cheaper than it's Marvel equivalent and in which you can also watch old shows and movies as well as some new originals. Sounds like better value than Marvel Unlimited, wich only has comics , and for a higher price. If you're so confident that HBO Max will simply show all the DC Universe shows anyway (Doom Patrol is the only one they're actually confirmed to be showing btw; No info on the rest), then simply get a subscription for that and leave DC Universe alone. I don't understand the mindset that it needs to be shuttered even if all it's shows are being shown elsewhere (Which they aren't for the moment). What harm does it do to you, if the people who want DC reader app also get to watch DC shows and movies, even if they're e not exclusive to the app?

Quote Originally Posted by Tec15 View Post
    Factually incorrect. Only the pilot episode of Harley Quinn is on YouTube, in order to promote the show. And even then it's probably only temporary. They did the same thing with Doom Patrol earlier this year.

Still, why do facts matter, when you have a narrative to promote? Anyway it's a be careful what you wish for situation with you wishing for the service to shutter. Is there any indication that HBO Max wants the animated shows (Young Justice, Harley Quinn) on their service? If not, then kiss them goodbye as there is no other market for action and/or adult oriented animated shows of their nature elsewhere. And the comics, too. I mean the service is cheaper than it's Marvel equivalent and you get a bunch of shows and movies to boot. I highly doubt that HBO Max will add comic viewing to it's feature's, so there goes DC's (cheaper) equivalent to Marvel Unlimited, something DC fans including here were supposedly clamoring for so long.

Who cares if some the shows have to co-financed or not with other WB networks? You get a comic reader app that's cheaper than it's Marvel equivalent and in which you can also watch old shows and movies as well as some new originals. Sounds like better value than Marvel Unlimited, wich only has comics , and for a higher price. If you're so confident that HBO Max will simply show all the DC Universe shows anyway (Doom Patrol is the only one they're actually confirmed to be showing btw; No info on the rest), then simply get a subscription for that and leave DC Universe alone. I don't understand the mindset that it needs to be shuttered even if all it's shows are being shown elsewhere (Which they aren't for the moment). What harm does it do to you, if the people who want DC reader app also get to watch DC shows and movies, even if they're e not exclusive to the app?
    That was my bad, but hey, way to be accusatory. It also doesn't devalue the rest of what I said.

Why wouldn't they want more content on the service? I don't even know what you're getting at. The reason I want DC Universe to shut down is simple: It's a bad value! It's not worth the money! It's also not worth putting original shows on there just to die. They can reach a far greater audience on HBO Max which will be so much bigger and the focus of WarnerMedia. It's that simple. If they saw the value in Doom Patrol, they probably see the value in the others. Young Justice and Harley Quinn will easily be able to fit on HBO Max, because they have a massive backlog of animation, and hell, they even have an original action show (Gen:Lock) and an adult show (Boondocks) in the pipeline.

DC Universe can stay as a comics app for all I care. It's all it should've been. Don't expect it to stick forever -- they've already been shutting down services to make room for Max, and are streamlining everything to avoid redundancy. DC Universe as a media streamer won't last.

Quote Originally Posted by Tec15 View Post
    Who cares if some the shows have to co-financed or not with other WB networks?
    That was brought up in reference to the state of the app. The reason they got co-financing partners in exchange for showing those shows on other stations/platforms is a simple dollars and cents issue. The user base on the app wasn't big enough to justify fully funded new seasons, so a deal was brokered to get them on venues with more eyeballs attached. Hence why people are speculating that the shows will eventually just be outright folded into HBO Max.

Is there any indication that HBO Max wants the animated shows (Young Justice, Harley Quinn) on their service?
    Is there any reason to assume they wouldn't? That has an even higher chance of happening since unlike Disney+ (which is very family friendly), HBO Max will already have a lot of content aimed at older viewers. Hell, one of their big selling points was having Game of Thrones and Sex & The City on the app.
    Last edited by Holt; 12-16-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Yeah, I don't get why he even asked that as if they wouldn't. The HBO Max backlog is absolutely massive. It features just about everything they can legally stream, so of course they would want those shows. Especially since they're well-liked and big draws that would make the service even more appealing.

Extraordinary Member

Dcuniverse is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    How is DC Universe awesome? I explained why it isn't, and I feel pretty sure saying that seeing as how I was once paying for the damn thing.
    I am tired of fear mongering. And I don’t have the patience for that essay

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Is there any reason to assume they wouldn't? That has an even higher chance of happening since unlike Disney+ (which is very family friendly), HBO Max will already have a lot of content aimed at older viewers. Hell, one of their big selling points was having Game of Thrones and Sex & The City on the app.
    Also, they do have Cartoon Network shows on there, so they're not averse to animation.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

No, along with comics library, maybe they can create short animated series like the DC Nation types and short animated movies like DC showcase ones

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    No, along with comics library, maybe they can create short animated series like the DC Nation types and short animated movies like DC showcase ones

Oh, I'd love that. I loved them all, but think The Spectre's might have been my fave.

They bloody better not shut down DCUniverse, I love it, I get so much use out of it! No matter how much great content HBO Max or whatever has, it'll still be twice the price with no comics!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Incredible Member

DCU Streaming serves as a place where ALL the DC content can exist, even after a show is "retired"; "current" content can still be shown on other services until they run their course. In fact, I picture "Arrow" and "Lucifer" being warehoused on the site in the not-too-distant future.