• ★ ★ ★ ★

3 21.43%
  • ★ ★ ★

0 0%
  • ★ ★

0 0%
  • 6 42.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gwenpool Strikes Back [05]: Home? (Review & Spoilers)

The most batshit issue of the year, easily. Anyway, here’s the summary:

Gwenpool traps Punisher in an endless loop of entrapment via bedbees. You’ve gotta read it to know how to even crack the surface of lucidity.

Back to the main plot going on, Gwenpool recognizes this as her last issue and frees all the trapped heroes that are on her. The last two people left on the island are Gwenpool and Ms Marvel. Kamala doesn’t want to fight, but instead force Gwen to confront her very manic behavior over the course of this mini. She tries to dig into what exactly Gwen’s origins are to make sense of it all.

Is Gwen really from another world? Is she Inhuman? Is she an irradiated mutate? Human-passing alien?? Is she a mutant whose X-Gene activation altered her state of consciousness and drove her into a deep disassociation/detachment from reality, leading her to believe she’s in a comic book world? No. But Kamala’s just unknowingly given her a brand new origin that Gwen’s unknowingly retconned.

Gwen forfeits the entire game, leaving Kamala the winner. Sullen and nihilistic, Gwen escapes to the whitespace in the margins of the comic book where she looks over the events of her mini and entire fictional chronology. She gives up, feeling that no one would miss her. She’s even considering wasting the rest of the pages cause she’s just so tired. But, sitting on some of the final pages, a bunch of flowers shower her. She looks to see a Krakoan Gate!!! She steps onto Krakoa where she’s welcomed by Wolverine and Kid Omega. She reunites with Quentin (just platonically, tho) who happily welcomes her. She excitedly goes back to the Gutter Space where she sees her limitless, new potential stories. Gwenpool “future-proofs” herself for future writers by using a data page to streamline her origins, personality, friends, crushes, enemies, family, and potential new mutant powers? She also apologizes for not being able to be her cheery self because of the grim circumstances. But a new dawn awaits her on the mutant homeland....

god damn
    I love the meta about the returning popularity of making everyone mutants like it used to be pre-Fox. Also commenting on the breadth of stories that Krakoa provides now

So gwenpool can use the gates, but not Kitty hummmmm

Yeah, which means that she has indeed been retconned as a mutant. And Kitty may well have been retconned to NOT be one. I'm sure we'll see that explored as Marauders progresses.

I did notice a mistake in this issue. One of the "flashbacks" to Gwen's past shows her sewing her costume... but she didn't make it herself, she went to a tailor.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, which means that she has indeed been retconned as a mutant. And Kitty may well have been retconned to NOT be one. I'm sure we'll see that explored as Marauders progresses.

I did notice a mistake in this issue. One of the "flashbacks" to Gwen's past shows her sewing her costume... but she didn't make it herself, she went to a tailor.
    Yeah, the tailor was kind of a big part of the first series.

Now I'm wondering if she'll be in Leah's upcoming series then

So Gwenpool isn't from our earth anymore? just a mutant now? not a fan o this
    Last edited by spirit2011; 12-18-2019 at 07:10 AM.

The thing I liked was that Krakoan gates could appear in the white space between pages. Which means I'm now going to be waiting for a Krakoan gate to appear in my room while I'm reading comics.

Even non-mutants can use Krakoan Gates. That isn’t the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    So Gwenpool isn't from out earth anymore? just a mutant now? not a fan o this
    No, she retconed her own origins. Means she’s both.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Even non-mutants can use Krakoan Gates. That isn’t the problem.

No, she retconed her own origins. Means she’s both.
    In-universe, she is now considered (arguably) a mutant.

Meta-wise, she still "knows" she's from our real world, only that she has chosen to become an Earth-616 character "permanently" (after Doc Strange severed her link to "reality" back in "Unbelievable" because maintaining a life history in two worlds was killing her).
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

https://handaxe.tumblr.com/post/1852...-absolute-favs

I guess this question is a lot more loaded now.

Quote Originally Posted by Leah of House Williams
    What X-Men would be Gwenpool’s absolute favs:
    (i’m taking “x-men,” to mean, like, “characters appearing in x-men stuff” and not just exclusively members of x-men teams)

Storm
    BOBBY
    Storm, again
    Jubes
    Nightcrawler
    Gambit
    Rogue
    Juggernaut, but ironically
    Quentin
    Sam Guthrie
    Dazzler
    Sage
    Maggott
    Rictor
    ooh, haha you know what? Frenzy
    Polaris
    Logan. and he’d love her too, a lot. he’d do his “have you met my newest adopted lesbian daughter” routine with her

Which ones would be her best friends?

Magik
    Domino
    Jubes
    Boom Boom
    Bling
    Hope
    Rachel
    Gabby
    Laura
    Broo
    Quentin
    early Kitty
    Eye-Boy
    Pixie
    Meggan

What X-Men would probably hate her after ten minutes of being near her?
    the telepaths (except Rachel)

Cyclops
    Chamber
    Northstar
    Quentin (it’s canon lmao, don’t fight me)
    current Kitty
    both Betsy

AND Kwannon

a fourth category that i’m adding because they didn’t feel right in the three previous ones:
    What X-men wouldn’t hate Gwenpool, but would find her presence bewildering and possibly just too overwhelming/too much to deal with?

Colossus
    Marrow
    Cecilia Reyes
    Hellion
    Magneto
    Angel
    Legion
    Husk
    Nature Girl
    Blob
    Brian Braddock
    Daken
    Beast
    Bishop
    Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    In-universe, she is now considered (arguably) a mutant.

Meta-wise, she still "knows" she's from our real world, only that she has chosen to become an Earth-616 character "permanently" (after Doc Strange severed her link to "reality" back in "Unbelievable" because maintaining a life history in two worlds was killing her).
    Yeah, basically this. She’s got reality warping powers akin to HoM!Scarlet Witch and retconned her own origins by accident. With Doctor Strange and Ms Marvel’s help, she’s just your run-of-the-mill mutant. Except when she’s not. Marvel, JDW, LW, and Gwenpool all got to have their cake and eat it.

You know, given the nature of Reality Warping made Gwenpool a mutant, this raises some questions to Scarlet Witch and her status as mutant or not mutant being a subconscious reality warp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post

Curious that the movement is from right to left… it would have been more natural from left to right. And the character didn't even changed of position in the panels… for a movement, it's quite static.
    Last edited by Zelena; 12-18-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

What in the nittiest of picks-

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Wow, making her a mutant actually made this comic for me lol