All-New Member

Question Significance of the Hellfire Club's Color/Rank-Titles

Hey All,

I have a question about the color/rank-titles of the inner circle. For the sake of the question, let's just use black and white as the colors.

Is there any significance to the black and white titles---i.e. Black King, White Queen, Black Queen, Black Bishop, etc.---or is it just a title? I would think that the different colors would be representative of two factions with different goals and ideologies jockeying for power, but I can't seem to find any explanation. Does anyone know and what storylines/issue explain or feature this?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you already know that the titles are taken from Chess.

Are you asking what distinguishes a knight from a bishop or a rook?

I can't say that ever was explained, except for hierarchy. Like, a Rook has less seniority than a Knight that has less than a Bishop, but who knows?

All-New Member

I do know that the titles are derived from Chess. I'm not asking about rank-order or jobs of the pieces, like a bishop might be a consiglieri to the king, or a knight might be the head of security, etc.

What I was asking about is do the black and white represent internal factions batting each other for power, much like political parties, but with byzantine machinations and intrigue.