3 2.94%
  • Thor (Jane Foster)

19 18.63%
  • Voyager

5 4.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb New character of the decade

Now that the year is ending, let's decide the best new character of the decade. The poll only allows 15 options, so I will left out the ones who are simply a regular character with a new identity (such as Sam Wilson as Captain America); reimaginations (such as Spider Gwen or Old Man Logan) can pass. I made an exception with Jane Foster because it's closer to a whole reimagination, and the original five because time travel turned them into characters of their own.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Ms. Marvel. Wonderful character, fantastic series and so much.

Miles Morales would be close but he loses due to his series not being as strong as Kamala's could get.

Gwenpool really surprised me. I thought that she would just be another attempt to capitalize off of Wade's success, but her meta sense of humor is actually more of an evolution of Deadpool's, rather than an attempt to copy it. Not to mention, as opposed to Wade, she actually has depth and nuance.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Spider-Gwen is the character I've enjoyed the most then Jane Foster Thor and Miles Morales.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

The fact that Marvel was able to invent/push characters and have them be successful despite the loud noise coming from the haters shows that their risk taking has paid off and that legacy characters aren't the end all be all.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Miles and Kamala are top tier picks
    Lady Thor and Carol Danvers’ elevation to Captain Marvel are second.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

IMO the trouble with that list is that most them are spin offs of legacy characters or taking the mantle of one. Very few are originals.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-15-2019 at 06:19 PM.

BANNED

Miles 100% of the way. Into the Spider-Verse is AMAZING(pun intended).

No love for Gabby?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    IMO the trouble with that list is that most themare spin offs of legacy characters or taking the mantle of one. Very few are originals.
    Which is probably why they are notable enough to actually be on this list.

As much as readers insist legacy characters are bad and that new characters cut from original cloth are preferable, pretty much none of them get any traction whenever Marvel (or DC) tries. It's why characters like Kamala Khan and Miles Morales have become reasonably popular while I'm sure in a few years people are gonna struggle to remember who the hell Mosaic was.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I voted for Gwenpool and Jane's Thor, because their debut books were the most enjoyable reads for me.

Miles and Kamala are leaving everyone else in the poll in the dust. They're definitely the most successful anyway. Miles already had a movie and Kamala's getting a TV show, and both are also all over the cartoons. Third place currently is Jane, whose Thor identity is also going to be added to the MCU soon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It is me or most of these new characters are just variations of old characters. Miss Marvel takes my vote for originality points.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

I don't even know why characters like the teen versions of Jean, Cyclops, and Cable are on here they're just younger versions of characters that have been around for decades, pretty much the same thing for Old Man Logan and heck he debuted in 2008 so he's not even a new character of this decade anyway.

But on to question, Kamala like it's not even close, her only real competitor is Miles and the only noteworthy thing he's been the focus of was last year's Spider-Verse and that pretty much needed rewrite the character into actually being interesting.