Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post

Um, what?
    Where the two of you seem to want to say "Well, It's Not Really That..." when it comes to straight up textbook macho, alpha male behavior.

Meanwhile, a role that has literally just been cast?

What may come of it is the issue.

I'm just not seeing where this is bound to be the worst possible potential version of what it could wind up being based on two words in a blurb.

Just feels like there is some "Reading Into It..." going on.

Is he the CW guy?
    He has shows on other networks, but...yeah.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Folks, this is a Greg Berlanti show. When it comes to showrunners you should avoid, he is up there with Alex Kurtzman. Hal Jordan and John Stewart fans, you dodged a bullet.
    Yeah we did lol.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if Hal shows up at some point to get Parallax'd. I'd rather he be left out if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    What the two of you are doing?

Anyone could do the same when it comes to a character who has yet to commit so much as a single frame to film.

The idea that this will be something without the "Well, but..." that was just mentioned?

I'm just not buying it based on a single phrase in a single blurb.
    I have to echo Mik here. I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make, or what bringing DCEU Aquaman into it is meant to accomplish. Are you basically saying "wait and see?"

Because I've never had an issue with the show centering on Guy or how we will likely be portrayed. I thought I was pretty clear in my posts. it's the general stance some have that "alpha" can have a positive spin on it at this point in general that I'm debating. If they are adapting Guy properly, he's going to be deliberately unlikable to a degree, at least at first.

Where the two of you seem to want to say "Well, It's Not Really That..." when it comes to straight up textbook macho, alpha male behavior.

I'm just not seeing where this is bound to be the worst possible potential version of what it could wind up being based on two words in a blurb.

Again, not seeing we're you're getting that I'm reading anything into the Guy role stuff specifically, because I've already said this:

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Guy usually gets challenged on it though, if not outright humiliated and taken down some pegs ("one punch.") So if they do their job right, I wouldn't worry about this attitude of Guy's being glorified too much
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 05-02-2021 at 04:02 PM.

Ultimate Member

Maybe I am reading too much into things. My definition of alpha might be different. I'm just pointing out the things I'm wary of watching

He has shows on other networks, but...yeah.
    Ok. I'm not sure I want CW soap opera nonsense in this

I have to echo Mik here. I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make, or what bringing DCEU Aquaman into it is meant to accomplish. Are you basically saying "wait and see?"

Plainest way that I can think to put it?

I just can't see rationalizing straight up textbook macho meathead behavior(Aquaman...) while looking at a phrase that could mean anything when the rubber actually hits the road and seeing anything like a legitimate issue.

Not so much "Wait, And See..." as "How Did Anyone Divine Exactly What 'Alpha Male...' Means In This Instance?..."

Plainest way that I can think to put it?

I just can't see rationalizing straight up textbook macho meathead behavior(Aquaman...) while looking at a phrase that could mean anything when the rubber actually hits the road and seeing anything like a legitimate issue.

Not so much "Wait, And See..." as "How Did Anyone Divine Exactly What 'Alpha Male...' Means In This Instance?..."
    Sorry, that's still not very plain.

Because what is "This Instance?" The instance of the description of Guy, or the initial discussion with Immortal Weapon on not wanting to retire the "alpha male" term? Because it seems like you are mixing two things together, and I've already pointed out where I think the trajectory with Guy is going.

And I'd need a better example of "textbook macho meathead behavior" from Aquaman besides he drinks at a bar sometimes.

Sorry, that's still not very plain.

Because what is "This Instance?" The instance of the description of Guy, or the initial discussion with Immortal Weapon on not wanting to retire the "alpha male" term? Because it seems like you are mixing two things together, and I've already pointed out where I think the trajectory with Guy is going.

And I'd need a better example of "textbook macho meathead behavior" from Aquaman besides he drinks at a bar sometimes.
    Guy in the context we know that the show will be taking place in.

If the "Eighties Alpha Male..." we'll eventually see is along the lines of Pete Mitchell?

That is not really "Apples..."/"Apples..." with it eventually being more like Blain Cooper.

One of them is just kinda "Really?...", while the other is a situation where I could completely see someone taking issue with it.

As for Aquaman?

No biggie if we just agree to disagree. Where I see "Chugs A Whole 'Gunther...'-Sized Mug..." as pretty squarely in "Actually Problematic Macho Garbage That Surely Trumps A Phrase..."?

I get that not everyone does see it that way.

Moving on, who do you think they'll cast for the voice of the greatest Green Lantern of them all? Mogo!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Folks, this is a Greg Berlanti show. When it comes to showrunners you should avoid, he is up there with Alex Kurtzman. Hal Jordan and John Stewart fans, you dodged a bullet.
    He's a producer not a showrunner. He's name is on every live action DC property that's on TV right now. Last I checked Doom Patrol, and Star Girl isn't ass and he has his name on it. Stop being an alarmist.

Ultimate Member

As long as there's no awful whiny romance and soapy tropes!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Moving on, who do you think they'll cast for the voice of the greatest Green Lantern of them all? Mogo!
    Keith David would be dope

Keith David would be dope
    ...yes! Keith David has a great voice, been a fan ever since I was a kid watching Goliath on Gargoyles. He also did the voice of The Center/dinosaur island in the animated adaptation of Justice League: The New Frontier so he's done some DC work before.

Astonishing Member

As long as there's no awful whiny romance and soapy tropes!
    Green Lantern Corps screams space opera/soapy tropes to me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Green Lantern Corps screams space opera/soapy tropes to me.
    Space opera, yeah, but no love triangles, or toxic romances, or "will they/won't they" nonsense!

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.