Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Um, I'm not quite following you. Are you saying the "alpha male" behavior was less problematic than other problems of those times?
    About the clearest way that I can think to frame it...

Let's say they go for the "2021..." version of "Alpha Male..."

Whatever that is, will it actually look anything like when they cable installer is over in The Wild Life?

Because to me?

Even though I legitimately believe that Cameron Crowe isn't trying to romanticize or excuse "Alpha Male..." types(if anything, I think that the scene is poking fun...), that's sort of where my "Well, This Could Be An Issue..." starts.

The guys in something like Top Gun(which is where I suspect this will land...)?

That version of "Alpha Male..." is honestly about as problematic as someone is looking to make it.

Ultimate Member

I've never seen The Wild Life. I have seen Top Gun and the main guy did come off like a jerk for a while.

I've never seen The Wild Life. I have seen Top Gun and the main guy did come off like a jerk for a while.
    While it's minus them yelling "Blow Him Away!!!..." at the Clint Eastwood flick, you get about what you need to get from this clip...

Past that?

See how "Well, He Was Kind Of A Jerk..." is your take on one of the versions of "Alpha Male..."?

If that's about where this lands?

What's the big whoop?

Ultimate Member

Well, I don't really like heroes who are jerks and are never challenged on it. Especially when they think "That makes me a man!"

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Well, I don't really like heroes who are jerks and are never challenged on it. Especially when they think "That makes me a man!"
    Guy usually gets challenged on it though, if not outright humiliated and taken down some pegs ("one punch.") So if they do their job right, I wouldn't worry about this attitude of Guy's being glorified too much

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Guy usually gets challenged on it though, if not outright humiliated and taken down some pegs ("one punch.") So if they do their job right, I wouldn't worry about this attitude of Guy's being glorified too much
    Ok. I just hope he's not too bro-ish.

Ok. I just hope he's not too bro-ish.
    Isn't that what the character is?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Isn't that what the character is?
    Sorry, I meant boorish. I've heard he's supposed to be a caricature of cliche 80's heroes.

Just to point this out...

If you're being honest with yourself?

What are the odds that Guy will be any more "Alpha Male..." than current continuity Aquaman already is?

That the phrase is being used seems like about the only difference that I can see.

That said, I don't see many feathers getting ruffled about Aquaman. Meanwhile, the character is sitting in bars downing entire "Gunther..."-sized mugs of beer and staying in the bar until closing time.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That said, I don't see many feathers getting ruffled about Aquaman. Meanwhile, the character is sitting in bars downing entire "Gunther..."-sized mugs of beer and staying in the bar until closing time.
    That's not being an alpha male though - that's just being a drunk.

Ultimate Member

Just to point this out...

If you're being honest with yourself?

What are the odds that Guy will be any more "Alpha Male..." than current continuity Aquaman already is?

That the phrase is being used seems like about the only difference that I can see.

I don't think drinking equals alpha

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Because Aquaman is just masculine and cool, but doesn't act like an entitled alpha male jackass. Drinking beer does not automatically equate to that.

Folks, this is a Greg Berlanti show. When it comes to showrunners you should avoid, he is up there with Alex Kurtzman. Hal Jordan and John Stewart fans, you dodged a bullet.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-02-2021 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Seriously, Hal and John fans you should be grateful they aren't in this
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I don't think drinking equals alpha
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Because Aquaman is just masculine and cool, but doesn't act like an entitled alpha male jackass. Drinking beer does not automatically equate to that.
    What the two of you are doing?

Anyone could do the same when it comes to a character who has yet to commit so much as a single frame to film.

The idea that this will be something without the "Well, but..." that was just mentioned?

I'm just not buying it based on a single phrase in a single blurb.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Folks, this is a Greg Berlanti show. When it comes to showrunners you should avoid, he is up there with Alex Kurtzman. Hal Jordan and John Stewart fans, you dodged a bullet.
    Is he the CW guy?

What the two of you are doing?

Anyone could do the same when it comes to a character who has yet to commit so much as a single frame to film.

The idea that this will be something without the "Well, but..." that was just mentioned?

I'm just not buying it based on a single phrase in a single blurb.
    Um, what?