Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if the two GLs are not the expected ones.
    Would not shock me if it was Jessica & Jo (Far Sector).

The fact that Sinestro is a major character/villain tells me Hal is in the show, and John is the most logical pairing with him.
    Static Shock says HI-episode where it was Sinestro versus John Stewart.

"Spanning decades" also tells me it's Hal and John because they feel like the two GL's who have the most material to adapt across several decades.
    Hal does not John-most of his stuff has not sniff a trade or been referenced in years in terms of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Where they also gave John Hal's backstory with Sinestro.
    Hal does not John-most of his stuff has not sniff a trade or been referenced in years in terms of comics.
    But we also have all of John's years with the Corps. and his turbulent personal life, which leaves a lot of material to draw from.

DC / WB are making so many weird decisions regarding their characters.
    Green Lantern for MAX, but no movie. No GL for justice league, but instead cyborg(?) and not Stewart.
    Superman and Lois series, no Superman movie
    Titans on Streaming
    Produced Swamp Thing, one of the few well received shows, then cancel it.
    Reboot Batman
    Flash stops and starts every few months.
    Birds of Prey that's a Harley Quinn movie.
    Joker is not connected to the other movies.

What the heck is going on over there? They're making the strangest business and creative decisions regarding their properties. It's such a cluster$%#.

IF I want to watch all the superhero shows, how many different subscriptions would I need? 3 is it?(CW, DC Online, HBO MAX, and movies?) I feel sorry for all the dc fans.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    DC / WB are making so many weird decisions regarding their characters.
    Green Lantern for MAX, but no movie. No GL for justice league, but instead cyborg(?) and not Stewart.
    Superman and Lois series, no Superman movie
    Titans on Streaming
    Produced Swamp Thing, one of the few well received shows, then cancel it.
    Reboot Batman
    Flash stops and starts every few months.
    Birds of Prey that's a Harley Quinn movie.
    Joker is not connected to the other movies.

What the heck is going on over there? They're making the strangest business and creative decisions regarding their properties. It's such a cluster$%#.

IF I want to watch all the superhero shows, how many different subscriptions would I need? 3 is it?(CW, DC Online, HBO MAX, and movies?) I feel sorry for all the dc fans.
    HBO Max will have everything under the Warner media sun. DC fans will have everything in one place.

maklanist

HBO has picked up the show on its new streaming service HBO Max. can't compare it with Hulu live tv service. Berlanti will also produce an anthropology DC show entitled Strange Adventures.
    Last edited by maklanist; 02-16-2020 at 07:44 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Which doesn't paint a strong picture of the other Earth GLs if they have to poach Hal's stuff. Which isn't fair to either him or them.

Similar to Star Sapphire being Carol Ferris in JLU and her and John only shooting laser beams at each other because they typically have **** all to do with each other in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by maklanist View Post
    HBO has picked up the show on its new streaming service HBO Max. Berlanti will also produce an anthropology DC show entitled Strange Adventures.
    How do you do a DC anthropology show anyhow? An anthology series would have been a much better choice.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Spanning decades" also tells me it's Hal and John because they feel like the two GL's who have the most material to adapt across several decades.
    Counterpoint. If you are spanning several decades you could do Hal and Kyle. Juxtapose then rise and fall of Hal with Kyle assuming the “last lantern” role and then ending it with whether Hal’s death or redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Counterpoint. If you are spanning several decades you could do Hal and Kyle. Juxtapose then rise and fall of Hal with Kyle assuming the “last lantern” role and then ending it with whether Hal’s death or redemption.
    That's if the several decades means both protagonists are in different eras. Could be it's chronicling the story of two Lantern's concurrently.

Astonishing Member

The decades-spanning thing is definitely the most interesting aspect of this.

My personal preference would be for the two Earth GL's to be Hal and John.

And now here's the crazy idea. Hal would actually be from the 50's! He's the first human to become part of the Corps. He got the ring from Abin Sur in 1959. Between death, resurrection, lightspeed travel, wormholes and plain old longevity from the ring, he'd look like a 40-something, or maybe 50ish at most. He's a legendary figure, considered the 'greatest Green Lantern who ever lived' albeit one with a bit of a tainted legacy. And he's missing in the present-day...which sparks off the season-wide mystery.

John got the ring sometime in the early 2000's. He's a Marine who fought in Afghanistan. Hal is the one who recruited and trained him. Now, nearly two decades later, John is a veteran of the Corps and considered one of the greatest Green Lanterns in his own right. And he's the central protagonist in the present-day story, which could include other human and alien Lanterns like Kilowog, Katma Tui, Tomar Re, Jessica Cruz etc.

Basically, the show is split between a present-day story involving John and a team of GL's dealing with some mystery involving Hal, a 1950's/60's timeline involving the origins of Hal Jordan as a GL and his early encounters with Sinestro, and a 2000's timeline involving John Stewart's origins as GL and his relationship with Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    The decades-spanning thing is definitely the most interesting aspect of this.

My personal preference would be for the two Earth GL's to be Hal and John.

And now here's the crazy idea. Hal would actually be from the 50's! He's the first human to become part of the Corps. He got the ring from Abin Sur in 1959. Between death, resurrection, lightspeed travel, wormholes and plain old longevity from the ring, he'd look like a 40-something, or maybe 50ish at most. He's a legendary figure, considered the 'greatest Green Lantern who ever lived' albeit one with a bit of a tainted legacy. And he's missing in the present-day...which sparks off the season-wide mystery.

John got the ring sometime in the early 2000's. He's a Marine who fought in Afghanistan. Hal is the one who recruited and trained him. Now, nearly two decades later, John is a veteran of the Corps and considered one of the greatest Green Lanterns in his own right. And he's the central protagonist in the present-day story, which could include other human and alien Lanterns like Kilowog, Katma Tui, Tomar Re, Jessica Cruz etc.

Basically, the show is split between a present-day story involving John and a team of GL's dealing with some mystery involving Hal, a 1950's/60's timeline involving the origins of Hal Jordan as a GL and his early encounters with Sinestro, and a 2000's timeline involving John Stewart's origins as GL and his relationship with Hal.
    I definitely think, if Hal is in it, they're going to set his origin earlier then the modern day.

Which I guess would work with re-emphasizing his test pilot job.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I definitely think, if Hal is in it, they're going to set his origin earlier then the modern day.

Which I guess would work with re-emphasizing his test pilot job.
    True.

It would also allow them to be true to the character's Silver Age roots and allow him to be a throwback to an earlier era of comic-books...while letting the likes of John, Kyle, Jessica etc. be the 'modern' versions.

Actually, it'd be fun if they kept John from the 70s, Guy from the 80s and Kyle from the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Actually, it'd be fun if they kept John from the 70s, Guy from the 80s and Kyle from the 90s.
    And Simon and Jessica are the 2010's.

https://screenrant.com/green-lantern...ohns-berlanti/

Just went back to something we all missed.

So as it turns out, the famous Green Lantern architect Geoff Johns is going to be partnering with Berlanti to write and produce the Green Lantern series. I take it we can safely bet that Hal and John will be the human leads, and it will also take very heavily from Johns' iconic run on the franchise. To be fair, it wasn't unrealistic to expect it to be that in the first place, as it's been said that this is a cosmic-focused story and Johns' GL run is credited for helping to reestablish the cosmic mythos of DC and certainly for reinvented GL as a whole (whether fans like that or not). Not to mention that was the era of GL's biggest comic book popularity (there's a reason DC tried to start the DCEU with GL, even if the execution was horrible).

The fact that we have "two Earth-based Lanterns and Sinestro", with Johns at the pen, is just short of confirming who we can expect. The idea of using different Lanterns, like Simon and Jessica as Hal/John composites, sounds very unlikely.

I wonder, if they're taking after Johns' run, think we can expect the other Corps and groups? I mean, like the Red, Blue, Star Sapphire, Indigo, Sinestro, and Orange, and of course later with Black and White. Sounds logical, especially if we're going heavy on worldbuilding, to expect it. They just got to make sure not to do too much at once, but let it all flow naturally.

You could also introduce other cosmic factions and worlds to tie everything together, like The Reach (great way to tie into the rumored Blue Beetle series if they go there), the Thanagarians, the Manhunters, Kalandor (introducing Despero), and hell, they could introduce an offshoot of Kryptonian criminals who escaped the planet's destruction and have the Lanterns deal with Zod (something that recently happened in the comics).

Man, just going into how much potential this has gets me excited. We might have a real cosmic superhero epic on our hands, if they get it right. That's before you consider the idea of starting a new universe (such as tying the Blue Beetle show into this like I suggested).

Oh, and apparently a movie might still be a thing, they're trying to make it happen, but I kind of doubt it will. If the show takes off and is a huge killer app for HBO Max, it's hard to imagine a movie being made unless it shares the continuity with the show, or else it'd be redundant.

Anyways, what do you think?