Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Best ending of a Scary movie

What do you consider the BEST ending that has taken place in a scary movie?

Some endings are too depressing, make no sense, or are just too weird to accept.

What is the best ending in your opinion?

Incredible Member

Spoilers ahoy, I guess?

I'm not a big horror movie fan and I rather hate how most of them end badly. I mean, a movie, in general, should tell a good story, and an adventure story generally ends with the characters triumphing over evil. Horror movies can do that, getting you attached to the characters in the meantime, then "**** you!" and kill them all off.

Final Destination is a good example of this. Never bothered to watch the sequels. Same thing goes for Nightmare on Elm Street. The original is basically a cinematic masterpiece, but I would've liked a real happy ending.

I will admit Saw had a good ending, though. Never SAW it coming!

The original Halloween managed to have a good stinger without just killing the main characters. I liked just about everything about Halloween 2018, but I though the ending could have used a bit more of a definitive death for Michael, and a real conclusion. Then we could have avoided those two ridiculous sequels.

Not happy endings but good endings.

Original Night of the Living Dead, Romero's Dawn of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Carpenter's Halloween, Halloween 4 and H20 (Both had great endings ruined by the follow up films), 1970's Invasion of the Body Snatchers, & Poltergeist (The throwing the TV out always makes me laugh).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Not happy endings but good endings.

Original Night of the Living Dead, Romero's Dawn of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Carpenter's Halloween, Halloween 4 and H20 (Both had great endings ruined by the follow up films), 1970's Invasion of the Body Snatchers, & Poltergeist (The throwing the TV out always makes me laugh).
    Some of those are happy endings, though, especially Poltergeist.
    H20 is arguably "happy."
    Dawn of the Dead isn't exactly "happy," but at least ends on a note of hope. I do love it, just the acknowledging of how much fuel they've got and how far they can go, and that's all they can think about.

In the Mouth of Madness had a great one.

I'm also really fond of the twist at the end of Fallen.

"Best...", as in, what?

- "Best..."/Viewers get a happy ending?
    - "Best..."/Viewers were unlikely to see the eventual ending coming?
    - "Best..."/Viewers were left with a really amazing lead in to a forthcoming sequel?

Astonishing Member

The ending of 'Skeleton Key' always springs to mind

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    In the Mouth of Madness had a great one.

I'm also really fond of the twist at the end of Fallen.
    Fallen had a great ending especially because they used Denzel's voice for Azazel , cant disagree.
    Last edited by Rev9; 10-25-2022 at 05:30 AM.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

I love stories where the bad guy wins because it is just so unexpected. Think about it, how many movies are not a Hero's Journey where the protagonist gets exactly what they want, no matter how contrived or forced the plot is to get them there. So, we usually only see the villain win when the protagonist is the bad guy, such as horror films.

I liked the ending of Jeepers Creepers where the Creeper wears the kid like a suit. Wicker Man was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    The ending of 'Skeleton Key' always springs to mind
    I liked the twist in this, I wasn't thrilled with the movie in general.

Fallen had a great ending especially because they used Denzel's voice for Azazel , cant disagree.
    Fallen was fantastic! One of my favorites. SPOILER

"You forgot...I said I was going to tell you about the time I almost died..."
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

For me it was the ending of the first Saw movie. To me it was a pretty good twist.

I also really enjoyed the ending of The Night of the Living Dead remake (The one in the 90's with Tony Todd) it showed people getting organized and fighting back but you knew it was going to fail because it was just a bunch of Rednecks with very little origination and you were just waiting for it to all go to pot.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

As a kid and not used to the tropes yet, actually watching the movies that made the tropes of today, movies that legitimately scared me as a child were the unexpected final scares, so Phantasm I, the Tall man really scared me as a kid, the first Nightmare on Elm Street because you have to sleep. it is funny now because even after the boogey man is dispatched you are dubious because of the trope and the fact that hey we need sequels but as a kid I never knew that. Oh and of course mentioned before but Fallen, didn't see that coming.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I love stories where the bad guy wins because it is just so unexpected. Think about it, how many movies are not a Hero's Journey where the protagonist gets exactly what they want, no matter how contrived or forced the plot is to get them there. So, we usually only see the villain win when the protagonist is the bad guy, such as horror films.

I liked the ending of Jeepers Creepers where the Creeper wears the kid like a suit. Wicker Man was pretty good.

I liked the twist in this, I wasn't thrilled with the movie in general.

Fallen was fantastic! One of my favorites. SPOILER

"You forgot...I said I was going to tell you about the time I almost died..."
    Fallen is one of the best, one of my fave too,and Elias Koteas at the beginning gave a great performance .Hobbes was just unfortunate to pique the interest of a REAL mafioso "but i'm still having fun, aren't you still having fun?"
    Last edited by Rev9; 10-25-2022 at 09:38 AM.

Evil Dead 2.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Fallen is one of the best, one of my fave too,and Elias Koteas at the beginning gave a great performance .Hobbes was just unfortunate to pique the interest of a REAL mafioso "but i'm still having fun, aren't you still having fun?"
    Have you ever seen the Stephen King miniseries Storm of the Century? The production value is pretty low because it is Made for TV, but the story was great. The demon Linoge was played perfectly by Colm Fiore and the ending was SO satisfying. I actually used the ending as the background for a D&D character once long ago.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Mighty Member

The Mist (2007)