Extraordinary Member

Default The Hollywood Reporter - 15 Scariest Movies of All Time

Plenty of people - myself included - have posted threads about the scariest movies of all time.

I chose to post this one for several reasons: 1) it's an international list; 2) some of my personal favorites are on the list; 3) there's some films I've never seen - or even heard of before; 4) it's not as predictable as most scary movie lists; and 5) it's put together by a professional movie critic.

I won't print the list here in the thread. It's better to view the link and countdown from 15 to 1 yourself. I personally think it's a pretty great list although it's not perfect by any means. But it includes some surprising and really great scary movies.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ror-halloween/

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Admirable list in that it sees thru how certain films are categorized in order to see them for what they are. Uncannily, I told my best friend about a year ago that I felt Funny Games (1997), an amazing film in so many ways, was a horror film and so therefore I was including it in my custom horror DVD set (yes, I make these crazy DVD compendiums based on genres/directors/actors). He and I had just watched Funny Games shortly before I told him that, and when I said that, he agreed after I explained why, we even discussed about how it's an untraditional one (where few look at it that way).

And there's like one I need to see for the first time (The Strangers, which I don't believe I have seen, though I could be wrong, and sometimes when watching a film I think I haven't seen, I realize I have seen it).

Overall, a decently balanced list. A good mixture of bold and yet safe picks. Such lists are damned hard (which is why I always consult many many lists and never just one or two). If I was ever forced to make lists, I would never ever just do 10 or 15, but 20 or 50 or higher.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-21-2022 at 12:33 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Admirable list in that it sees thru how certain films are categorized in order to see them for what they are. Uncannily, I told my best friend about a year ago that I felt Funny Games (1997), an amazing film in so many ways, was a horror film and so therefore I was including it in my custom horror DVD set (yes, I make these crazy DVD compendiums based on genres/directors/actors). He and I had just watched Funny Games shortly before I told him that, and when I said that, he agreed after I explained why, we even discussed about how it's an untraditional one (where few look at it that way).

And there's like one I need to see for the first time (The Strangers, which I don't believe I have seen, though I could be wrong, and sometimes when watching a film I think I haven't seen, I realize I have seen it).

Overall, a decently balanced list. A good mixture of bold and yet safe picks. Such lists are damned hard (which is why I always consult many many lists and never just one or two). If I was ever forced to make lists, I would never ever just do 10 or 15, but 20 or 50 or higher.
    I am definitely adding Funny Games and The Strangers to my list of October movies to watch. Never seen either and I love to watch 'new' scary films near Halloween.

And I agree about the number of films on the list. A few years ago when my nephew was stationed overseas in the military, I compiled a list of my favorite 50 scary movies (with title, year it came out, and a paragraph summary of each film) because I knew he was desperate for something to read and he loves scary movies. It was a lot of fun creating that list and he wrote me back that not only did he love the list, but everyone in his unit was begging to read it as well.
    Last edited by caj; 10-20-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I am definitely adding Funny Games and The Strangers to my list of October movies to watch. Never seen either and I love to watch 'new' scary films near Halloween.
    Funny Games (the original 1997 version) is definitely worth a see. It has a Criterion Collection release that it well deserves. It's definitely one of my favorite foreign films ever, it's an Austrian film. Definitely one of my favorite films of all time as well.

It's a film that defies easy or neat categorization and subverts expectations like you can't believe.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Never been a fan of Rosemary’s Baby, it is far from the top 10 in scary movies... It insist upon itself.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 10-21-2022 at 06:15 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Never been a fan of Rosemary’s Baby, it is far from the top 10 in scary movies... It insist up itself.
    Everyone is different. Rosemary's Baby is in my Top 10 all-time favorite scary movies.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Surprisingly excellent list. The only films on there I haven't watched are Paranormal Activity and The Strangers. I've mostly heard bad things about the latter.

I did not find The Blair Witch Project scary, or good for that matter. And I think the TCSM was more shock and gore than scary.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Surprisingly excellent list. The only films on there I haven't watched are Paranormal Activity and The Strangers. I've mostly heard bad things about the latter.
    I found Paranormal Activity very boring. 90 minutes waiting for something to happen...Then it's over...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I found Paranormal Activity very boring. 90 minutes waiting for something to happen...Then it's over...
    It's funny how different things affect people in a different way.

I slept with the light on for three days after watching Paranormal Activity. Scared the bejeebees out of me.