Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I don't blame any particular fan base for the in-fighting. The fault lies with DC. The run from the 1980's showed multiple Earth Lanterns could coexist, and shine. Since the 1990's, DC made foolishly created a pecking order, and eventually the stories featuring the top GL at the time would grow stale which only exacerbated the grievances of the fractured fan base.

If the stories are good, and everyone gets opportunities to shine, not many will complain. I hope the HBO creative team can accomplish this.
    This right here, is the correct answer. And movies like into the spiderverse showed the way.

The dirty little secret about peoples preferred characters is that much of it is identity based. The reason a lot of people bitched and moaned about star trek discovery before a single episode was released was because there was a black female lead, and some of the white fans of star trek wanted a lead that looked more like them, that they could literally identify with and see themselves as.

That is the explicit argument for sticking more black people in movies, representation and all that, but it's often seen as some sort of zero sum game. But with an ensemble cast and a show focused on a green lantern core, just like spiderverse with spider people from different dimensions, you literally don't have to have one identity size fits all.

/wild tangent on attractiveness

And for gods sakes, get the casting right. I think part of the backlash about Finn was not that he was black (part, not all, some people were legit complaining about seeing a black face on their screen), it's that he was ugly. Poe and Rey were fairly good looking people that were cast, and when it comes to the black guy, it's like who gives a damn, just any face will do. There are throngs of much better looking black guys that could have been cast, but that is what passes.

Can anyone imagine them casting a younger Clint Howard as Han Solo? I mean come on. Luke/Han/Leia were all appealingly cast when the movies were originally made. But when it comes to the black male face, just ANY face will do to check off the box of inclusion. And yes, I know not every role requires some kind of adonis like figure, but series like star wars should lean into that more. I say that about Finn as someone who is half black, and I was thinking, THAT is the "cool" black guy they went with? fml, latinos get freaking Oscar Isaac and not paul rodriguez, we get Boyega? F M L!

/end of wild tangent

see there? What I just expressed had nothing to do with logic or reason, it bubbled up from internal preferences inside my head, and that is where a lot of the identity stuff comes from too

And the best solution, is to show multiple identities.
    Last edited by Sammael; 12-26-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Should the other color corps exist? Should Sinestro still be a GL or should it take place after his heel turn? How should the Guardians be treated? What non-human characters do you most want to see? Which alien characters can we skip in the first season?
    I'd say avoid the Rainbow Corps for a bit, if not ditch them altogether. They were great in the Johns run through at least Blackest Night, but after that it's clear there isn't too much to be done with them. After all, aside from some slight differences, they all have the same basic power set and visuals, just with different colors.

Just stick to Sinestro and one Star Sapphire (Carol). Maybe introduce Atrocitus alongside the rest of the Empire of Tears, but hold off on a full Red Lantern corps.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Just stick to Sinestro and one Star Sapphire (Carol). Maybe introduce Atrocitus alongside the rest of the Empire of Tears, but hold off on a full Red Lantern corps.
    They should fit Dex star in there. Can't miss out on the meme potential of a super powered rage cat.

Should the other color corps exist? Should Sinestro still be a GL or should it take place after his heel turn? How should the Guardians be treated? What non-human characters do you most want to see? Which alien characters can we skip in the first season?
    I feel like they could introduce the other colors later, but try to pace it well. There's merit to not trying to do too much at once.

Most DC media adaptions, particularly by Greg Berlanti, utilize the stuff from Geoff Johns' runs on the characters (I think Berlanti and Johns are friends?) so I wouldn't be surprised if that is true here. I mean, on it's own the Johns run could carry 3-4 seasons with the amount of major storylines it had.

Whichever GL they end up using, I can't see Sinestro not being a major villain at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    A lot of people got tired of the rainbow corps, me included so I'll say let's just roll it back to there only being a yellow ring wielded by Sinestro. And yes, introduce Sinestro as a villain with the yellow ring. I don't need to see his heelturn played over the series. I'm more interested in new sci-fi stories with the GLC.
    I don't think there's any point to showing the heelturn unless the GL is Hal, unless whichever GL they use gets Hal's entire dynamic with Sinestro.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Can we please not bring back this cancer again?

Green Lantern can be an ensemble shows as it should, problem solved. Anything else we can discuss?
    The issue will NOT be solved.

Because we have seen how SOME ensemble shows treat POC. Like they don't exist, only got to work and that is it, needed for the racism/BLM/interracial dating story, stereotypical or pandering origin, Tumblr eye candy or to be the LGBTQ person.

Because the writers are NOT interested in them and devote more to others.

See Orlando Jones about the POC on American Gods-he fleshed them out himself not the writing team.
    Star Trek TNG had to rewrite stories originally meant for Picard and gave them to Laforge.
    TNT's Perception writers got an earful over the lack of use of Arjay Smith by the producers.
    What purpose does Titus Makin Jr serve on the Rookie aside being gay and son of a police chief?

And if we are talking a show with Hal, Guy, Kyle, Jessica, Simon, Far Sector Lantern Jo Mullein and John.

I don't need to see an episode to see WHO gets screwed. John. With Simon, Guy & Kyle behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Why are we bringing race into this? I wasn't even thinking about that, but just seeing Hal and John play off of each other as part of the cast dynamic.

I don't much care whether GL is Hal or John. (I favor Hal a little because he was the first and the one I grew up with, but I don't favor him enough to be upset if they went with John.) But why is Earth the only place in the galaxy with multiple GLs? Pick Hal or John or Guy, for that matter, but there should be only one GL!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I don't much care whether GL is Hal or John. (I favor Hal a little because he was the first and the one I grew up with, but I don't favor him enough to be upset if they went with John.) But why is Earth the only place in the galaxy with multiple GLs? Pick Hal or John or Guy, for that matter, but there should be only on GL!
    Seeing how Earth is always the center of universe spanning disasters in the DCU Earth having a couple of Lanterns seems reasonable to me. Expecting one person to monitor an entire space sector sounds very inefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Seeing how Earth is always the center of universe spanning disasters in the DCU Earth having a couple of Lanterns seems reasonable to me. Expecting one person to monitor an entire space sector sounds very inefficient.
    And yet that's how the GL Corp works.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

And the results speak for themselves. The Guardians aren't very good at their jobs so the Earth GL's are always having to save the day/rally the troops.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    And the results speak for themselves. The Guardians aren't very good at their jobs so the Earth GL's are always having to save the day/rally the troops.
    In other words, writers are always having to come up with interesting stories. Because it's not interesting when things go according to plan.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The pre-COIE Lanterns I think were more powerful in general, so it worked out fine. Also helped the universe seem much vaster.

At most, the situation warrants two Earth GLs, but the amount they have now is serious overkill. Especially when you factor in that Hal's space sector also includes Superman and Supergirl, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    /wild tangent on attractiveness

And for gods sakes, get the casting right. I think part of the backlash about Finn was not that he was black (part, not all, some people were legit complaining about seeing a black face on their screen), it's that he was ugly. Poe and Rey were fairly good looking people that were cast, and when it comes to the black guy, it's like who gives a damn, just any face will do. There are throngs of much better looking black guys that could have been cast, but that is what passes.

Can anyone imagine them casting a younger Clint Howard as Han Solo? I mean come on. Luke/Han/Leia were all appealingly cast when the movies were originally made. But when it comes to the black male face, just ANY face will do to check off the box of inclusion. And yes, I know not every role requires some kind of adonis like figure, but series like star wars should lean into that more. I say that about Finn as someone who is half black, and I was thinking, THAT is the "cool" black guy they went with? fml, latinos get freaking Oscar Isaac and not paul rodriguez, we get Boyega? F M L!

/end of wild tangent
    ...who the hell is Finn? Are you referencing a movie or show or something?

...who the hell is Finn? Are you referencing a movie or show or something?
    Think its a Star Wars tangent.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Think its a Star Wars tangent.
    Yup and I think John Boyega is pretty cool and a good actor