Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    When Johns was writing GL it was pretty much one blockbuster event after another. A lot of things huge events happened around Hal but he wasn't at the center of any of them. The villains push those plots forward moreso than he did. Sinestro got more development during Johns run than the books lead. I can arguably say the same for Atrocitus.
    Superhero comics and events being driven by villains is largely a standard, why is it a ding against Hal when one could say the same about most blockbuster event comics?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

When Johns was writing GL it was pretty much one blockbuster event after another. A lot of things huge events happened around Hal but he wasn't at the center of any of them. The villains push those plots forward moreso than he did. Sinestro got more development during Johns run than the books lead. I can arguably say the same for Atrocitus.
    All I'm getting from this is "I didn't like any of it so therefore it sucks and doesn't count." Like villains always drive the plot in DC's big events, why the sudden double standard when it comes to Hal?

All I can say is, if the other Lanterns maybe don't have much else going on that they always need to poach Hal's stuff, it doesn't really indicate that he's the weak link. Sort of like the Supergirl show using a lot of Superman's villains because there isn't much to work with as a solo act. I'd say Jo Mullein may be shaping up to be the best non-Hal GL for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Superhero comics and events being driven by villains is largely a standard, why is it a ding against Hal when one could say the same about most blockbuster event comics?
    Batman sucks because all his events are driven by the Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea WTF this better be a red Haring or they better have big plans on film for Hal and John . Ressurect that buddy cop movie they wanted to do with before the planned Snyderverse fell apart

Could swore the rumor mill last week was Michale B Jordan was meeting with WBs about starring in a DC franchise and people were saying he was gonna be John Stewart in this show.... guess not. Id be happy with Guy if he wasn't the main character or if Batman shows up and knocks him out and everyone screams one punch and world star in the background. Lol in all seriousness I like assholr characters I mean my avatar is Namor. Guy was just never that interesting to me. I need Hal or John to be the character I care about and just let Guy be a dick. Iono much about Cruz and Baz maybe they will cool. Wasnt Baz a gangster or something? And he uses a gun? Iono i might be confused.
    Simon's not a gangster. He has a chip on his shoulder because of how he's looked at for his race and street races, but deep down he has a good
    Comic Hal is garbage just like movie Hal. There's no version of that character that isn't a bland, uninterest piece of cardboard. He's no good as the lead of a franchise.
    Have you ever watched Green Lantern: The Animated Series?
    Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Whatever happened to the John Diggle GL series that was VERY HEAVILY hinted at the end of Arrow tv series?
    I was never expecting that to become a full series.
    That was more true to the later run than the first half of his run, but even then Hal's relationships with the central characters was still pivotal to those stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Simon's not a gangster. He has a chip on his shoulder because of how he's looked at for his race and street races, but deep down he has a good

That was more true to the later run than the first half of his run, but even then Hal's relationships with the central characters was still pivotal to those stories.
    Ok I thought he was like a reformed gangbanger or something. Which to be fair growing up I knew alot of Gangsters who were good people. Alot of it was just because that's where you lived. But ok he was just an angry kid with a chip on his shoulder? Why the gun then? Maybe I'm mixing shit up but he's the GL who carries a Glock around with him right

Baz was a street racer and a car thief, so he's not clean-cut. Was Johns trying to tap into the "F&F" fans?

Fantastic Member

The only reason i can see them leaving out the 3 most important lanterns is that they will be in movies...and this is the lantern C squad to serve as a supplement to those films.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I did. Razer made that show for me. It did nothing for me when it came to Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Cruz and Baz had no biz being GLs....they should have been members of any of the other corps.
    So, a character who's whole deal is that they struggle with clinical anxiety (e.g. needing to overcome fear just to function as a person -- y'know, what Green Lanterns do?) should've been any other corps then the green one? That literally makes no sense.

(I do not get the hostility to the new Lantern characters. As we've seen with the likes of John Stewart, Hal Jordan will always be the "one and only" Green Lantern while the rest just fill out the ranks, if we're lucky. Why so afraid?)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I liked Hal on that show but without Razor and Kilowag iono if I woulda liked it as much. I was never a huge GL fan in the comics. So the biggest Influence on me was the cartoons. So John Stewart is Green Lantern for me. I was a comic fan so I knew Hal just never got into him really. There is a probaly alot of people my age who didnt read comics who think John Stewart is the OG Green Lantern .

With Hal I mostly just liked him when he was paired up with Green Arrow. So I get the not being big on him in the comics. As someone who hasnt read a GL comics in over a decade. Guy is the only character here im familiar with. Well I know Scott but don't give two shits about him. Why no Kyle? Wonder if Kyle is being saved for film with the big Two.

I wouldn't mind an anthology show with Green Lantern. Each lantern gets an episode. Id love a Kilowag Origin story episode (this show gonna probaly be pushing it budget wise as is. So full CGI characters are probaly gonna be used sparingly). Anyway if your not using the popular Lanterns making it an Anthology show could be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    So, a character who's whole deal is that they struggle with clinical anxiety (e.g. needing to overcome fear just to function as a person -- y'know, what Green Lanterns do?) should've been any other corps then the green one? That literally makes no sense.

(I do not get the hostility to the new Lantern characters. As we've seen with the likes of John Stewart, Hal Jordan will always be the "one and only" Green Lantern while the rest just fill out the ranks, if we're lucky. Why so afraid?)
    I think it's more that DC had trouble juggling the four Earth Lanterns they already had before they added Jess and Simon. 6 Earth GLs is pretty ridiculous. Arguably so is half that number. Though I actually like Jess the most after Hal and think she'd work best as his partner, and her deal works better with green than any other color.

I wouldn't say the hostility only comes from Hal fans either, or that they are the only ones who bash other Lanterns. At least on this site, we've had some John Stewart fans bash Hal in his own appreciation thread

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I wouldn't say the hostility only comes from Hal fans either, or that they are the only ones who bash other Lanterns. At least on this site, we've had some John Stewart fans bash Hal in his own appreciation thread
    With just as many Hal fans be hostile and belittling to John Stewart including his former artist and even Kyle and Superman fans join in.

Majority of John fans have asked why can't it be everybody versus just one. Why is it John in Justice League an issue when Hal has a mini series going on?
    There have been some hostile Hal site that go after John way more than the rest.

Because they are viewed as THREATS to Hal.

Now in reality-they do fill out the ranks.

Example I know kids who had ZERO interest in reading about Peter Parker. Miles Morales shows up and kids like him. Now some of those same kids are now looking into not jus Peter Parker but Gwen, Spider-Ham and even Venom. Because eventually all these guys interact.

How many books have starred Peter??? Miles and Venom have their books. None at the expense of Peter.

Green Lantern's issue is Hal is the only one that matters. SCREW everybody else. Green Lantern is about a police force not Hal Jordan worship. What was the point of Jessica/Simon's 4 year run and Jo's book if they just get buried later on for Hal?

It's bad optics to see POC (yes even Kyle) pushed aside for a certain person. When you don't need to do that. You would think 2 (soon to be 3) GOTG movies would be a HINT.

And no this is not Hal bashing-this is a folks in charge of DC issue that they started. This is what happens when you hire fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    With just as many Hal fans be hostile and belittling to John Stewart including his former artist and even Kyle and Superman fans join in.

Majority of John fans have asked why can't it be everybody versus just one. Why is it John in Justice League an issue when Hal has a mini series going on?
    There have been some hostile Hal site that go after John way more than the rest.
    Are they doing it in the appreciation thread? If Hal fans are bashing John in his appreciation thread that isn't remotely cool either and they should cut that crap out. I don't go in that appreciation thread because I'm not overly invested in John, so I have no reason to be in there. But I do post in the Hal thread and you and a couple other posters brought these topics in there when it really wasn't the appropriate place for it. We'd be rightfully called out for it if we did in John's (and maybe people have, and the deserved to be called out).

A lot of John fans want him to be the singular lead over the others, not every John fan is asking for equal treatment for everybody. From what I've seen, Hal fans are ok with the idea of him being a co-lead with John and/or somebody like Jess in the movie. But I don't see a lot of vice versa. Hal shouldn't be included at all apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ok I thought he was like a reformed gangbanger or something. Which to be fair growing up I knew alot of Gangsters who were good people. Alot of it was just because that's where you lived. But ok he was just an angry kid with a chip on his shoulder? Why the gun then? Maybe I'm mixing shit up but he's the GL who carries a Glock around with him right
    His ring was unreliable so that's why he used the gun in case it shorted out on him. He eventually stopped using it.
    Oh. Well, I thought Josh Keaton and the writing for Hal were pretty great, but to each their own .

I think it's more that DC had trouble juggling the four Earth Lanterns they already had before they added Jess and Simon. 6 Earth GLs is pretty ridiculous. Arguably so is half that number. Though I actually like Jess the most after Hal and think she'd work best as his partner, and her deal works better with green than any other color.
    Guess I don't see the problem but fair enough.

That's way out of hand. I will freely admit I have no use for Hal as a character (no offense, but that's always the first character that comes to mind r.e. the thing about the boring white guy always coming back as the "one true" whatever mantle in question at the expense of far more interesting minority characters made years after the fact). But, I do get that other people like the character and that's totally fair. Appreciation threads should be "safe spaces" for the subject in question and avoided if you don't like the subject matter. Plenty of other places to express your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because they are viewed as THREATS to Hal.

Now in reality-they do fill out the ranks.

Example I know kids who had ZERO interest in reading about Peter Parker. Miles Morales shows up and kids like him. Now some of those same kids are now looking into not jus Peter Parker but Gwen, Spider-Ham and even Venom. Because eventually all these guys interact.

How many books have starred Peter??? Miles and Venom have their books. None at the expense of Peter.

Green Lantern's issue is Hal is the only one that matters. SCREW everybody else. Green Lantern is about a police force not Hal Jordan worship. What was the point of Jessica/Simon's 4 year run and Jo's book if they just get buried later on for Hal?

It's bad optics to see POC (yes even Kyle) pushed aside for a certain person. When you don't need to do that. You would think 2 (soon to be 3) GOTG movies would be a HINT.

And no this is not Hal bashing-this is a folks in charge of DC issue that they started. This is what happens when you hire fanboys.
    Yeah, I wish the other notable Lanterns got the Miles treatment. As far as people being afraid of threats, I think when we're only interested in a specific character (for some people it's Hal, for me it's Jessica), we want them to have a spotlight 24/7. Understandable, but becomes unreasonable very quickly if not kept in check. Still, hard to be the fan of the character who's spot isn't reserved by default, though.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

His ring was unreliable so that's why he used the gun in case it shorted out on him. He eventually stopped using it.

Oh. Well, I thought Josh Keaton and the writing for Hal were pretty great, but to each their own .
    Putting my dislike for Hal aside I'm mixed on the GL animated show. I liked the supporting cast, Razer was great and Bruce Timm style translated to CG well. I didn't like how the Red Lanterns became generic villains, Sinistero was in just one episode and the use of the anti-monitor wasn't to my liking.