Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

I guess the bare minimum basic references and names is all people need to be satisfied.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I think the only thing learned from Joker is that if you make an interesting and/or entertaining film, and market the **** out of it, then people will likely go see it. But also, Joker has name & fame value. If you take Joker out of the title, and all the other Batman elements that were placed in it, it doesn't make nearly as much money. Still probably an interesting movie that I would like, but not a $1 billion film. I think that's just being honest.

It is nice that Joker demonstrates you can make a smaller budget comic book movie that can be wildly successful. But you couldn't do a Superman film on this kind of budget and with the deviation from the source material and have it do as well. It's really a case-by-case basis.

Joker proves that when something becomes successful the people who hate it will come up with all kinds of reasons for why it succeeded that have nothing to do with the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the majority of people actually liked it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Joker proves that when something becomes successful the people who hate it will come up with all kinds of reasons for why it succeeded that have nothing to do with the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the majority of people actually liked it.
    lol

Well, like most of these type of debates on the Internet, Joker is an obstacle for those people who 1) don't like grim/dark and a more realistic take and 2) can't allow something positive to be said about WB/DC that has zero to do with the success of Marvel movies. Having said that, if all WB has to do is plaster the Joker's name everywhere for it to make a billion every time it releases any film, then they would be fools not to do so.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

Which raises the question, if it were really just a matter of slapping a popular IP name on a movie and you could get away with a smaller budget, not have to play in China and still make a billion dollars--why has no one done this before? Why wouldn't Disney just slap on the names of all their IPs (which they have tons of), spend less than a hundred mill on each and reap the rewards--without ever having to please China's dictatorial regime, where they get a much smaller cut of the pie?

JOKER clearly did do something different and proved to Hollywood that there are other ways to make big money, rather than the standard practice. And not to see that is sticking your head in the sand to avoid the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Which raises the question, if it were really just a matter of slapping a popular IP name on a movie and you could get away with a smaller budget, not have to play in China and still make a billion dollars--why has no one done this before? Why wouldn't Disney just slap on the names of all their IPs (which they have tons of), spend less than a hundred mill on each and reap the rewards--without ever having to please China's dictatorial regime, where they get a much smaller cut of the pie?

JOKER clearly did do something different and proved to Hollywood that there are other ways to make big money, rather than the standard practice. And not to see that is sticking your head in the sand to avoid the obvious.
    Exactly. If you're making a short list of impressive achievements in regard to CB films, Joker has to be on it. Now it isn't going to be, or should be, the template for all films of that genre from now on, but every now and then? Yep.

Astonishing Member

Justice League changed things I think...

Rather than invest big bucks (and potentially big losses) into their movies, DCU started to diversify a bit.

You had movies on a low budget like Joker.

You also had movies on a mid-sized budget like Shazam! that was targetted mainly at a younger audience.

DC wants a "horror type" movie featuring the Trench that will also be a low budget movie more than likely.

Birds of Prey is also going to be a lower budget flick aimed at a female audience.

Still hoping we see a comedy Booster Gold/JLI/Superbuddies movie come out.

I would have loved to see a lower budget, more street level Suicide Squad movie (R-Rated) movie as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Really at it proved is you make another arthouse movie and put a popular name on it people will see it and act like it's brilliant for doing so.
    And now I'll probably never get a real Joker movie, one of my favorite characters and he's used as nothing more than a name to pad out someone's pockets.
    Disgusting.
    Last edited by Skullkid; 12-19-2019 at 02:50 AM.

I am happy for that.

But I even with that probably I will not see the next batman movie.. I donīt like the new batman.

Well as many know I hated the first trailer for this. It was jokers name on a trailer that had nothing to do with the joker! My first reaction was after the trailer "I don't want to see a joker movie that's taxi driver with make up! I want to see a joker movie!" Joker has had his own comic and was the main star in batman tas episodes so he can carry his own story and still be the joker. Yes you have the waynes but replace them with any rich family and nothing changes. Rename the city, waynes and joker and it's still the same movie! Call it "fluffy the clown" and nothing changes! Not good at all for a ip movie when you can take the main character out from that ip and it changes nothing!

As for it making a million. Yes that's a good job. WB will always have that. But remember avator was the highest grossing movie for years and after a year no one cared about it! Costumes for Halloween stop selling it and no one even remembered the names of the heroes! Everyone knows ET, luke skywalker and even jack and rose but no one cares about avator! Ironic thing is it's big claim of fame right now is a Disneyworld ride!

With the second movie that may change but point is avator made tons of cash and it was just a rip-off of dances with wolfs and ferngully! Just as people are saying joker is a rip-off of taxi driver and the king of comedy!

That was my thoughts BEFORE seeing the film. What did I think of it after I saw it? Did I still think it was a rip-off?

Would the joker have been this big of a hit if it didn't have the jokers name? Heck no! (but i'm sure would still have done well) But should you be surprised a joker movie did good? Only one movie with the joker did bad and that was mask of the phantasm. Even ss did well at the box office! The dark knight and 89 batman are two of the highest grossing batman films and both have the joker. Heck 89 was pretty much a joker movie guest starring batman! Everyone knows the joker. He is the most know comic book bad guy in the world next to lex luthur! He has been in movies, comics, toys, cartoons, books, t shirts and even on seseme street! Yes joker was on seseme street!

Sounds like i hate joker right? I hated this movie after seeing it right? Not really. Was it the greatest movie of all time! Nah. Was it trash. Nah! It was fine. Thought it was ok. Was not as bad as I thought it was and less taxi driver then it looked. (but you can still see taxi driver there) So yeah I didn't think joker was that bad of a movie after hating the trailers! As for joker acting not like the joker, to me joker is just another "elseworlds story". Same with marvel films. Heck movie and cartoon versions have showed up in main universes of marvel and dc like ultimate Spider-Man and the superman tas supergirl. I see not problem with a new version as it's just another version.

So yeah i'm fine with joker. Not the best movie but not the worst. Did joker change everything? Nah. But I hope I shows WB they can make a comic movie without a huge budget. Will I be mad if joker wins a academy award? No. Why would I be? Joker was a ok film to me. Not the best. Not the worst.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 12-19-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Would the joker have been this big of a hit if it didn't have the jokers name? Heck no! (but i'm sure would still have done well) But should you be surprised a joker movie did good?
    The funny thing is I can't recall anybody saying it would be anywhere near a billion before its release. Now I knew it would make a profit based on its small budget and creative team, but beyond that I had no real clue where it would wind up. The name Joker by itself (or Batman, Star Wars, Spidey, Marvel), etc.) can guarantee only so many tickets sold.

Good post, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullkid View Post
    Really at it proved is you make another arthouse movie and put a popular name on it people will see it and act like it's brilliant for doing so.
    Yeah because as we all know, movies with popular names attached have never failed before.

he's used as nothing more than a name to pad out someone's pockets.
    Disgusting.
    I got news for you: this is all every comic i.p. is used for.

It's amazing what good acting and good story when applied to the right IP can do...this one had it all. To me, it was not much more than an up to date Alex DeLarge

Well, thank you! I try not to brag��

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It is always funny when people like to bring up how much a movie they liked made to prove that it is great while at the same time will dismiss the money aspect if its a movie they hated. Joker is amazing because it made a billion dollars. Venom is trash no matter how much money it made.