Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dawn of X books overview thread, thoughts and opinions

What are your thoughts on all the books so far? There are too many various issue threads and I wanted to see if there were other struggling with getting through these new series post hox/pox. If you love them what have you enjoyed about them and what works for you? Posting my comment from reddit below as ive been unable to finish this last batch of issues.

These dawn of x books are disappointing, how are you going to have the best x-men book in probably a decade or more in HOX/POX and then immediately kill arguably the best character in that mini series in professor x and pretty much ignore magneto for two books about psylocke and a story about sebastian shaw.

What the hell happened? I wasted 40 bucks on my last pull list, it was fun while it lasted. I feel like hox/pox was this elaborate scam of a story (albiet beautifully written and illustrated) to get us all excited about the x-men comics again and we're then immediately crashed back down to earth.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Marauders is not just about Shaw, but what's wrong with a story about Shaw? o.O

Xavier died but is already revived so what's the problem

Magneto has appeared in several books so far as well

Yes the Betsy/Kwannon push is a bit weird but it's needed since they just recently separated those two apart. They have to develop them each now, and there are other characters in both those books anyway...
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 12-15-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member

Overall really good with the exepetion of one problem child(FA)

Did you seriously think Charles wasn't coming back.

BANNED

I actually really like 3, maybe four of them. I feel like they're addressing broader issues that Hickman either couldn't in HOX/POX or just doesn't want to in his X-Men run and overall offering a much more balanced approach. I'm actually way more interested in the Krakoan concept for these books themselves, rather than from Hickman, lol.

--Excalibur: Loving how it's not only diving feet first into the fantastical, but addressing a most pressing issue--blended mutant and human families. I love how it's approached it with the appropriate tension and really uses Betsy, a character who might well be considered the embodiment of an identity crisis, as once again trapped between two worlds; the heritage she is so proud of and the life she wants to explore for herself on Krakoa. I also love how it addresses what it means for the human dependants who might yet pop up on Krakoa, so far as how Jubilee worries for whether or not Shogo is truly safe there with her without just resorting to "Oh, well, clearly they need to be separated." (At least so far, if it does then it's going straight down the list for me because that's just lazy.)

Fallen Angels: Again, the main cast exhibit a much more balanced view of the world they live in now vs that which they left behind. They're actually the one's feeling like classic X-Men: sticking up for the innocents caught in the middle on both sides.

Marauders: Admittedly, I liked issue #1 a lot more than #2 and #3. I'm intrigued at the prospect; what it might mean for mutants who can't get to or can't live on Krakoa, but so far I haven't really enjoyed what I'm seeing of as the main meat of the series, i.e, the hellfire club. Don't get me wrong, they are intriguing; I'm just not particularly endeared or really care about what it means for Shaw, Emma, ect. I want to see what it means from Kitty, Storm and the crew's perspective; but it's early days and it needs time to play out a bit more. I'll give it to its' first arc to see how it all pulls together.

--X-Force: I want to get into this one in #3 and #4. I love Domino. I hate what happened to Domino, but I'm dying to see how this affects her long-term--I also love what I've seen of Percy's voice for Logan even if the context for his reasoning could have been a bit better timed/paced.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Did you seriously think Charles wasn't coming back.
    I knew he'd come back but its issue one and we needed a big death. Already? Old habits an all

I’m liking some of them and I don’t care too much for some others. I’m mostly waiting to see what happens before I form an opinion on the whole bunch. I think it’s too early to tell. I’ll say this now: there are a bunch of characterization issues. Everyone is too okay and accepting with everything.

So far my favorites are New Mutants and X-Force. I’m not a big fan of the multi team aspect on New Mutants, although I do get why they did it. Plus, I want to see where it goes. I’m going to give it a few issues after Hickman leaves to see if I’m actually going to stay with the title. I like the humor, I’m a big fan of humorous books with fun plots. I did not even think I was going to like X-Force, but it has me intrigued. So I think there has to be something said for that, especially since I’m not a Quinten Quire fan.

I’m following Marauders, Excalibur and Fallen Angels. Tbh, I’m really not sure if I’ll be spending money on these series.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

I'm one of the people who hated HoX/PoX, so I wasn't expecting much from the relaunch. Its too early to make major judgment calls, but I will say the resurrections still feel like a mistake. No action scene has any tension, and they've already used it for cheap shock value like they always did before. And for all the characters they brought back, they've used almost none of them and defaulted to the same characters for most of the books. With such a massive cast the books did not need to be so white and straight.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I'm one of the people who hated HoX/PoX, so I wasn't expecting much from the relaunch. Its too early to make major judgment calls, but I will say the resurrections still feel like a mistake. No action scene has any tension, and they've already used it for cheap shock value like they always did before. And for all the characters they brought back, they've used almost none of them and defaulted to the same characters for most of the books. With such a massive cast the books did not need to be so white and straight.
    They are suing the same characters even ressurrecting a ton. I hope that the new books will use more diverse characters;

I didn't hated Hox/pox, but I'm dissapointed on dawn of X. i'm liking x-force and excalibur, but the other books need better writing.

What'd you hate about House and Powers?

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

Haven't read a lot of comics before, so I didn't have issues with continuity/characterization as others did as I am not familiar with them.

I loved HoXPoX. For someone who only knows the X-Men from the movies and the cartoons, it was both a primer and a game changer. I'm still getting chills when I think about the Moira reveal.

Not much a fan of the dialogue in x-Men. I've read a couple times in this forum that that is Hickman's style of writing, and I'm still getting used to it. Sometimes I feel like they are more instruments for exposition/mouthpiece for the author's philosophy instead of actual characters. They remind me of characters in Ayn Rand and Aldous Huxley novels. X-Force is beginning to seem more and more like the true successor of HoxPoX, not X-Men.

I *want* to love Fallen Angels. It was a great decision to give both Betsy and Kwannon their own storylines imo not just for us to tell them apart but to make them come alive. When I read Hill's interview in here what he said about this series moved me. Like, how he said it's a "love letter to all of us who are struggling to figure out where we belong in this world" and about "rediscovering your identity and reconciling with your history, and paving the way for your future." BUT. Almost everything on it is atrocious, including the art and the mentor-student relationship between Kwannon and Laura. I'm also not a fan of the manner with which they approached Kwannon's story; sometimes I think the series takes itself too seriously.

Marauders is gonna be so gay and I am here for it. I'm only reading Excalibur for Rictor and Jubilee.

I think I'm in the minority when I say I love the format for New Mutants. I like how the focus shifts from other new mutants. I'm guessing what this series want is to give the spotlight on all of the younger and newer mutants and see how they adopt to the new status quo when they were still getting used to being a mutant. I'm a sucker for "A day in the life of other/background/overlooked characters" episode formats.

I'm a fan of Sway, so I'm hoping they'll resurrect her and Petra. Plus, she can sub for Tempus.

I have never read an entire X-Men storyline (I only read Northstar's wedding and some Rictor x Shatterstar scenes). I'm so glad I chose to read HoXPoX and Dawn of X.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    What'd you hate about House and Powers?
    (TAKES AD DEEP, LOUD, LONG BREATH IN)

On second thought, I'd better not. This topic is barely one page in and I don't want to derail it with my very long speech about the many things I disliked/hated about HoXPoX. If you are interested I can DM you the short version.

I'd be rude to the person who posted the topic to derail it so quickly

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm absolutely loving DoX. It all feels so new and different.
    I love the connectivity of being part of one great story but still each book has its own tone and direction.
    I love the new Mutant Nation status quo.
    I love the seeming randomness of the various teams.
    I love the character development some X-Men...Kate, Elizabeth and Xavier...have received so far.
    My only nit is...the double-shipping.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

(TAKES AD DEEP, LOUD, LONG BREATH IN)

On second thought, I'd better not. This topic is barely one page in and I don't want to derail it with my very long speech about the many things I disliked/hated about HoXPoX. If you are interested I can DM you the short version.

I'd be rude to the person who posted the topic to derail it so quickly
    DMs are fine.

This is the best X-Men have been since Uncanny X-Force by Remender. Almost every book is good and the one that has fallen off (Fallen Angels lol) started really well but has unfortunately taken a turn for the worst imho.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.