Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default What has been the best part of Hickman's X-Men Era?

Hickman has pushed the X-Men in a brand new direction, and one thing is for sure: it has people taking notice. Gone are the days where the X-Men are constantly fighting for survival; they are now living in their own country and no longer taking crap from anyone. So, since we are six months in the era, the time has come to ask: what have you liked the most about it?

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    Gone are the days where the X-Men are constantly fighting for survival; they are now living in their own country and no longer taking crap from anyone.
    Although I didn't like the cold, cynical, and militaristic attitudes from them, regardless of how justified some people may say it is, I do appreciate Hickman decreasing the dystopian cloud that had been putting an increasingly big shadow over the X-Men in the last 20 or so years in favor of a more hopeful, fun, and varied series of storylines, as opposed to just focusing on extremely hostile prejudice extremely frequently, which probably has too much dissonance even when comparing that situation to real life minorities and became less fun and more dreary compared to Claremont's original run, which still had its enjoyable fun in spite of storylines like Days of Future Past and God Loves Man Kills.

BANNED

Hickman's run hasn't even had a full half-year (although it's dense enough that people think it's been around for a while).

So I wouldn't call it an era, yet. Give it another year or two.

I actually like practically everything about it. Favorites,
    -- Moira X.
    -- Charles and Magneto being like George Clooney and Brad Pitt in Ocean's Eleven.
    -- Cyclops being a Boss.
    -- Emma.
    -- Captain Kate Pryde.
    -- Apocalypse or --{A}-- as he calls himself.
    -- The Fabulous Mr. Sinister.
    -- The new Captain Britain.
    -- Krakoa's new expanded role as mutant and habitat and the entire organic versus technological thing.
    -- Flowers of Krakoa which is a really cool science-fiction concept.
    -- The Five.

To me this feels as strong as Morrison's New X-Men, as strong as the original Giant Size X-Men, as strong as Claremont's run.

All Hickman has to do is stick the landing and he will have achieved what almost no Marvel writer has achieved, a defining run on all three major Marvel teams -- FF, Avengers, X-Men,

BANNED

- Breathing life into •┤Ȧ├• after years of bad writing.

- THAT Destiny scene, and possibly more to come from her if resurrected.

- Scogan

Spectacular Member

The first three issues.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Blue dad
    (formerly know as Apocalypse)

BANNED

- Hordeculture

- Emma’s tuna pie

The entire hox/pox story line was a brilliant shake up of x-men and created an exciting foundation.

Marvel's minority metaphor finally getting a bit of wish fulfillment to go with the 24/7 hate crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Marvel's minority metaphor finally getting a bit of wish fulfillment to go with the 24/7 hate crimes.
    This.

I really didn’t know myself that instantaneous cooperation amongst mutants, endless resurrections, and in-canon way for every character to cheat death would make the X-Men feel so refreshing.

This is the X-Men I didn’t know I was asking for.

Additionally, I think we are arriving at a better place for nearly every character showcased from Monet to Kitty to Apocalypse, Sinister, Emma, the Shaws and the Hellfire Club in general (they’ve always been the corniest villain group to me), Betsy, Rictor, Pyro, Moira, the still-dead Destiny, Xavier, Magneto, Jean, CYPHER, MONDO!!!, Black Tom, Karima the Omega Sentinel, Franklin Richards, GOLDBALLS/EGG...everyone feels like they have a purpose and at the very least a seed of a new story. The Utopia era really made everyone feel so much more generic as simply X-embroidered soldiers.

I love how quirkiness is not built into the X-Mythos in a way that is unavoidable.

I think House of X itself was masterfully told in every regard. Quotable, epic, emotional, important, world-building masterpiece.

There’s a lot to love and the criticisms I do have are rooted in a renewed passion because I see so much promise.

-Blue Daddy

-Kawaii Black King

-Hordecultura

-Cyclops' drip

-The Coming of Captain Kate

-Single braincell Aussies

-The Thigh Emancipation Act of 2019

-X's drip

-Chuck, -[A]-, and Magoo forming THEM BOYS

-Goth Mommy Scientist GF

-Benjamin Percy, for a multitude of reasons

-Maestroneto's happiness
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Overall:

- The X-Men have a direction again for the first time since Morrison/Whedon.

- The franchise feels cohesive and the publishing release of titles feels deliberate and important.

- Shakes up, Set ups, and Surprises.

Best Scenes:

- Destiny putting Moira in her place.

- Emma's entrance.

- Apocalypse arrival on Krakoa.

- Xavier/Magneto dialogue/narration on as the Quiet Counsel dismisses.

Cons:

- The constant partying.

- Wallpaper characters are still mostly randoms.

- "X-Men" still feels like a Cyclops and family/friends solo.

Questions: Is this Krakoa the same as the one in Wolverine and the X-Men? It seems like Quentin Quire was able to communicate and they had a friendship.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

The fresh start and the feel the x-men matter again. That has been the best thing for me. I can feel it in the stories and in the artists they are putting in the books. X-men feel like they are be treated good again.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Drug Lord Kate with the tats and ****.

The best part of his run was HOX#2. Nothing else has even come close to the height of that issue. Still one of the best issues I’ve read in a longtime. I love everything Hickman has done with the character of Moira.